• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

Steadily accumulating snow is ongoing once again here. We could make that run up to 7 or 8 inches depending on what we see on the back side with the meso effects. I know NWS has some uncertainties about exactly how that will set up and if there will even be Champlain Effect banding. I just hope it is blocked enough for a few hours to where we hit that warning level. 

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 9.7” Snow/0.56” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.5

Snow Density: 6.9% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.5 inches

Our NWS point forecast was for something in the 8”-14” range for this event, so we’ll have no problem achieving that.

Event totals: 11.9” Snow/0.71” L.E.

I was up working at midnight, so I was able to make snow measurements at that point, and I’ve got those along with this morning’s standard 6:00 A.M. measurements.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.0

Snow Density: 7.7% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.0

Snow Density: 5.6% H2O

Temperature: 19.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

The snow depth at the stake has started to stagnate with settling keeping pace with new accumulations, but the backside snow was really cranking when I left the house this morning, so we’ll see what that does today.  I reset our webcam snowboard this morning, and I can see that there are already a couple of new inches of accumulation, so I’ll have some additional snowfall to report on later today.

School was canceled for my older son yesterday, so I was home with him.  Since the storm had only started up yesterday morning, we waited until midafternoon, the headed up to Bolton Valley for a quick ski tour in the new snow.

On the way up to the Village, we noted the state of the snow at the Timberline Base (1,500’) and one could certainly have made some turns there if they wanted to, but some of the taller brush was still showing so I’d say it wasn’t quite ready for prime time at that point.  We toured in the Wilderness area from 2,100’ up to around 2,800’, and we measured depths of the new snow in the 6” to 9” range, with some spots approaching 10” near the top of our ascent.  I’d say the accumulations up there at that point weren’t all that different than what we had down at the house, although the flakes were pretty small, and the powder a reasonable middle-weight variety, so I’d say they’d picked up more liquid equivalent.

In terms of the powder skiing, although it certainly wasn’t champagne dry snow, the moderate heft to it was decent for keeping you up off the base.  At this stage of the season we can of course use some snow with plenty of liquid in it to build the snowpack, and if what’s up there gets topped with fluff form the back side of the storm, it should produce some excellent powder skiing.  I’m sure they’ve had a few more inches up there now like we’ve had down at the house, but I’ve added a few shots from yesterday below:

12DEC17A.jpg

12DEC17B.jpg

12DEC17C.jpg

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest storm.  I’m using the available 48-hour, 72-hour or storm report snow totals for the list.

Jay Peak: 19”

Burke: 25”

Smuggler’s Notch: 25”

Stowe: 23”

Bolton Valley: 24”

Sugarbush: 14”

Pico: 20”

Killington: 20”

Okemo: 16”

Bromley: 12”

Magic Mountain: 14”

Stratton: 12”

Mount Snow: 15”

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest storm.  I’m using the available 48-hour, 72-hour or storm report snow totals for the list.

Jay Peak: 19”

Burke: 25”

Smuggler’s Notch: 25”

Stowe: 23”

Bolton Valley: 24”

Sugarbush: 14”

Pico: 20”

Killington: 20”

Okemo: 16”

Bromley: 12”

Magic Mountain: 14”

Stratton: 12”

Mount Snow: 15”

Yea, that has to include the sun-mon snow for the northern mtns. Stowe had 7" Monday and that's the only way it gets to 23"...what's interesting is that Killington had ZERO monday. They just got crushed yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, adk said:

Yea, that has to include the sun-mon snow for the northern mtns. Stowe had 7" Monday and that's the only way it gets to 23"...what's interesting is that Killington had ZERO monday. They just got crushed yesterday. 

Yeah, I’m guessing that must be the case.  For Stowe I can see that working out, since I had to use the 72-hour total since they don’t give a 48-hour total.  For those other northern mountains though, they’re calling it their 48-hour total, so it seemed like it would be mostly this latest storm, but I guess some of that lake-effect stuff was included in there as well.

Event totals: 15.2” Snow/0.78” L.E.

The snow was really coming down at the house this morning – I saw on our webcam snowboard that we picked up and inch from 8:30 A.M. – 9:00 A.M., so the rate was ~2”/hr. during that period.  The radar doesn’t show much now, but if indeed this is the end of event, it’s already delivered quite well.  A 15.2” total for the storm is actually even a bit over the 8-14” that was in our NWS point forecast, but I’d say they did their typical great job of forecasting for a challenging, mountainous, microclimate-riddled area.

After that very slow first 1/3 of the month, a shot like this event was much needed to get December snowfall back on track.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 47.1

Snow Density: 2.1% H2O

Temperature: 12.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

Archived