Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Let's Talk Winter!!

Steve

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have warned a long time snow enthusiast of mine that we have all seen this play out before....many, many time before. Don't fall for the trap. This will be an Indiana to Michigan storm. Ohioans should not get the slightest bit excited...if they want to avoid a later meltdown. The GFS is a cruel invention of diabolical masochists from north of the border...designed to. initially titillate...and then destroy those living in the Buckeye state in winter.

41 minutes ago, iluvsnow said:

I have warned a long time snow enthusiast of mine that we have all seen this play out before....many, many time before. Don't fall for the trap. This will be an Indiana to Michigan storm. Ohioans should not get the slightest bit excited...if they want to avoid a later meltdown. The GFS is a cruel invention of diabolical masochists from north of the border...designed to. initially titillate...and then destroy those living in the Buckeye state in winter.

While historically you might be right, recent history suggests there is a greater than average chance for Ohio.  Even the current event ended up with a bit more snow than expected, right?

Even the advertised big warmup in the extended is looking much colder, so perhaps even if this one is missed, you guys still have more to watch in what looks to be a much stormier pattern over the next few weeks.

20 minutes ago, jbcmh81 said:

While historically you might be right, recent history suggests there is a greater than average chance for Ohio.  Even the current event ended up with a bit more snow than expected, right?

Even the advertised big warmup in the extended is looking much colder, so perhaps even if this one is missed, you guys still have more to watch in what looks to be a much stormier pattern over the next few weeks.

Actually wrt the current 'event'....   I didn't bother to measure but it doesn't look like we have a fresh inch of snow out there.   It was a sloppy mixed event which is pretty much what the forecasts called for.

Recent history is one thing.... VERY recent history is another ( and is more relevant).   That would indicate a miss of some kind for us for the late week system.   I still think this will favor areas just to our nw but it's close enough to definitely keep my interest and the set up is definitely more favorable then we've seen for a long time around here.

I agree with you on what seems to be happening with the upcoming thaw....  it seems to be falling apart or at least has holes being shot into it, which is kind of interesting.

I think it's time to revive this thread. Totals are all over the place, but it appears that we have a great track. It looks like 50 miles both ways of i71 is good for the heaviest axis of snow. How much is the question. I'm still holding my breath on that last second west trend but model consensus on the track is good.

3 hours ago, dilly84 said:

I think it's time to revive this thread. Totals are all over the place, but it appears that we have a great track. It looks like 50 miles both ways of i71 is good for the heaviest axis of snow. How much is the question. I'm still holding my breath on that last second west trend but model consensus on the track is good.

18z NAM piles 19" on Dayton now LOL (outlier), it had half that on the 12z...

post-3410-0-58775200-1392580827_thumb.jpg  You guys remember that pic?  From Jan. '14 at Ash Cave during the Hocking Hills Annual Winter Hike. Each winter since as you all know has sucked.  We're going down again next weekend for our 29th year in a row, I think we'll finally see some ice and snow again this year!

https://www.hockinghills.com/winter_hike.html

3 minutes ago, vespasian70 said:

ILN saying 2"-3" is possible Monday along the I-70 corridor and not a peep about it from the OH crew! We must be spoiled after the 6" snowfall. lol

Ha!  We only got 3" Friday, but I think Hocking County got close to 6" where we are going this coming weekend for the annual winter hike at Old Man's Cave.  Should be a good snow pack this year ever though they're predicting a high near half a hundred on Sat!

10 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

Ha!  We only got 3" Friday, but I think Hocking County got close to 6" where we are going this coming weekend for the annual winter hike at Old Man's Cave.  Should be a good snow pack this year ever though they're predicting a high near half a hundred on Sat!

If the hike had been this weekend it would've been a perfect 'winter hike'!

33 minutes ago, buckeye said:

love snow on snow.   Very rare for us to get a nice snowfall followed by a nice refresher without losing any of the first snowfall.

1-3 looks like what all the models are agreeing on.  Cautious about buying into the high ratio thing.

Eh...the SREF Jacques are giving you a mean of 0.15" and at 15-to-1 would be 2 1/4". That's what I'd ride.

Archived