Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

A very heavy snow squall just went through here.  About 1/4" in 10 minutes.  Vis briefly dropped down to 1/8 mile stuff.  Now the sun is back out...I love snow squalls.  While they are usually very brief in my area the snow is heavier than just about any synoptic type event!

Yeah there's definitely some instability out there... this afternoon there were some periods of graupel and even at home its obvious a mix of big flakes and graupel made up the 1.5" as there's all those ball bearings mixed in.

Also, the sky has been incredible.  Like summertime thunderstorms.  Huge vertical growth for the winter-time with clear skies around the towers.

This shot is looking at Mansfield (only a few miles away) and Smugglers Notch...both of which are completely engulfed in a squall as this wall of white/gray moves across the landscape.

But its rare to me to see that type of vertical development in localized cells just dumping snow and graupel.

25348727_10103266519450700_2281635460027

A top ten life snow squall just moved through here.   1.25" in about 20 minutes.  Epic.  Vis dropped to 500-600 feet at one point.  

I saw it coming on radar and got the drone up as the squall was beginning but landed it before the vis really dropped to what most posters on this board would say is zero.  Must be a nightmare on Rt 93.

Squall is coming in from the NW.  In the drone video, I take off and start flying north.  Then I decided to return south and try to outrun the squall.  Couldn't quite do it so came back north returned to the house  (sorry I was like a kid in a candy store not knowing where to fly to) and tried to head north but was flying blind so returned and landed.   After the drone was back in the house the heaviest part of the squall occurred.  PS  Now Alex is getting one of these.  Cam is basically white....

snow 1.jpg

snow 2.jpg

So I know the board has undergone some changes, but can someone riddle me this...

I posted my last post about 3"/hr rates in the NEK of VT.  My previous stake photo showed up so I edited my post to delete it.

Then Gene's photos somehow showed up as being uploaded by me?  I'm so confused, how did his photos from his past post end up as my attachments when I didn't even quote his post? 

I didn't quote him or upload anything and there are his photos showing up in my attachments, ha.

wtf.jpg.712202857af2ecb48007e59b57d047a9.jpg

A top ten life snow squall just moved through here.   1.25" in about 20 minutes.  Epic.  Vis dropped to 500-600 feet at one point.  

I saw it coming on radar and got the drone up as the squall was beginning but landed it before the vis really dropped to what most posters on this board would say is zero.  Must be a nightmare on Rt 93.

Squall is coming in from the NW.  In the drone video, I take off and start flying north.  Then I decided to return south and try to outrun the squall.  Couldn't quite do it so came back north returned to the house  (sorry I was like a kid in a candy store not knowing where to fly to) and tried to head north but was flying blind so returned and landed.   After the drone was back in the house the heaviest part of the squall occurred.  PS  Now Alex is getting one of these.  Cam is basically white....

snow 1.jpg

snow 2.jpg

Awesome squall! Also, have I mentioned how much I love where you live? That's the dream, man, that's the dream.

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So I know the board has undergone some changes, but can someone riddle me this...

I posted my last post about 3"/hr rates in the NEK of VT.  My previous stake photo showed up so I edited my post to delete it.

Then Gene's photos somehow showed up as being uploaded by me?  I'm so confused, how did his photos from his past post end up as my attachments when I didn't even quote his post? 

I didn't quote him or upload anything and there are his photos showing up in my attachments, ha.

wtf.jpg.712202857af2ecb48007e59b57d047a9.jpg

PF,  Everything seems screwed up!  I tried posting and it wouldn't post and then I go back and it did actually post.  I see other posts are showing up twice in other threads so the board has some general issues right now. 

PF,  Everything seems screwed up!  I tried posting and it wouldn't post and then I go back and it did actually post.  I see other posts are showing up twice in other threads so the board has some general issues right now. 

Yeah we’re working on some of the issues one by one with the software upgrade. Any issues you find pass them along.

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

snow 1.jpg

snow 2.jpg

Gene this video is AWESOME

22 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Surprise 3.5" at High Road.  Pure Champlain Fluff.

Oh man, conditions are fantastic out there.  I hadn’t been up since our Tuesday outing at Bolton, which was partway through that bigger storm at the end of the week, but not surprisingly it’s just gotten better with the backside snows and additional toppings from yesterday.  We stopped in at Bolton for a few runs yesterday afternoon and found 8-10” of powder on the main mountain wherever they hadn’t been traffic, and a foot plus over at Timberline where it’s only been skinning traffic.  My full report is on our website, but I’ve added a few images from yesterday below.

16DEC17D.jpg

16DEC17B.jpg

16DEC17E.jpg

Looking at the BTV NWS forecast discussion, it looks like the next chance for snow is tomorrow with that warm front that was in the list of upcoming events I posted on Friday.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

During the overnight hours anticipate a warm front lifting north and bringing increasing cloud cover. We should see decent isentropic lift which will lead to some scattered snow showers before daybreak and during the day on Monday. Total snow accumulations should be generally less than an inch in the valleys with 1-4 inches at elevations above 1500 feet.

Meso-scale models are showing the potential for a decent light snow event tomorrow.

Most models seem to be high-lighting the central Greens, including Killington and Sugarbush... they do well on SW flow situations like this too.

There's a subtle terrain shift in orientation between the Killington and Sugarbush area that allows for some good upslope on SW flow.

Sw2dCw0.gif

Models seem to be picking up on it...

The NAM...

Sqr9BhJ.png

The 18z RGEM likes that area too.

s6rc1m1.png

Pico can go wild with SW flow and I'm not sure why. This was one example of a Pico event last year with a SW flow. The upper half of the mountain received over a foot of snow during the day and had about 8" down for first chair. Killington reported 3" that day. Some of the hardest snowfall I've seen since Nemo.

pico.jpg

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Meso-scale models are showing the potential for a decent light snow event tomorrow.

Most models seem to be high-lighting the central Greens, including Killington and Sugarbush... they do well on SW flow situations like this too.

There's a subtle terrain shift in orientation between the Killington and Sugarbush area that allows for some good upslope on SW flow.

Sw2dCw0.gif

Models seem to be picking up on it...

The NAM...

Sqr9BhJ.png

The 18z RGEM likes that area too.

s6rc1m1.png

Hope so.  I put new winter tires (Nokian wrg3 ftw) on the truck and bought a new snow brush yesterday to mix up the juju.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Pico can go wild with SW flow and I'm not sure why. This was one example of a Pico event last year with a SW flow. The upper half of the mountain received over a foot of snow during the day and had about 8" down for first chair. Killington reported 3" that day. Some of the hardest snowfall I've seen since Nemo.

pico.jpg

I love low vis snow shots! Pi Day was the highest snow rate I have ever witnessed :)

17240057_10104145635954229_2426412228305

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Meh. I wouldn't worry beyond 3-5 days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

GFS looks decent after the inevitable Grinch late week.

I was just sort of poking fun at the rapid mood shifts and doomsday tone. Im not happy about the possibility of a Grinch storm but it’s not completely awful for us afterward. 

Archived