• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

Pretty intense snowfall now... nice to look at! I'm working on a dashboard for our website displaying the seasonal snowfall to date compared to last year. This is the graph (41" YTD - does not include today's snow). Very much in line with last year, although last year it was primarily upslope driven and therefore more evenly distributed. 

Snowfall.jpg

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took my first snowshoeing jaunt in my life today. Hiked around Echo Lake, up Bryce Path, and then to Cathedral Ledge. (This is all right outside North Conway, NH.) Very light snow was falling during the entire hike. Snow began to pick up around 2:00 here in town and it has been snowing steadily since. Somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 inches of new snow has fallen. I'm loving my stay in NH this week! And, I'm very envious of what you guys get to experience every winter.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Took my first snowshoeing jaunt in my life today. Hiked around Echo Lake, up Bryce Path, and then to Cathedral Ledge. (This is all right outside North Conway, NH.) Very light snow was falling during the entire hike. Snow began to pick up around 2:00 here in town and it has been snowing steadily since. Somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 inches of new snow has fallen. I'm loving my stay in NH this week! And, I'm very envious of what you guys get to experience every winter. emoji16.png

Welcome to the 'hood! :) Enjoy your week here

7 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Took my first snowshoeing jaunt in my life today. Hiked around Echo Lake, up Bryce Path, and then to Cathedral Ledge. (This is all right outside North Conway, NH.) Very light snow was falling during the entire hike. Snow began to pick up around 2:00 here in town and it has been snowing steadily since. Somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 inches of new snow has fallen. I'm loving my stay in NH this week! And, I'm very envious of what you guys get to experience every winter. emoji16.png

Oh,  I remember you posted awhile back about coming up here to celebrate your anniversary.  You were worried there might not be snow on the ground this week. Guess you don't have to worry about that.  Glad you got to snowshoe today.  Looks like a good week for winter activities, not too super cold and lots of snow showers and mood snow that should add several inches over the next few days.  Then a bigger storm at the end of the week that looks messy with the whole kitchen sink thrown in...

Have a great week in New Hampshire.  Glad I can call this state home!

26 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

2.2". As freak said in a few other spots,  just nice wintry appeal all day, nothing too crazy, but nice mood snow with some nice bursts from time to time.

19.4" in the past 7-8 days puts me above the normal DEC snowfall average for this area.

Nice, I’m assuming a little more higher up. I’ll be back up Thursday night. I like the area so much I would like to buy my own place one day. It’s totally doable for a weekend warrior coming from down south.

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nice, I’m assuming a little more higher up. I’ll be back up Thursday night. I like the area so much I would like to buy my own place one day. It’s totally doable for a weekend warrior coming from down south.

Don't think this was one of those huge discrepancy events, although they probably had more than 2.2" I would think.

Yea, proximity from the NYC/NJ area is a big factor I'm sure compared to NVT, NH, ME, etc.  Pretty easy drive really (once outside NYC metro which I would think could get iffy).

Plenty of housing inventory, most houses sell really slowly in Manchester and also the mountain towns. Definitely houses for evey budget too, 125k A frame Chalets/condos to 7-8 figure chateaus.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Don't think this was one of those huge discrepancy events, although they probably had more than 2.2" I would think.

Yea, proximity from the NYC/NJ area is a big factor I'm sure compared to NVT, NH, ME, etc.  Pretty easy drive really (once outside NYC metro which I would think could get iffy).

Plenty of housing inventory, most houses sell really slowly in Manchester and also the mountain towns. Definitely houses for evey budget too, 125k A frame Chalets/condos to 7-8 figure chateaus.

For me it would be one of the 60s ski houses that need a ton of work. That’s what my buddy’s have been renting for the past 4 seasons. Unfortuniltly the owners want way more then its worth. I’m very good with renovation so the worse shape the better.

Back on topic I agree about the elevation descprepency. I wouldn’t expect much more up high with this one. The big question is, is it even worth it to drive up this weekend with impending grinch storm

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Total here was around 3" after a little more last night.

At the ski area we had 3" at 1,500ft and 5" at 3,000ft.

I just checked my numbers, and after this latest system we’re at 22.2” of snow on the month at our site.  That’s just about on average for December snowfall through the first 2/3 of the month, so the mix of smaller and larger systems we’ve had is doing a decent job of keeping us on that average pace.  We’re well behind the pace set by Decembers like 2007 and 2008 however, which had roughly double that snowfall at this point in the month.  The last third of the month is the snowiest here, as I’m sure it is in many spots, but there certainly seems to be some potential for storms to keep the month on track for snowfall.

Leaving Waterbury this morning, I encountered the first non-snow precipitation I’ve seen in a while.  I was definitely surprising to encounter freezing rain, and it was heavy there for a bit, but the roads stayed OK.  It looks like this system will eventually have some potential for snow as it passes through:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1253 PM EST Tue Dec 19 2017

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

As of 1000 AM EST Tuesday...The modest cold front crosses from W to E late this evening, ushering in colder air and changing rain showers back to snow, which will become focused in the favorable upslope areas in northwest flow. Lows will be in the mid and upper 20s. Cold air advection will continue through the day Wednesday, so don`t expect much in the way of warming in spite of decreasing clouds in the afternoon.

32 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Finished with about 1 inch new snow in North Conway proper last evening. Been off and on drizzly so far today. Temp is above freezing for first time since we arrived on Saturday. Didn't stop the snowmobiling adventure out of Bartlett this morning. Loving it! emoji300.png

Glad you're having fun! It's a whole different world from North Carolina!

It's 330pm and made it 39.8F.   I noted that Plymouth ASOS about 7 miles due north of me and much lower is still at 31F.  Ouch!  Trying to get the snow/slush off driveway and walkway before the refreeze cycle starts building up that nasty hardpack undercoat.  Upcoming snow/ice/rain/snow cycles will make cleanup a bit more challenging to get down to bare asphalt especially once our cars come and go...

Looks like today's precip stayed all snow above 2500ft on the mountain.  No accumulation and just some drizzle and light rain below that. 

This evening it's gone back to snow/frozen down to 1500ft in the base area but it's still rain in town.

MarkO said rain is good for the snowpack so we'll test that theory here over the next few days haha.

Had some errands to run and just had that feeling that it was dumping at the ski area while it was raining in town... and sure enough, it was.  Rain changed to snow at 1,200ft and it was absolutely puking precipitation in the form of heavy wet snow that was just starting to coat the roadway.  By 1,500ft the road was completely covered and there was about a half inch of very dense "snow". 

Here's the drive up there:

https://i.imgur.com/k3gEwNJ.mp4

And here's the Gondola parking lot scene this evening:

https://i.imgur.com/WsROpaM.mp4

One decent burst of wet snow in town that was enough to put down a layer of slush on the roadways even at 700-800ft of elevation.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Legit squalls up there.

This has been a fun evening in ski country, with the lower mountain valleys trying to get in on the action.  At and above 1,500ft (Alex lives at the same elevation as the Stowe base area), has seen some serious squalls.  However, the flow has been too fast for significant accumulation.  It shows hard for 15 minutes, then stops for a bit, then 10 minutes of heavy snow, then it stops.  This event is more squally vs. a more organized upslope band.  It has the flavor of a 1-3" type event, maybe spot 4-5" in N.NH and W.ME as the models have been lighting that area up with the mix of synoptic support, wind direction, and meso-scale factors. 

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This has been a fun evening in ski country, with the lower mountain valleys trying to get in on the action.  At and above 1,500ft (Alex lives at the same elevation as the Stowe base area), has seen some serious squalls.  However, the flow has been too fast for significant accumulation.  It shows hard for 15 minutes, then stops for a bit, then 10 minutes of heavy snow, then it stops.  This event is more squally vs. a more organized upslope band.  It has the flavor of a 1-3" type event, maybe spot 4-5" in N.NH and W.ME as the models have been lighting that area up with the mix of synoptic support, wind direction, and meso-scale factors. 

That may start to settle as the initial surge of CAA passes. The squally parameters diminish later and we probably transition into a more traditional upslope after that.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like today's precip stayed all snow above 2500ft on the mountain.  No accumulation and just some drizzle and light rain below that. 

This evening it's gone back to snow/frozen down to 1500ft in the base area but it's still rain in town.

MarkO said rain is good for the snowpack so we'll test that theory here over the next few days haha.

I think you are referring to this mark.

And do you think you will be really testing that?  I bet you don't, at least not significantly.  Perhaps I don't, either  ;)

Archived