Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter String

George BM

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

No, it's not.  Not in October.  Kiss of death for winter if it happens.

This is way off the deep end, but the one ideal parabolic nina winter for seasonal snowfall from Oct to March April was 1917-1918 (36" dca)

eta: March was a dud

Oct Nov Dec winter good snow 1917 to 1918.png

1 hour ago, BTRWx said:

Also, here's a fascinating read about that year! http://www.jstor.org/stable/207470

Indeed - fascinating reading.  Can you imagine the calamity something like that would cause today?  Back then in a predominately rural society, people were far more self sufficient and able to cope with adversity.  In today's far more urban setting, the dependencies focused on the supply chain of goods to sustain health and well-being is such that most larger urban cities only have sufficient food and goods to sustain its population for a few days.  Something as outlined in that article would bring transportation to a grinding halt (no diesel) and resemble Katrina and NO on a grand scale, especially in the larger cities.  When people get hungry, things get out of hand real quick.

Growing up in Ohio during the blizzard of 78, there were references made to the winter of 17/18.  The 78 event really challenged society across a broad area.  The impact on schools, commerce, supply chain, and even the rural farms was immense - the national guard dropped feed with helicopter because farmers could not get out to take care of livestock other than those with draft horses and sleds (very few).  Dairy was hit very hard.  Roads in our area North of Dayton were closed for well over a week until the large snow blowers deployed from Dayton Airport and Wright Patterson AFB.  It was really something to see their handiwork.  It was not only the snow, and deep drifts, but the prolonged cold.  Never got above freezing for over a month afterwards.  Our village of 5500 survived, but it was slim pickings on the shelves of the one grocery in town.

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Indeed - fascinating reading.  Can you imagine the calamity something like that would cause today?  Back then in a predominately rural society, people were far more self sufficient and able to cope with adversity.  In today's far more urban setting, the dependencies focused on the supply chain of goods to sustain health and well-being is such that most larger urban cities only have sufficient food and goods to sustain its population for a few days.  Something as outlined in that article would bring transportation to a grinding halt (no diesel) and resemble Katrina and NO on a grand scale, especially in the larger cities.  When people get hungry, things get out of hand real quick.

Growing up in Ohio during the blizzard of 78, there were references made to the winter of 17/18.  The 78 event really challenged society across a broad area.  The impact on schools, commerce, supply chain, and even the rural farms was immense - the national guard dropped feed with helicopter because farmers could not get out to take care of livestock other than those with draft horses and sleds (very few).  Dairy was hit very hard.  Roads in our area North of Dayton were closed for well over a week until the large snow blowers deployed from Dayton Airport and Wright Patterson AFB.  It was really something to see their handiwork.  It was not only the snow, and deep drifts, but the prolonged cold.  Never got above freezing for over a month afterwards.  Our village of 5500 survived, but it was slim pickings on the shelves of the one grocery in town.

Your response is inspirational.  Me not understanding self-sufficiency well enough has been challenging even after my many years as a Boy Scout.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The only time in my life I was concerned it might be too much snow

Does that concept of "too much snow" really exist?  Not sure I dare fathom the thought or my Kubota may never start again.   But in all seriousness, you're right. A little more and we would have had some serious roof failures.  The ice damming issues were bad enough in our region, especially on flatter pitched roofs.  All the more testimony why to use the rubber membrane the first 4 feet or so of a roof from the gutter up (depending on the roof's pitch).  But...  in a selfish way, I hope we're able to push the limits of structural building codes again. 

8 hours ago, RDM said:

Does that concept of "too much snow" really exist? 

In Canada it does.  Shocking!!!!!  :D  Of course, this is due to it happening for months and months and months.

Around April it gets really annoying (just give us spring, for heaven's sake!).  But where I grew up the cement-style of snow doesn't exist.  It is more along the lines of the fluffy stuff.  Still, you do get the :angry: faces in March and April.  And May.

(For the record, due to my life in Canada the only month I've never seen snowfall is July.  And I lived on the prairies.)

9 hours ago, RDM said:

Does that concept of "too much snow" really exist?  Not sure I dare fathom the thought or my Kubota may never start again.   But in all seriousness, you're right. A little more and we would have had some serious roof failures.  The ice damming issues were bad enough in our region, especially on flatter pitched roofs.  All the more testimony why to use the rubber membrane the first 4 feet or so of a roof from the gutter up (depending on the roof's pitch).  But...  in a selfish way, I hope we're able to push the limits of structural building codes again. 

I guess I should have clarified, too much snow "at one time" due to roof concerns.   Now, enough snow to have full snowcover for months at a time, I'll take that.

I am gonna chase Lake Effect this year.  Late November early December.  First big blow... hopefully warm surface temps on erie.. I will drive uber while I am up there too.. I heard you can make a killing in surge pricing during major snow events. 

24 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I am gonna chase Lake Effect this year.  Late November early December.  First big blow... hopefully warm surface temps on erie.. I will drive uber while I am up there too.. I heard you can make a killing in surge pricing during major snow events. 

I am hoping to see LE snows in late December when I am up visiting my grandmother in Amherst, NY (right near Buffalo).  Unfortunately, she misses alot of the LE snows because they are usually to her south

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I've been several times. Been up to Northeast Ohio, Erie, and extreme southwest NY. It was well worth it every time. I experienced my first t+L snow event on Erie.... twice. One day I'm going go to  the "Tugs". A place called Redfield ,NY probably . The Tug Hill plateau puts a new meaning to the word crushed.:snowing:

Oh my.. Redfield averages 163 inches a year... 

http://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/new_york/redfield

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived