Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2019-2020 Winter Wonderland Discussion

JoMo

34 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

The models were showing something last week for the 28th of this month werent they? Im not buying these long range things lol, nothing ever seems to happen anyway with the luck we all have! Still sitting at the measly half inch nonsense for the season. Waiting on a miracle now lol

I think the system that models were showing on the 28th are now showing for the 2nd. Timing differences. I don't know that but it seems possible 

• Thanks 1

Just looked at the GFS and Euro and it disgusts me! Once again...our best chance at a storm or any moisture is being pulled east and south. I thought there was supposed to be a pattern change??? If we get nothing for that February 1st storm...I'm genuinely worried that will be out last chance at winter. Terrible!

11 minutes ago, ouamber said:

Just looked at the GFS and Euro and it disgusts me! Once again...our best chance at a storm or any moisture is being pulled east and south. I thought there was supposed to be a pattern change??? If we get nothing for that February 1st storm...I'm genuinely worried that will be out last chance at winter. Terrible!

At this point, anything putting a dent in the drought is a win. This could be a bad one..

5 minutes ago, rolltide_130 said:

At this point, anything putting a dent in the drought is a win. This could be a bad one..

5 minutes ago, rolltide_130 said:

Yea Oklahoma and Texas is hurting! We need moisture of any kind! Where is this SER that is supposed to be in Ninas??

2 hours ago, bdgwx said:

It's still more than week out so a lot could change. But, the EPS and GEFS means for the QPF swaths are not encouraging for Oklahoma.

Until we get the mean trough axis over the Rockies and not over the Mississippi nothing will change. Northwest flow is DRY for the plains in almost any month, but especially in the winter. Until that changes expect no significant precipitation over the majority of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. People looking at specific model runs showing precip here and there are ignoring the overall pattern which indeed has not changed since the beginning of November. Which is why basically every storm shown 8+ days out has disappeared or shifted east or south as it gets closer in time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteoutWX said:

Until we get the mean trough axis over the Rockies and not over the Mississippi nothing will change. Northwest flow is DRY for the plains in almost any month, but especially in the winter. Until that changes expect no significant precipitation over the majority of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. People looking at specific model runs showing precip here and there are ignoring the overall pattern which indeed has not changed since the beginning of November. Which is why basically every storm shown 8+ days out has disappeared or shifted east or south as it gets closer in time.

Post of the month, thank you!

• Like 1

It is amazing how non-canonical this La Nina is to date. I know since the 23rd, the cold anomalies in the East have burned off more, I checked Philly, they're back to -1.5F for January, with some days coming near 60F by the end of the month. I'm down to +2.5F or so for January, as the nights have been pretty cold with less than 0.1" of precipitation September 30th.

My winter outlook is doing pretty well for Western precip, I had the Northern Rockies slightly wet and a small area of wetness near Vegas/Los Angeles, which may verify, they're average so far from the one big storm earlier in January. Had the Midwest wet...yet to verify. Everyone else dry. Had the East +0 to +2F for winter against 1951-2010, which doesn't look terrible given the current thaw, I think Philly is -1.4F winter to date against 1981-2010, assuming its closer to -1F or less against 1951-2010. I threw 1932-33 in on the chance Agung erupted as a VEI 5, since 1932-33 was a volcanic winter, but it made my outlook for the West 2-3F too cold everywhere.

Texas, Arkansas and Maine the only places nationally that are cold AND wetter than normal to date. Dakotas and Northern California were the winners last year. 

6PX4pic.png

Aue2hit.png

On 1/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, WhiteoutWX said:

EURO trends would definitely bear this out with the Feb 1 storm. 

54 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Yes, just like WhiteoutWx said above,  the same thing has happened all winter.   These patterns are repeating,  and horrible for this region.   Maybe next yr. 

This winter really hasn't been that bad in south west Missouri.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MoWeatherguy said:

Yes, just like WhiteoutWx said above,  the same thing has happened all winter.   These patterns are repeating,  and horrible for this region.   Maybe next yr. 

Jeez pathetic, how many years now have we been saying this? lol....My hopes are gone for this winter idk, yea I know feb. and march can bring stuff but I just dont see it happening unless this pattern can change. These storms are just cutting too far south or north this season again, and is why my homestate of south jersey has had a decent winter yet again for what the 3rd or 4th season in a row!

When these storms cut far south, they break off then ride up the coast to dump on the east coast it seems forming noreasters....its classic and seems to always hold true ever since I was a youngin for them there. Yea they have had some warm spells too this season but nothing like this place has been lol. Hell I remember eh maybe 3 weeks ago or whatever it was my dad was showing me pics of the bays completely frozen!! Yea its cold when salt water freezes lol, saw the rivers(brackish water) freeze sometimes when I was young but never the back bay areas that feed off the ocean freezing that bad!!! If I can find those pics again on facebook I will snag a few and post them here, it was cool looking!

And just like that the GFS and Canadian go playing with my heart. GFS shows Northeast OK getting a couple inches on Sunday, Candian on Monday. Wonder how the Euro will feel about it. Won't surprise me if the Euro stands its ground like it has with this upcoming system(and been right about so far), and then the other come in line with in the next couple days.

That being said, for a system 6-7 days out, I'm surprised to see the two move back into a wetter solution for OK, that hasn't been the pattern this winter. It's just 1 run though. I'm curious what the Euro will say, and then see if there's consistency. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

And just like that the GFS and Canadian go playing with my heart. GFS shows Northeast OK getting a couple inches on Sunday, Candian on Monday. Wonder how the Euro will feel about it. Won't surprise me if the Euro stands its ground like it has with this upcoming system(and been right about so far), and then the other come in line with in the next couple days.

That being said, for a system 6-7 days out, I'm surprised to see the two move back into a wetter solution for OK, that hasn't been the pattern this winter. It's just 1 run though. I'm curious what the Euro will say, and then see if there's consistency. 

I have zero confidence that any of these storms coming from the NW actually materialize.  We've seen quite a few of these 5-7 days out and then they vanish.  

Surely we hit one at some point, right? 

• Like 1

Wowzers. Not sure i'm really on board the hype train but 00Z GFS went all in on a big-league snow storm for NE KS/ N MO (including the entire KC metro) for Monday night/Tuesday. Widespread double digit totals. Pretty impressive run, to say the least. But if I have learned anything over the past few years, it is to take more of a tempered approach when it comes to model-output for snow... FWIW, 00z GEM also agrees on a decent snow event for generally the same area, but to a much lesser extent than the GFS. Probably worth noting as well that most of the 00z GEFS members disagreed with OP run on the idea of any kind of major event.