Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2019-2020 Winter Wonderland Discussion

JoMo

25 minutes ago, Chinook said:

The GFS is usually not this crazy about freezing rain accumulation, but the NWS doesn't appear to be overly concerned, with just a winter weather advisory. What's the deal?

vBSZhfg.png

All that is is modeled precip amounts from the moment the temp drops to 32 or below, with no consideration for rates (heavier rates tend to have more runoff) or whether temps are more like 31-32 or in the 20s.  They give an idea of where icing may occur but otherwise I would not take them literally.

It is a really, REALLY raw, cold day out there.  It is 22 F here and the wind just cuts right through you.  Nothing is falling from the sky yet, but it's close.  You can feel it. FYI, it sounds like sleet rather than freezing rain has been the predominant precipitation for everybody to our south and west.  I don't know if that will translate all the way here or toward Tulsa and beyond but I suspect it will.  

32 minutes ago, NJ_Ken said:

It is a really, REALLY raw, cold day out there.  It is 22 F here and the wind just cuts right through you.  Nothing is falling from the sky yet, but it's close.  You can feel it. FYI, it sounds like sleet rather than freezing rain has been the predominant precipitation for everybody to our south and west.  I don't know if that will translate all the way here or toward Tulsa and beyond but I suspect it will.  

I expect sleet to be the main ptype for most of central Oklahoma. Thickness values are lower today than they were yesterday when we saw a lot of sleet. Though the convective influence will be less today so that may offset a bit. Either way, based on current radar I doubt any areas in central Oklahoma will get more than 0.25” qpf. The heavy  precip sheild is mostly skirting through southern Oklahoma.

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

Been mostly sleet here in the south okc metro. Roads are completely covered white.

I can verify this.  I am on the south side at the moment running an errand.  100% sleet and coming down at a pretty good clip.  The ride home looks to be... umm... interesting.  I should be able to get a pretty good idea of how good or bad the roads are across the metro.  

1 hour ago, StormChazer said:

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southplains_loop.php

Honest question, should we be concerned here in Tulsa? That's a very large band of heavy precip headed our way and it's still 27 degrees here in Tulsa. Does the High res tend to overdo amounts?

It sure looks like that mass of heavy precipitation has it sights set on Tulsa.  If not Tulsa, somebody very close to Tulsa is going to get walloped.  This is definitely one of those times to pray for sleet rather than freezing rain.  

Not sure what will come of this later for here, I been watching radars today and noticed all that stuff you guys are getting over there in Oklahoma! Tulsa has not updated the forecast for here in a long time so maybe they are once again lost in the model shuffle who knows(says 40 percent chance of stuff, rain for tonight/today). High was expected to be 36 here today but been sitting at 31 all day now. We look to either just get missed once again lol tonight here or get in on the action also, time will tell...jeez I really am desperate for anything at this point lol.

Just got home driving from the far south side of OKC to the far north side of OKC, mostly on Lake Hefner Parkway.  All roads (including highways) had a solid coating of sleet.  Traffic was slow but moving.  Clearly, a lot of people started plotting their escape from work as soon as the precip kicked off so 3 pm seemed like the height of rush hour.  As I got close to home, it seemed like freezing rain was starting to mix back in.  If so... and if that continues... I would expect that roads will go from kind of crappy to absolutely horrendous in very short order.    

Advisory here til 6am, heres the kicker and weird thing yet again....This much moisture, watching the giant donut hole form over my immediate area and just north/south and east!!! This seems to be the case and what has been happening all winter with these storms and it really has me going bonkers trying to figure out what causes it to happen! Maybe it will fill in IDK lol

An extremely rare (and pretty amazing) weather phenomenon in okc tonight.  The cold north wind across Lakes Hefner and Overholser is creating a narrow streamer of lake effect snow south of each lake.  It's not Buffalo or anything but, as I understand, close to an inch of snow has accumulated in bands 1/4 mile wide and 8 to 10 miles long.  

• Like 3