• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2019-2020 Winter Wonderland Discussion

JoMo

Very interested to see what happens with all of this. Being so far out, it's silly to focus on any one model, but there is definitely an overall consensus that the ingredients for a winter event are in place. I moved to Tulsa 2 years ago from Dallas, hoping that I would get more wintry precip...but so far the last 2 winters have been duds. Here's to hoping!

• Like 1

Definitely more interesting and fun to have something to watch.  I think we all can agree that an ice storm isn't what we want especially right at Christmas.  Hard to say this far out if the cold air is shallow and stalls out around the Ozark Mountains.  The GFS has hinted at that recently with the strong SER  We shall see   

And if I remember correctly, JoMo has stated previously that a -EPO is our most crucial teleconnection for wintry weather.  Even with a +NAO.  

34 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Definitely more interesting and fun to have something to watch.  I think we all can agree that an ice storm isn't what we want especially right at Christmas.  Hard to say this far out if the cold air is shallow and stalls out around the Ozark Mountains.  The GFS has hinted at that recently with the strong SER  We shall see   

And if I remember correctly, JoMo has stated previously that a -EPO is our most crucial teleconnection for wintry weather.  Even with a +NAO.  

We can get cold with -EPO or -AO. The last few winters have had a predominantly +AO which doesn't bode well for cold here. (I think 2012-2013 was last fullish -AO winter)  So the other way is the -EPO which delivers the cold air. I think a neutral PNA was best for wintry weather though.

Mike Morgan from KFOR already talking about the possibility of wintry precipitation on Christmas, 11 days away. Such a bad representative for mets everywhere, despite being in a state whose flagship university is known for meteorology. 

"LATEST LOOK at Christmas Day in OKC. This forecast is based on a LOT of different and constantly changing forecasts from about 150 computer models a DAY. General PATTERN of all of these COLDER with MOISTURE POSSIBLE. Still 12 days away but will track it."

https://twitter.com/MikeMorganKFOR/status/941163647463813120

21 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Mike Morgan from KFOR already talking about the possibility of wintry precipitation on Christmas, 11 days away. Such a bad representative for mets everywhere, despite being in a state whose flagship university is known for meteorology. 

"LATEST LOOK at Christmas Day in OKC. This forecast is based on a LOT of different and constantly changing forecasts from about 150 computer models a DAY. General PATTERN of all of these COLDER with MOISTURE POSSIBLE. Still 12 days away but will track it."

https://twitter.com/MikeMorganKFOR/status/941163647463813120

Love his EF+/- forecasts on severe days. Those are *super* helpful

While I think the chances of snow on or near Christmas are greater than average this year...to make an 11 day forecast with hourly timing is absolutely absurd and dishonest as to the current capabilities of the field of meteorology. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!! Long time...no chat! Of course like everyone, I'm getting excited about the "potential winter weather". We are due for snow in Tulsa and across Oklahoma...I still have bugs! Come on...kill these suckers!!!

My favorite Okie mets are Mike Collier KJRH Tulsa, Aaron Tuttle, Travis Meyer KOTV Tulsa, David Payne KWTV OKC. None of those guys go overboard, and are quick to caution what gets put out on social media.

2 hours ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Love his EF+/- forecasts on severe days. Those are *super* helpful

While I think the chances of snow on or near Christmas are greater than average this year...to make an 11 day forecast with hourly timing is absolutely absurd and dishonest as to the current capabilities of the field of meteorology. 

Pretty sure you summed up mike morgan as a whole right there. 

42 minutes ago, JoMo said:

No cutoff on the 00z GFS. Also more of a +PNA look towards the end of the run so trough is more east.

00Z GFS looks like an outlier run for how the trough develops (I.e., no cutoff). Not sure how to take it. Guess we'll see what the EC says later. 

I've been reading what Doug Heady and Gary Lezak have to say about the Christmas system, and they couldn't be more different. Doug has kept the same tone for about a week now, and Gary had flip flopped every model run. Gary went from a 10% chance of a while Christmas, to a 55% chance back to a 15% chance in 24 hours. They both use the recurring cycle, but it's pretty obvious that Gary is just following the models for this one, while it seems Doug actually has faith in the recurring pattern idea. 

8 minutes ago, MUWX said:

I've been reading what Doug Heady and Gary Lezak have to say about the Christmas system, and they couldn't be more different. Doug has kept the same tone for about a week now, and Gary had flip flopped every model run. Gary went from a 10% chance of a while Christmas, to a 55% chance back to a 15% chance in 24 hours. They both use the recurring cycle, but it's pretty obvious that Gary is just following the models for this one, while it seems Doug actually has faith in the recurring pattern idea. 

Lezak's pattern doesn't work in years like this one until it's already almost too late.