SnowHabit
October Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This weather is awesome.

Yea, I totally agree. I did fall weeding and cleanup yesterday and washed, polished, and sealed the paint on my wife's car today. Broke a little sweat but it was so damn nice out with low humidity and nice breeze that I didn't care. Shorts and flip flop weather is on the way out shortly. I'm glad I spent most of the last 2 days outside. Freekin perfect 10 kinda stuff. 

Marginal risk from SPC for overnight Monday.   Looks like a convective line will roll through in the middle of the night or very early morning.    There are some impressive winds above the surface, but as is common here with fall events, there may not be much if any instability to take advantage.     Still, there may be a little bit of sfc-based cape to work with, so the 5% area for now looks reasonable.    

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I totally agree. I did fall weeding and cleanup yesterday and washed, polished, and sealed the paint on my wife's car today. Broke a little sweat but it was so damn nice out with low humidity and nice breeze that I didn't care. Shorts and flip flop weather is on the way out shortly. I'm glad I spent most of the last 2 days outside. Freekin perfect 10 kinda stuff. 

I’m with you.  I love winter weather ... in winter.  I’m a Nov 20 to March 15 guy.  Outside of that I want sun and 75.

11 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I took the day off on Friday to get some stuff done...stuff which included brewing my first beer since March. It was so nice to get back in the saddle! I also busted out the lawnmower to give the lawn a trim and pick up leaves, trimmed up the garden for the last week or two of the season, and generally cleaned up outside. Also had a the neighborhood Halloween parade and party down by the pool. Older daughter loved it!

It was also nice to be able to open up the house while I made one of my bi-annual batches of chicken stock, along with a bunch of canned salsa. House gets steamy when we make any of these items, so opening up the house is a must!

Perfect weather to take advantage of the long weekend. Not sure how anyone can complain!

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was hoping for a bit more of a soaker with this event, but the recent mesoscale modeling is showing more of a diminished area of rain over the LWX area. 

I feel like we never maximize the wind potential from the SE ahead of a front, but that isn't grounded in anything fact-based.

I am expecting no more than a five hundred twelfth of an inch of rain. It just might be time for the nanoscope lab equipment again in order to measure these light rains.

----------------------------And the drier than normal, warmer then normal La Nina beat goes on...........

13 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was hoping for a bit more of a soaker with this event, but the recent mesoscale modeling is showing more of a diminished area of rain over the LWX area.

I feel like we never maximize the wind potential from the SE ahead of a front, but that isn't grounded in anything fact-based.

The problem with the rain potential is that it originally looked like we'd get some overrunning followed by a few hours in the frontal band, but it's turning out to be a quick hitter with a window of a few hours late at night.    I still think that a lot of people will see heavy rain; it will just be very fast-moving and subject to runoff.

You're correct that we rarely score on these fall high shear/low cape events, but the forecast soundings suggest that mixing some of those stronger wind speeds down the ground isn't a total pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

The problem with the rain potential is that it originally looked like we'd get some overrunning followed by a few hours in the frontal band, but it's turning out to be a quick hitter with a window of a few hours late at night.    I still think that a lot of people will see heavy rain; it will just be very fast-moving and subject to runoff.

You're correct that we rarely score on these fall high shear/low cape events, but the forecast soundings suggest that mixing some of those stronger wind speeds down the ground isn't a total pipe dream.

Agree.. seems to be a good amount of turning as well (see the curved hodographs) so I wouldn't be surprised to see a TW or two issued by LWX tonight

30 minutes ago, yoda said:

Agree.. seems to be a good amount of turning as well (see the curved hodographs) so I wouldn't be surprised to see a TW or two issued by LWX tonight

We'll see - but I'm not sure there will be enough surface based instability. But a few CYA tornado warnings could definitely be possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see an isolated spot ot two get severe level gusts - but most should be 50mph or below. 

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
759 PM EDT MON OCT 23 2017

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Highland County in western Virginia...
  Southwestern Pendleton County in eastern West Virginia...

* Until 845 PM EDT

* At 757 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located 10 miles northwest
  of Burnsville, or 11 miles south of Greenbank, moving northeast at
  50 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Monterey, Hightown, Clover Creek, Doe Hill, Bolar, Mill Gap, New
  Hampden, Harper, Palo Alto, Mustoe, Mcdowell, Blue Grass, Possum
  Trot, Vanderpool, Moyers, Sirons Mill and Sugar Grove.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived