Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
powderfreak

NNE Fall Thread

38 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

When the fire first started someone reported that they saw a fireball hit the mountain.  There has been lots of reporting on this.  Basically impossible scenario.  Concord Monitor did a whole story and said no meteorite.   I spent time researching the possibility myself.  Couldn't find anytime a meteorite started a forest fire.  Would have to have been a very big fireball.  No one but this one guy saw anything and no sonic boom etc. etc.   By the way a 1 pound meteorite can be worth up to a million dollars.  Go get em boys!

Interesting stuff, thanks for the reply.  Hopefully there is a soaking rain in the near future.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Interesting stuff, thanks for the reply.  Hopefully there is a soaking rain in the near future.

Next weeks system should put any hot spots out.  

I found the Concord Monitor story about the meteorite possibility.  Here it is...   http://www.concordmonitor.com/meteor-cause-fire-woodstock-nh-12912467

1 person likes this

Temps this time of the year can be crazy. Just got back from dinner in Hart's Location (notchland inn) in the middle of Crawford Notch. Car thermo showed low 50s through the notch, 52 at the Highland Center, which is about 200 ft higher than me, then a steady decline from there, down to 37 at my house. A 15 degree difference in just a few miles with pretty minimal elevation change

1 person likes this

We were 54 on top of the hill and it was 62 at 390 feet on the sounding, the Royal River Valley a couple hundred feet below the office was 39. Big inversion, but shallow. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

We were 54 on top of the hill and it was 62 at 390 feet on the sounding, the Royal River Valley a couple hundred feet below the office was 39. Big inversion, but shallow. 

When I lived in the back settlement in Ft. Kent, there were numerous mornings when our office next to the St. John would be 15F colder than home - 450' lower but only 2 miles distant.  If the cone burner at the cedar mill across in CA had a layer of smoke 100 yards or so above, I knew the inversion was working.

1 person likes this

Drove across NNE to Augusta to work the weekend at the Maine Snowmobile Show for the weeken.  Stick season for the most part but there were still pockets of good color here and there. 

Went for the last cruise to Wolfeboro today. Got off to walk around and enjoy the lobster roll season finale.  What an amazing summery day.

The islands on the lake are still 90% green in case anyone was wondering.

In sadder news, Pumpkin the 22 year old farm cat at Picnic Rock Farm is no longer with us.

Oh, just another late October night with the windows wide open...

Some good rain on the way?    Just looked at the Weatherbell accumulated rainfall over the next 10 days..

Euro  1-2" Region wide

GFS   3-4" for VT but 5-10" for much of NH and Maine  Jackpot is Northern Whites with 10-12"

GFS has a second wet system towards the end of the run.  Euro doesn't...