• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Let's Talk Winter!!

3 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

ILN saying 2"-3" is possible Monday along the I-70 corridor and not a peep about it from the OH crew! We must be spoiled after the 6" snowfall. lol

Ha!  We only got 3" Friday, but I think Hocking County got close to 6" where we are going this coming weekend for the annual winter hike at Old Man's Cave.  Should be a good snow pack this year ever though they're predicting a high near half a hundred on Sat!

10 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

Ha!  We only got 3" Friday, but I think Hocking County got close to 6" where we are going this coming weekend for the annual winter hike at Old Man's Cave.  Should be a good snow pack this year ever though they're predicting a high near half a hundred on Sat!

If the hike had been this weekend it would've been a perfect 'winter hike'!

33 minutes ago, buckeye said:

love snow on snow.   Very rare for us to get a nice snowfall followed by a nice refresher without losing any of the first snowfall.

1-3 looks like what all the models are agreeing on.  Cautious about buying into the high ratio thing.

Eh...the SREF Jacques are giving you a mean of 0.15" and at 15-to-1 would be 2 1/4". That's what I'd ride.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, vespasian70 said:

If the hike had been this weekend it would've been a perfect 'winter hike'!

Yea, that's our middle name, missed the perfect weekend for the winter hike by 1 week AGAIN THIS YEAR!

Ended up with 2.75"ish today, with compression of Friday's snow there's about 4.5 to 5" on the level IMBY.

32 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

A snow band set up over central OH for several hours last night so we ended up with 4.5" here in Newark. Not bad at all!

Hopefully Steve will chime in with a Newark total too.

NAM was right.  Looks like that may be the last decent snow of the month.

Pleasantly surprised on how this over-performed. Picked up ~1.5-2" through 4pm, then what looked like the back edge swung through between 5-6pm and dropped another 1.5". Then that light band of snow kept pushing NE from Kentucky and dropped another .5" through the overnight.

Nice weekend/72 hour total of approximately 10" IMBY and most of Central Ohio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osubrett2 said:

Pleasantly surprised on how this over-performed. Picked up ~1.5-2" through 4pm, then what looked like the back edge swung through between 5-6pm and dropped another 1.5". Then that light band of snow kept pushing NE from Kentucky and dropped another .5" through the overnight.

Nice weekend/72 hour total of approximately 10" IMBY and most of Central Ohio.

Thought the same thing.   Best 3 days of winter since that steroidal squall and clipper weekend back in 2015 (or 2014) that gave us 10" over the same timeframe on a weekend.   Awesome to have a few days with about 10" on the ground.   

Looks like we go on hiatus until possibly sometime in Feb.  Unless there's a biggie coming back, I'd be perfectly content with coasting into spring.

36 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

How much is on the ground in Columbus? And i don't think this hiatus will coast you into spring buckeye. I was just posting in the long range thread that seems a cold stormy pattern comes into play by mid Feb. 

I would say between 8 and 10, the friday night storm was with horizontal snows so it really was impossible to measure.   Best I could do was the top of my AC condensor which sits in a protected area by my house.

As far as the extended period....definitely looks stormy but also looks like the southeast ridge is going to be on steroids and it'll be cutter city.   I would guess that means better chances for you and especially the snow-starved Chicago area.    

So if I had to guess how things go in general.  We'll see some pretty strong cutters that may eventually come more south and east over time....which of course would set us up for one of our classic extremely late winter events.

Is it me or does it seem like the temperatures are trending down for this weekend supposed to have a high in the low 50s Sunday now it says mid-40s

48 minutes ago, Steve said:

Is it me or does it seem like the temperatures are trending down for this weekend supposed to have a high in the low 50s Sunday now it says mid-40s

Seems pretty steady to me. Maybe a slight downward trend.

Models were likely underestimating snow pack since none of global mid-long range models depicted us having a base of 8-10". We'll likely see a rebound later in the week or we'll "overachieve" once the snow starts to melt with clear, sunny skies and warmer temps beginning Friday. We always "overachieve" in cutter patterns, like this weekend.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

I would not be surprised by 50 at all. Model 2m temps are usually to overly cold. Heights are not going to build in front of this open wave like a stronger storm but that would have pushed it to 60, there is no cold air behind it either.

That snowpack is toaster than toast.