Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2017 OBS

Avdave

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Lookout said:

34.8 for a low today..Nothing shocking for this time of year but it seems crazy to me since it feels like august was just a week or two ago thanks to that never ending heat.

37 here - expecting a possible freeze just prior to Halloween? (widespread freeze for NE GA, Upstate, Piedmont?)

4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Currently 62 in NY City and 38 in Atlanta. That's what you call a east/west cold front. In NC the cold front has passed Greensboro and should be near Burlington slowly heading towards RDU. 

If those clouds in Atlanta don't clear they have a shot at their coldest ever October high temp.  As far as I can see 41 is the record which occurred twice, most recently in 1993. 

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

If those clouds in Atlanta don't clear they have a shot at their coldest ever October high temp.  As far as I can see 41 is the record which occurred twice, most recently in 1993. 

Might have a chance. Low cloud deck stretches NW up through central Tenn. But It would probably be a record for day light hours only; whereas the temp was 42 at mid-night. But still very impressive for this time of year. 

9 minutes ago, EmersonGA said:

My observation is that it's freaking cold outside.  37 with the wind cranking so all we need is some flurries.  .84" from the storm yesterday and an October total of 4.64".

I wouldn't be surprised if you got some flurries. Your 850 temps are below freezing and near ground dew points are below freezing. As you said, just need some moisture.   

From the inauspicious moments in weather forecasting collection, or, how three big storms can wreck a forecast:

off15_prcp.gif.7dcc52b4b903344c859db3dbdc082df6.gif

Clipboard02.jpg.72bce410c8085f7a931b852e83b31587.jpg

~2.23" total at the Blacksburg airport here for this event, up to ~7.7" for the month. Wettest month since September 2015 when Blacksburg broke its all-time daily record.

The weather station on Mt. Mitchell is reporting 15.71" month to date, which is high, even for Mt. Mitchell.

Archived