Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter String

George BM

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Didn't feel it, but I missed all the 2011 aftershocks so I don't trust my senses.

I'm really interested to see if something shows up on the earthquake monitors. I felt my chair shake a bit, so I looked at my computer monitor, which was definitely moving. Then it stopped, and a few seconds later the monitor started shaking again. Nothing major, but definitely enough that I noticed it.

I'm on the 7th Floor of a building at Gallery Place, so it would be odd if the Metro was responsible for the rumbling, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. What I do know for certain is that something made this floor move a bit!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I'm really interested to see if something shows up on the earthquake monitors. I felt my chair shake a bit, so I looked at my computer monitor, which was definitely moving. Then it stopped, and a few seconds later the monitor started shaking again. Nothing major, but definitely enough that I noticed it.

I'm on the 7th Floor of a building at Gallery Place, so it would be odd if the Metro was responsible for the rumbling, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. What I do know for certain is that something made this floor move a bit!

USGS isn't showing anything on their site as of yet. 

Resonance? My classroom regularly shakes. 

Haven't you heard? Elon Musk is digging tunnels under 295 in Maryland. :D

20 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Thanks to everyone for indulging in my earthquake claims. 

Must have just been something going on in the building, but it was a strangely powerful shaking and came in waves, which led to my thinking that it could have been an earthquake. Obviously not. :lol:

Maybe you need to up the dosage on your meds? :D

Weekend event should just be a few light showers across the region. Friday/Saturday should be excellent beer/barbeque days, in keeping with the warmer than normal/much drier than normal La Nina Narrative for Washington well into 2018.

We'll be enjoying many beer/barbeque days this winter, and Mappy will be very happy, lol.

10 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Tonight's burning questions for the wretched Ravens-

Will Flacco manage to throw a TD pass when the game is actually competitive?

Will the feeble Dean Pees' historic D manage to give up less than 150 yds on the ground, while facing yet another backup QB?

Well, that went a completely different way than I thought. I'll take it, but good lord, Dolphins are a dirty squad. Flacco might still be wondering who is after that bs hit. The one biggest take away for me was the defensive front 7 looked pretty solid tonight after getting buried the last several games. Offensive line had some good run blocks today, but pass protection still a problem. It's so disheartening to know what this team could look like with adequate blocking and it will probably never come. Stanley is fine and we really miss Yanda, but everyone else needs to keep upping their game, or else we're in for a world of hurt come later this month and early December when our schedule gets more interesting. At least we don't have to face Rodgers in GB, but Mariota and the Titans will not be a slouch next game. Bye week will hopefully help us heal our many wounds.  

Edit: Oh I will add that I can't stand Pees running the defense still. I don't care how good our team looks at times and what we did last night, this squad would be insanely better if he called well designed/disguised blitzes and actually had a killer instinct in close games late. 

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well, that went a completely different way than I thought. I'll take it, but good lord, Dolphins are a dirty squad. Flacco might still be wondering who is after that bs hit. The one biggest take away for me was the defensive front 7 looked pretty solid tonight after getting buried the last several games. Offensive line had some good run blocks today, but pass protection still a problem. It's so disheartening to know what this team could look like with adequate blocking and it will probably never come. Stanley is fine and we really miss Yanda, but everyone else needs to keep upping their game, or else we're in for a world of hurt come later this month and early December when our schedule gets more interesting. At least we don't have to face Rodgers in GB, but Mariota and the Titans will not be a slouch next game. Bye week will hopefully help us heal our many wounds.  

Edit: Oh I will add that I can't stand Pees running the defense still. I don't care how good our team looks at times and what we did last night, this squad would be insanely better if he called well designed/disguised blitzes and actually had a killer instinct in close games late. 

Completely agree. Lets hope Flacco is ok- that was a vicious looking hit.

The D will never realize its potential as long as Pees is here. It is frustrating to see what they are capable of "at times", but just as often there are the flat clunker performances like the last couple where they get mauled on the ground. A Pees defense always features missed assignments and softness, especially late in games. Maybe this will be the start of more consistent play, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Vicious hit on Flaco but slide earlier fool. 

Just watched the video, and I agree. He slid late, and the defender was already going in for the legal hit with his shoulder. No real blame, in my opinion - just unlucky timing.

Football is going to go the way of the dodo in the next 20 years with all of the concern over brain damage. You can keep adding all the pads you want and come up with space-age helmets, but when you have massive men smashing into other massive men, bad things are going to happen to the body.

Maybe football will become the first sport in which the players all have to wear full exoskeletons. That could be the solution.

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The hit was bad enough but then he raised a finger like he was signalling, "Check, please." 

Ugh.

I'm not sure he knew what he was doing. I thought maybe he was wagging a finger at the other player at first. 

46 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm not sure he knew what he was doing. I thought maybe he was wagging a finger at the other player at first. 

I think you're right when you say he wasn't sure what he was doing. I had a pretty hard bike crash in late June that split my helmet and concussed me pretty good. I remember getting up and kicking at my gear to get it off the road so I wouldn't get run over, but it's a weird adrenaline fog that you're in when you're trying to do something and yet, you know that you're not able to do it.

By the way, in case you ask, blurry vision for a week or so and a sore chest for a couple of months, but all healed up now. I never was quite right in the head so it's all good.

7 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

How cool would it be a 12" snowstorm in October. We have like a 1% chance, but it's there :)

It would be great and all, but let's wait until December/January where most snow wouldn't melt the day after, or at least it wouldn't be a bunch of slush

Edit: Oh, you mean in the mountains. In that case, bring it on! 

50 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Area just south of Winchester with 1.9" of precip in 6 hours, 850s at 0, temps ~39. Could be a nail biter out there for some interesting stuff.

I was going to say, not a peep about the euro?!

Got to admit that the front to the west appears to be setting up with a lot of rain --- BUT I always go with persistence. There is no point in having hope. Abandon all hope, all ye who reside in the Mid Atlantic.

Persistence this autumn has been a strong drying trend, and I still expect that I will be trying to measure the nanotechnic amounts of light rain that I MIGHT get by late Sunday with my scanning electron microscope.

Persistence never fails.

When heavy rain is forecast, we FAIL like a Boss, every time. This will be NO different. I also expect mostly cloudy conditions on Sunday.

I will NOT get my battleship gray skies filled with life giving rain.

This is a La Nina, not an El Nino.

New England will succeed where we fail, getting annihilated with yet another 10-16 inches of rain from this storm as it undergoes explosive deepening at the Benchmark. They will also enjoy very high winds, with attendant damage.

Radar is on track.

If you look to the south, the part of the rain element that will eventually hit us late morning Sunday - we are right on track for a light rain event, Should total out at a quarter inch. Winds however are on track to max out at 42 to 45 knot gusts. Goodbye to the fall colors.

HUGE story with this is going to be winds, not rain, rainfall will be minimal, like the last system. It was also be very progressive, which will drastically slash rain totals for us. Also, rain will start drastically later for us, probably about 11am on Sunday. Delayed means MUCH LESS precip. Think PERSISTENCE so far this fall - DRIER SOLUTIONS for the Mid Atlantic east of the mountains. Remember only 18 hours ago when we were progged to get rain Saturday night, Sunday and Sunday night. Slash that by 66 percent and there you have it - probably a noon start to some showers Sunday, ending by 6pm as cold dry air pours in cutting off the moisture.

New England will cash out on torrential rain and high winds with some associated damage. They are rehearsing for winter, when they will see horrific winds plus extremely heavy snows up there. They will have lots and lots and lots of cashing out to do this low sun season. They are going to cash out so much that they will need an entire team of accountants to keep up with it --- and the National Guard to dig them out, lol. For them it will be explosively deepening Benchmark Low after explosively deepening Benchmark Low after explosively deepening Benchmark Low after explosively deepening Benchmark Low after explosively deepening Benchmark Low. This winter in Boston will ECLIPSE their memorable 2014-2015 winter that shut them down and had huge slabs of ICE plummeting from skyscrapers downtown there. Weenies wont just be flying in New England - they will be in outright perpetual ORBIT, they will be on a HIGH HIGH right into JULY 2018. They will be awake for days and days and days and days tracking behemoth blizzards. Some of them will be awake for WEEKS from tracking ridiculously powerful winter storms packing frightful winds and chest deep snows that pile up and up and up from blizzard after blizzard after blizzard. The storms will absolutely feast on that gradient between bitter Siberian air over New England and the incredible heat ridge to the south of the Mid Atlantic that will be torching us all winter on into Spring, and a hellish Spring at that. It will get outright DESPERATE in New England from all the snowpack by late January 2018.

For the Mid Atlantic - it will be the endless beer and barbeque "winter" - and the Panic Room will be doing unprecedentedly booming business.

38 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I think someone should start a new thread for the weekend. Most of us are off work and will have lots of time to fill the thread with meaningless drivel. But it looks like the most active weather weekend in awhile.

Go for it bmore!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived