Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Eps mean lp made another shift west and stronger . Looking at individual members one could argue this has potential to come further west ..lol. ok Euro held serve ...it's in its deadly zone ..I'm close to all in. What a classic wraparound crushing comma head portrayed on the Euro:D

If this was winter @psuhoffman would approve

Shame this is coming a few weeks too soon. We did get snow in late October before but it takes perfect setup. Unfortunately it doesn't make me feel any better long term since the year I got a perfect nor'easter in October with 8" of snow lead to one of the worst winters ever after. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Shame this is coming a few weeks too soon. We did get snow in late October before but it takes perfect setup. Unfortunately it doesn't make me feel any better long term since the year I got a perfect nor'easter in October with 8" of snow lead to one of the worst winters ever after. 

History says that October snow is not a good omen for the coming winter.  

33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just don't buy that. I think it's more a byproduct of Oct snow being really rare and bad snow years being pretty common. Statistics and stuff. 

I was in Lancaster, PA during the Oct 2011 event.  Joe Calhoun from WGAL had a segment about October snow and it's impact on Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Baltimore winters.  The research had a limited data set (N <12) but it showed that if more than 1" was recorded at any of the three aforementioned locations, then the seasonal snowfall was less than 75% of climo and there were no double digit events at any of the locations.  Again, not a huge data set to pull from but it wasn't encouraging.  With BWI not faring well, I'd imagine that IAD and DCA being further south and lower in elevation would fare worse unless there's a rogue southern slider.

38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just don't buy that. I think it's more a byproduct of Oct snow being really rare and bad snow years being pretty common. Statistics and stuff. 

I think your right and that's a big part of it. But I do think there are two legit reasons there might be a slight bias towards a worse winter pattern when we get very early snow. One being that patterns are unlikely to lock in for that long. If we are having a cold wintery pattern in late October and early November it's likely it will shift by the heart of winter. To get a great winter our best chance is to time things up between xmas and mid February. Of course some years are so perfect timing won't matter. But the rest we need lucky timing if pattern shifts. The other reason could be that as seasons change the same set of conditions that could cause an early season cold snap might not have the same desired effect later. I think your reason of just bad luck and odds is most of it. Enough that I'm not rooting against snow in October. But I could see how snow this early could slightly reduce the odds of getting a good pattern later. 

12 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I was in Lancaster, PA during the Oct 2011 event.  Joe Calhoun from WGAL had a segment about October snow and it's impact on Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Baltimore winters.  The research had a limited data set (N <12) but it showed that if more than 1" was recorded at any of the three aforementioned locations, then the seasonal snowfall was less than 75% of climo and there were no double digit events at any of the locations.  Again, not a huge data set to pull from but it wasn't encouraging.  With BWI not faring well, I'd imagine that IAD and DCA being further south and lower in elevation would fare worse unless there's a rogue southern slider.

There could be something to it. I'm just guessing based on stats. If you go back 21 years @ DCA, 15 of the winters were sub climo. So close to a 75% chance we don't hit climo in any season. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Bob, at least at BWI, there haven't been any winters that a decent October pattern that yielded a measurable snow event resulted in a great winter. 79/80 was borderline, and DCA & IAD had AN snows, but BWI was only 75% of normal. Although the years with measurable snowfall at BWI are few, none of them in my lifetime amounted to a decent winter. So count me as one of those old wives on this issue.

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

The reverse would then have to be true.  There should be an example of an October snow followed by an above avg snowfall season.  Lower odds, but not zero.

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The reverse would then have to be true.  There should be an example of an October snow followed by an above avg snowfall season.  Lower odds, but not zero.

If you include traces then there are a half dozen for DC. But they are from a long time ago...

1892-93 T  31"

1917-18 T  36.4"

1925-26 2.2"  17.4"

1940-41 1.5"  17.9"

1957-58  T  40.4"

1979-80  .3"  20.1"

GFS just made a significant jump towards the euro with the sun-mon deal compared to the past 3 runs. Consensus coming into view now. GFS for the first time gets us in on some comma head precip action too but overall the 95 corridor gets the dryslot shafting. lol

Similar wind setup overnight sunday as the euro but not as intense. That's what I'm most interested in honestly. HWW and trees down...EJ style...wooo

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you include traces then there are a half dozen for DC. But they are from a long time ago...

1892-93 T  31"

1917-18 T  36.4"

1925-26 2.2"  17.4"

1940-41 1.5"  17.9"

1957-58  T  40.4"

1979-80  .3"  20.1"

What counts as a trace?  Snow in the air, or must it accumulate?

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS just made a significant jump towards the euro with the sun-mon deal compared to the past 3 runs. Consensus coming into view now. GFS for the first time gets us in on some comma head precip action too but overall the 95 corridor gets the dryslot shafting. lol

Similar wind setup overnight sunday as the euro but not as intense. That's what I'm most interested in honestly. HWW and trees down...EJ style...wooo

I bet we won't get a HWW :(

CMC has a pretty nasty comma head that tags us pretty good. Right now the GFS is the weakest of all ops and its 12z run was a noticeable jump towards what the Euro/Ukie/CMC have. If the euro holds again we're getting pretty locked in now. This is a very interesting storm from a dynamics/synoptic standpoint. It should "feel" like a legit storm and not just a rain event. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived