SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro had 925s over 60mph in the region between 7-10pm Sunday. We'll see how it looks in a couple hours when 12z comes out. I don't think the strong southerly winds in front of the storm will mix well but this is a pretty ripe setup on the backside of the low. It's not like 40mph wind gusts are uncommon or mind blowing in the fall or anything but with the trees still mostly leafed out it will be at least entertaining if nothing else. 

cc2FAk5.jpg

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea..I bookmarked it a while back but haven't checked it out too much yet ...thanks though.

Like any of the model sites, once you get use to how the parameters work, it gets simple to use. They all seem to have their own way of doing things, which makes it a little cumbersome at first. I like that you can zoom into any county. That's the best resolution I've seen anywhere.

24 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

18z gfs is progressive and boring around these parts.  Pretty big shift...storm is a late bloomer.  Bias or on to something?

GFS has generally been more progressive/late developing than most other guidance. 18z even more so. I think all the models are showing their typical bias for this event. Will be interesting to see how it actually evolves.

I agree about the setup...if the Euro would have bumped east, even just a hair at 12z I would be more inclined to think the gfs is probably on to something...You are right though!  Some of those eps ind members are intense.  A lot of coastal huggers in there...

18z gefs pretty much agree with the op.  Surprise surprise...

Was out all afternoon and just took a look at the euro. Could be overdoing intensity and might trim back as we move forward but man, what an intense storm for Oct. I can't remember the last time there was a non-tropical sub 980 low hitting the coast like that. As @losetoa6 said multiple times, the h5 setup has been ripe for a strong synoptic event but the 12z euro run is damn impressive. 

Not sure what to think about the 18z gfs being much less organized. I suppose the 12z euro is probably the max solution but we're talking day 3-4 so the lead isn't that long. Probably safe to assume that verification will be somewhere between the two and hopefully much closer to the Euro. lol

35 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...Bob was talking during tropical about the gefs and how jumpy and how it would have a very narrow clustering at long leads which was bogus . It never used to be like that .

Yes, I do remember Bob bringing that up.  To be honest, I think this is the first time since tropical that Iv'e looked at something other than long lead h5 stuff on ens...maybe this occurs on the gefs every storm? I dont recall the gefs being like this last winter..going to be an annoying rollercoaster ride each storm this winter. lol 

15 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Don't have twitter...what's the big wigs saying 

CWG wants to call it a nor'easter, but some mets up north are saying no due to the south wind components. you know, just typical weather twitter back and forth. 

37 at home in Reisterstown, 33 in Laytonsville on the car thermometer driving in off Annapolis Rock Rd, 35 at Public Safety HQ in Gaithersburg with radiation fog off the lake.  Really amazing to see DCA and DMH (Baltimore Inner Harbor) at 46 degrees while everyone else flirts with freezing.  Heck FME (Ft. Mead) got down to 32!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived