Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of agonizing seeing the modeled storm track coming up.  This track in later November thru the winter is the thing snow weenies in Upstate NY daydream about.  Seems like Hudson Valley runners are more rare than Buffalo sports teams in the playoffs.  On the flip side, BUF snow weenies would be jumping over Niagara Falls reading this...

As the upper-level trough becomes negatively tilted with the rapidly
intensifying coastal low, this will reinforce the stalled surface
boundary near eastern Lake Ontario with increasing frontogensis. The
surface low will likely bottom out <980 mb while tracking from near
NYC up the Hudson Valley Sunday night. The combination of the
coupled jet aloft, strong frontogenesis with the stalled surface
front and deformation zone on the back side of the strong surface
low, not to mention the tropical moisture source, will place
locations from the Genesee Valley east perfectly under the threat
for very heavy synoptic rainfall. Model consensus has trended this
axis of heaviest precipitation slightly farther west than previous
runs. Expect locations from Rochester south to Wellsville and east
to the northern Finger lakes to be near the western edge of
significant precipitation of about 2-3+ inches. Meanwhile, the most
likely axis of heaviest precipitation is along the I-81 corridor
from Syracuse to Watertown where 4+ inches of storm total rainfall
is possible. Meanwhile this will largely be a non-event for far
western NY (Buffalo/Niagara Falls/Dunkirk), where very little
rainfall is expected Sunday night, and storm total amounts may be
hard pressed to hit 1/2".

What an exciting few days ahead and as many have mentioned we are missing out on some historic winter weather by just a few weeks/degrees.  Anyway, glad to see this thing going sub 980mb, I would love to see it trend a little further west to bring all of WNY into the game.  The trees are way behind schedule so I'm guessing we'll see some damage, but this area has been crushed by high wind events over the last year so things are fairly battle hardened.  

Buffaloweather - A prolonged period of good waterspout parameters also looks good from Mon-Wed.  Are you going to chase?   I'm going to keep an eye on lake Ontario and may shoot up there is things look good on radar.  Not a great fetch for me though.  Tim, you're in a nice spot for this one!

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

What an exciting few days ahead and as many have mentioned we are missing out on some historic winter weather by just a few weeks/degrees.  Anyway, glad to see this thing going sub 980mb, I would love to see it trend a little further west to bring all of WNY into the game.  The trees are way behind schedule so I'm guessing we'll see some damage, but this area has been crushed by high wind events over the last year so things are fairly battle hardened.  

Buffaloweather - A prolonged period of good waterspout parameters also looks good from Mon-Wed.  Are you going to chase?   I'm going to keep an eye on lake Ontario and may shoot up there is things look good on radar.  Not a great fetch for me though.  Tim, you're in a nice spot for this one!

I am off on Monday, I am definitely going out to chase if there is a good possibility of spouts. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Kind of agonizing seeing the modeled storm track coming up.  This track in later November thru the winter is the thing snow weenies in Upstate NY daydream about.  Seems like Hudson Valley runners are more rare than Buffalo sports teams in the playoffs.  On the flip side, BUF snow weenies would be jumping over Niagara Falls reading this...

As the upper-level trough becomes negatively tilted with the rapidly
intensifying coastal low, this will reinforce the stalled surface
boundary near eastern Lake Ontario with increasing frontogensis. The
surface low will likely bottom out <980 mb while tracking from near
NYC up the Hudson Valley Sunday night. The combination of the
coupled jet aloft, strong frontogenesis with the stalled surface
front and deformation zone on the back side of the strong surface
low, not to mention the tropical moisture source, will place
locations from the Genesee Valley east perfectly under the threat
for very heavy synoptic rainfall. Model consensus has trended this
axis of heaviest precipitation slightly farther west than previous
runs. Expect locations from Rochester south to Wellsville and east
to the northern Finger lakes to be near the western edge of
significant precipitation of about 2-3+ inches. Meanwhile, the most
likely axis of heaviest precipitation is along the I-81 corridor
from Syracuse to Watertown where 4+ inches of storm total rainfall
is possible. Meanwhile this will largely be a non-event for far
western NY (Buffalo/Niagara Falls/Dunkirk), where very little
rainfall is expected Sunday night, and storm total amounts may be
hard pressed to hit 1/2".

We had something similar happen last year. 

Lake Effect Summary - November 19-21, 2016 - Storm Total Snow Map

2 hours ago, tim123 said:

965 mb over Watertown tomorrow am. Monroe and Wayne county lake shore goin to take a big hit I think

I'm with you, seems like a very significant storm yet I'm not hearing much about it (From my friends and family at least).  I'm getting some barometers set up, might be some of the lowest pressure I've recorded in some time.  I would think that Lake Ontario should be under storm warnings.  

31 minutes ago, vortmax said:

NWS just upped HWW to 65MPH gusts along the Monroe/Wayne/Cayuga/Oswego shores. Even though we are 'wind hardened', anyone think the wet ground will play a role?

Don't want to lose power again (after that severe storm line a couple weeks ago).

Trees my be wind hardened but ground is soaked. Me be more uproots

31 minutes ago, vortmax said:

NWS just upped HWW to 65MPH gusts along the Monroe/Wayne/Cayuga/Oswego shores. Even though we are 'wind hardened', anyone think the wet ground will play a role?

Don't want to lose power again (after that severe storm line a couple weeks ago).

I think the very saturated ground, leaf laden trees, different wind direction from previous events, and relatively long duration of high winds will all come into play to create some localized power outages.  

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think the very saturated ground, leaf laden trees, different wind direction from previous events, and relatively long duration of high winds will all come into play to create some localized power outages.  

Thinking we are going to see a lot of power outages...localized may end up being fairly widespread unfortunately, if the predicted wind speed and duration materializes... esp given the aggravating factors you noted.

i had 1.32" of rain as of noon today, not much since as I-81 corridor has been in between rain areas most of this afternoon.

50 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Thinking we are going to see a lot of power outages...localized may end up being fairly widespread unfortunately

All summer long, end even into fall, houses around me were still having their roofs replaced and repaired from the storm in March. It would be terrible if we see anymore shingles going airborne.  If there was a silver lining from that storm, it took down most old, weak, and aging trees already. The wind direction will be a little different though.

Archived