• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

Pretty strong consensus on a 3-5 range. GFS being the least generous.   Wouldn't take much for a surprise on the good side with that much moisture in the warm sector just barely south of us.  Speed of system being the limiting factor right now.   If this thing were a little slower it would be a classic heavy dump for i70 instead of what looks like a moderate event.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Pretty strong consensus on a 3-5 range. GFS being the least generous.   Wouldn't take much for a surprise on the good side with that much moisture in the warm sector just barely south of us.  Speed of system being the limiting factor right now.   If this thing were a little slower it would be a classic heavy dump for i70 instead of what looks like a moderate event.

This next system seems like there's going to be a very narrow (like a half county wide) dump of significant snow close to the I71 line rather than I70 (at least south of I70 that is), just NW of where ever the sleet/freezing rain line stops creeping north.

Good luck guys-- looks like an inch and a half of slop in SE Hamilton County....better odds of accumulation in N/NW Cincy. Hoping for a little extra punch of cold air through the column...someone said it on here-- "you have to smell the rain, to get the heavy snow".....not liking the NAM depiction of ice....will see what the 12 z says

I like ILN's 2-4" call, but wouldn't be surprised to see Central Ohio overachieve a bit (maybe 4-5") just like the 1/12/18 storm. Banding will set up along/just south of I-71 and wherever that sets up will cash in. Just like with that storm, highest totals will be east central Ohio as the storm heads east.

Second storm in a row where it pays off to be along/SE I-71 and not NW (Marysville, [mount] Bellefontaine) unlike our usual storm tracking.

Here is my call. I'm iffy on the ice as no mets have really mentioned it, but I didn't want to discount the fact that every model is showing significant sleet/freezing rain in the red sector. As for snow went with a blend of the EURO/NAM/CAN. Throwing the GFS out. Just doesn't seem bullish enough with the amount of moisture. Do, however like the track somewhat. At any rate, guess we'll see.

finalcall.jpg

I think this will be a nice thump from central to east-central Ohio...a lot of moisture and a decent LLJ feeding into it.  I'm definitely worried about the ****hole between the two areas of snow near Cleveland, but I think the juicier QPF will verify farther south.  Definitely agree some spots could see a quarter inch of ice in southern OH. 

40 minutes ago, JayPSU said:

Well, the 18Z RGEM and GFS also followed suit with a jump in snow totals too, though not as insane as the NAM.  They definitely appear to be sniffing something out.

All while the HRRR and RAP models are less generous and further south with the heaviest snowfall. Game of miles. Nowcast. Time to watch the radar sweeps and see where the heavy banding sets up. I'd gladly take a bump 25 miles north.

57 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

True, but the 18z is also known to be overly moist. This is a very fast moving event. Things won't always go right. The NAM simply can't be snow totals with that warm lift. With that kind of lift, it needs more ice.

I mean, it's heavier qpf than other models but it doesn't look bad with regards to ice and snow line. I mean it's showing an inch of ice in spots. Not sure where you're looking? Here is both the ice and snow map. 

snku_acc.us_ma (5).png

zr_acc.us_ma (2).png

1 hour ago, Angrysummons said:

The warm layers it is pushing north should have more ice in them. It is to snowy. I doubt it verifies though. I think the high res may lose this one.

That ice line looks to be further north than previously forecasted. I don't like that trend because we all know how it ends here in central OH when we battle the "warm tongue of death"!

12 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Noticed its been creeping up.   This is going to be an interesting one if you like quick hitting THUMPS.  Probably about 6 hours of heavy snow....in and out.  Morning rush is gonna be fun.

Yeah, definitely liking the trend. HRRR hinting at higher amounts is a good sign, although it isn't as robust as the NAM ... yet.

If anything I agree that last minute trends are supporting a juicer solution.  Given the amount of moisture involved and sharp temp gradients, not too surprising.  The involved vort maxes look reasonably robust which doesn't hurt.  

For Franklin County, I'd probably have a warning.  I'm thinking a 4-6" accum for Columbus, right in the middle of the band of heaviest snow.  That's marginal on amounts for a warning, but it'll be a somewhat denser snow falling in temps in the mid 20s and hitting quickly during the commute.  It'll be high impact.  Here are the maps I put on FB a little earlier, still seem reasonable. 

27503770_329203697586959_499839130439175  27709875_329203740920288_268713631194293

Archived