• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discobs Thread

George BM

I've looked at literally thousands of model runs over the years. The 12z gfs had a 1048hp over AK @ d9. I thought it looked suspect but who really cares about hp over AK at 9 days leads. Amazingly, the euro has a 1052. lol. I think that's the highest pressure I've ever seen over NA in the fall. 2014 had some ridiculous HP's in western canada during Jan. Going off a foggy memory but I remember seeing a 1060? on a model run in 2014. 

ecmwf_mslpa_nhem_10.png

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I've looked at literally thousands of model runs over the years. The 12z gfs had a 1048hp over AK @ d9. I thought it looked suspect but who really cares about hp over AK at 9 days leads. Amazingly, the euro has a 1052. lol. I think that's the highest pressure I've ever seen over NA in the fall. 2014 had some ridiculous HP's in western canada during Jan. Going off a foggy memory but I remember seeing a 1060? on a model run in 2014. 

ecmwf_mslpa_nhem_10.png

I guess this counts.  It's interesting to see how localized the ridge is modeled to be situated surrounded by so many low height anomalies.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_10.png

I saw two super cells in the line of storms that crushed eastern NY and NE last night.  I saw them around 4:30 pm and checked the radar.  They were 30+ miles away and looked like they were much closer.  They were training up the coast of DE just off shore.  It was so cool to see as I have been watching the storm spotter videos on youtube and they were classic examples.  They were discrete and blew up even larger on the radar as they continued north over the ocean.  It was a WOW! for me.  

So it begins

Western Pendleton-
Including the city of Riverton
730 AM EDT Wed Oct 25 2017

.TODAY...Partly sunny this morning, then mostly cloudy with a
slight chance of rain showers this afternoon. Highs in the upper
40s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph this morning.
Chance of rain 20 percent.
.TONIGHT...Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain or snow showers.
Snow accumulation up to 1 inch possible. Lows in the lower 30s.
Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of
precipitation 50 percent.

Wind advisory late sunday into the overnight?  Pretty good setup to mix winds down. Especially across the northern tier/parrs area. We tend to do well in the fall with wind in setups like this. Decent upper level energy swinging through with a squeeze play going on behind deep lp to the NE and hp to the SW. 

gfs_mslp_uv850_neus_20.png

gfs_z500_vort_neus_20.png

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Wind advisory late sunday into the overnight?  Pretty good setup to mix winds down. Especially across the northern tier/parrs area. We tend to do well in the fall with wind in setups like this. Decent upper level energy swinging through with a squeeze play going on behind deep lp to the NE and hp to the SW. 

Forecast soundings for Sunday night here look well-mixed in the low levels, so strong winds coming down to the surface look like a legit threat.

Yep...Mid 60s overnight to low 40s by afternoon n/w will feel like fall and wind to boot. Crashing 850s on the west edge of the precip. Maybe some place like Catoctin or Winchester could eek a few flurries.

Subzero 850s & some precip for almost everyone on the subforum. Surface temps pretty meh though, probably 40 even out in Winchester.

3 hours ago, yoda said:

So it begins

Western Pendleton-
Including the city of Riverton
730 AM EDT Wed Oct 25 2017

.TODAY...Partly sunny this morning, then mostly cloudy with a
slight chance of rain showers this afternoon. Highs in the upper
40s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph this morning.
Chance of rain 20 percent.
.TONIGHT...Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain or snow showers.
Snow accumulation up to 1 inch possible. Lows in the lower 30s.
Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of
precipitation 50 percent.

Another interesting AFD to go along with it!

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking closer at the op Euro...it's even more exciting than I thought.  Central Md gets precip for 30+ hours amounting to 2.5-3.5"....decent wind gusts for 48 hours and crashing temps with possible flakes. Looking at latest gefs ..many members have lows in the 970s as it hits southern ne..heck of a storm up there if that verifies. Of course Euro will change in 5 hours ..lol. the trend cant be denied for a stronger low past 24 hours.

MN Transplant's map above shows 3.6-4 inches for Carroll.

And it did..no surprise .. Euro tends to get amp happy like the GGEM sometimes.  But it was fun disecting that 12z run while it lasted.I see the Ukmet picked up what the Euro was selling and is tighter to the coast then Gfs and Euro at 0z.

Yeah, now the GFS has the better odds at first flakes for you guys. Has some precip left while the 850s is gone.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

And it did..no surprise .. Euro tends to get amp happy like the GGEM sometimes.  But it was fun disecting that 12z run while it lasted.Euro still gets to a wicked low pressure over ne but that bend nw we saw to keep us in the fun is gone.I see the Ukmet picked up what the Euro was selling and is tighter to the coast then Gfs and Euro at 0z.

You have to admit, the DC split on the Euro is pretty funny.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017102600_120_518_220.thumb.png.479004b1584436ad863a8446e1aabb1e.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived