Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-18 New England Snow

Kevin W

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kevin W said:

Good morning guys. I hope you all had a great summer. I am all set and ready to go for another season. This worked out great last year, with all the event entries, and I will continue doing it this way from now on.
All I need to know now, is who is in for this season. Let me know here, or in PM. 

New England Snow

Password still works.  Thanks again for this tracker, both fun and useful.  Maybe I'll do the event-by-event this year instead of merely revising the total; I kind of resisted last year because 0.1" flurries don't seem to be "events", though they all count towards the total. 

11 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Count me in. Note location change.

Nice, you finally built a place up there?

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Looks like JSpin has another possible contender now for the top spot along with Alex in Bretton Woods.

Definitely. That area must average at least 120"...there's some spots near the crest that are prob 150"+...but I'm not sure if he's in one of them. It depends probably if he is far enough west to get the decaying lakeffect/upslope goods.  

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Alex is basically HIE...not a great spot for big snows.

Do you mean individual storm totals from Coastal's? Or overall season totals? Remember him complaining about some downsloping and warming during certain storms, but isn't he in a pretty prolific upslope zone for NH standards?

Its says 170" in last years table.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice, you finally built a place up there?

Definitely. That area must average at least 120"...there's some spots near the crest that are prob 150"+...but I'm not sure if he's in one of them. It depends probably if he is far enough west to get the decaying lakeffect/upslope goods.  

Right, he can chime in on exactly where is spot is, but looks maybe a little too far SE for the absolute max like near the 2200-2500 spots near Woodford which get porked on upslope and coastals, and from pretty much every wind direction..lol. Be curios how his spot did during that Nov 2016 Upslope storm.  Woodfrod had like 25-30" I think.  That would be good barometer on strictly upslope.

34 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Do you mean individual storm totals from Coastal's? Or overall season totals? Remember him complaining about some downsloping and warming during certain storms, but isn't he in a pretty prolific upslope zone for NH standards?

Its says 170" in last years table.

Yeah, I’d say Alex is in a pretty nice spot for upslope – I seem to recall days where he’d pick up some new snow and even PF and I didn’t have much of anything.  If he was at that elevation in the Northern Greens (assuming decent aspect), the snowfall average would probably be pushing toward 200”.  I think another issue might be that Alex isn’t at that location all the time?  So, depending on how well his camera system is permitting measurements, he may not be able to catch every event before settling plays a bit of a role, and we know how potent settling can be when it comes to upslope snow.

In any event it should be great to have more reports from snowy locations in the NNE mountains with Mitch’s new site.  These sorts of sites with potentially cool microclimate effects are typically quite underrepresented, but are some of the most fun to follow and discover the snowfall nuances that come from different types of storms.

I’d still put Alex a tick below jspin and Mitch though. Alex really had 170”? I don’t remember him posting his obs daily so maybe he did a lot better than my recollection. I thought I remembered him being disappointed with the upslope and easterly downslope at times.

I think BW claims 200”/yr. Onthesnow has 185” for the mtn last year. 

Archived