Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

In latest ENSO discussion it looks like once again a Weak La Nina is forecast. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

If we can establish a -NAO , that’s when we can have our coldest temperatures statistically. Weak La Niña and - NAO have produced our coldest of outbreaks. On the the flip side if we can’t establish a -NAO and keep a + NAO things may look pretty toasty, not as bad as super El Niño a few years ago  but weak Niña’s and + NAO are not a good combo...

3 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

If we can establish a -NAO , that’s when we can have our coldest temperatures statistically. Weak La Niña and - NAO have produced our coldest of outbreaks. On the the flip side if we can’t establish a -NAO and keep a + NAO things may look pretty toasty, not as bad as super El Niño a few years ago  but weak Niña’s and + NAO are not a good combo...

Yeah, it was looking more like a Moderate La Nina, but the last few weeks have brought it up to a weak one which is good for us. I will be keeping an eye on the Alaskan death vortex in November though. If that gets going again, we are looking at another ratter winter. 

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Lost power for a good 8-10 hours yesterday afternoon/evening, I think top gust at the airport was 66 mph.. Frost advisory up for tomorrow night with temps hovering around freezing, flakes shouldn’t be to far behind..:D

Only list power here for 45 minutes. Think the gust were between 50-55mph here. Couple small branches down around, nothing too serious from what I can see.

Looking ahead hoping that after this weekend we start to cool down for a while, at least down to average which at this point would feel pretty chilly when we're spending weekends at 75-80. Anyone want to guess when KBUF, KROC, KSYR, KALB, KBGM will see their first flakes?

Ill say

KBUF:10/26

KROC:10/26

KSYR:10/26

KBGM:10/27

KALB: 11/03

It seems like temperatures are dropping off a lot faster than expected tonight. My weather station is reading 35, and that is ~15 feet off the ground.

I noticed kbuf is predicting some light showers forming off the lake later tonight, any chance some of those fall as flakes tonight, given it's already approaching freezing across the area? Or is the lake just too warm?

7 hours ago, southbuffalowx said:

It seems like temperatures are dropping off a lot faster than expected tonight. My weather station is reading 35, and that is ~15 feet off the ground.

I noticed kbuf is predicting some light showers forming off the lake later tonight, any chance some of those fall as flakes tonight, given it's already approaching freezing across the area? Or is the lake just too warm?

33 here with a pretty heavy frost.

Obviously it’s the GFS at long range but each run keeps lessening any cold shot more and more, and each run is looking like whatever “cold” shot we get is going to be very transient with a huge warm up at the end of the run with 850mb temps of +15c to start November and looking like ridging setting up in the East and troughiness setting up in the West again.... If we make into November with these big warm ups and that stupid one eyed pig over AK you can expect things to not change much for the winter. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It was the best severe weather year in my life I think. 

Wow, really?  That squall line this past Sunday was one of the more exciting things to happen all "summer" in regards to Severe Weather in ROC.  Seemed average or below average at best.  Even nasty looking lines and cells never seemed to amount to much.  We just get shadowed so hard on the West Side or Rochester. 

Really hoping this winter isnt a dud.  Last winter started strong and ended decent with that one major dump, but January and February were a complete loss.  For any average person, this is an amazing and safe place to live.  For a weather enthusiast it's been pretty damn tame.  Thank god we got that amazing wind event and storm in March otherwise the whole year has been dull aside from endless rain.  

Edit - I remember the tornado outbreak now, but it had no impact on KROC.  That was pretty damn intense.

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Wow, really?  That squall line this past Sunday was one of the more exciting things to happen all "summer" in regards to Severe Weather in ROC.  Seemed average or below average at best.  Even nasty looking lines and cells never seemed to amount to much.  We just get shadowed so hard on the West Side or Rochester. 

Really hoping this winter isnt a dud.  Last winter started strong and ended decent with that one major dump, but January and February were a complete loss.  For any average person, this is an amazing and safe place to live.  For a weather enthusiast it's been pretty damn tame.  Thank god we got that amazing wind event and storm in March otherwise the whole year has been dull aside from endless rain.  

Edit - I remember the tornado outbreak now, but it had no impact on KROC.  That was pretty damn intense.

WNY had like 10 tornadoes this summer and at least 5 severe thunderstorm warnings. That’s unheard of around here when Lake Erie usually kills all convection. 

Archived