• Last Reply

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

This morning’s snow accumulation was fairly similar to what I found on the board yesterday morning, but today’s temperature was roughly 5 F colder and the flakes were preserved a bit better.  About a half hour after observations we had a more potent snow shower roll through that put down at least another tenth of an inch, but I had to head out so I wasn’t able to see if it accumulated beyond that.  I’m not seeing anything obvious on our J&E Productions Live Web Cam, so I’m guessing it passed through.  There were a lot of marauding snow showers playing hide-and-seek among the peaks and valleys as I headed through the mountains today, so that made for a scenic trip into Burlington.  Actually, there’s a potent squall here in Burlington right now that is putting down a quick coating of snow.

It looks like this next winter storm is affecting enough people to be named, it’s called Winter Storm Benji.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Jeez those lake bands came through in some spots of northern VT.

Greensboro in Orleans County coming in with 6.2" on 0.29" water.  Not bad.

Yeah, that’s why I would have loved to check out a Jay Peak web cam yesterday if they had one – I could see that up there toward the NEK was doing fairly well with the trajectory of the snow band.  I don’t think it’s coincidence that Jay Peak is reporting 5 to 7” in 24 hours and 9” in 48 hours.  Their pic of the day yesterday shows some nice snow coming down.

Partly cloudy meh day here.  I would never know N VT is getting snow showers...

Looking forward to my 2-3" of snow tomorrow.  Nice that it will come in during the daytime.  I like really dark, snowy December days.  Very different feel verses a wet bright mid March snow.   Hopefully just enough to cover the grass completely to finally make it look like the winter season.

Also the earliest sunset of the year today....

Nice, J.Spin.

The snowboard up here in Stowe Village has flakes on it but not completely covered so a trace so far here.  Light snow is falling though.

Was a beautiful morning on the slopes though.

The 6" worth of snow showers over the past few days above 2,500ft at least is at least making for a very nice, wintry vibe up on the big hill even as we've missed this bigger ticket synoptic event.

24958909_10154972143912382_7627228918914

2"  at 815pm.   Snow was extremely light all afternoon and early evening.  Now finally getting some good steady light snow.  Plow just went by. 

Will this be the begining of the constant snowpack of winter?  With my good CAD location it gets really hard to melt.  Especially if this fluff gets a slight melt tomorrow afternoon and then a refreeze at night.  That is what it has to do to get the durablity layer.

I was not excited about this storm, more interested in Tuesday.

Good for you Alex,  I didn't think you would get that much and with some banding coming into the Whites I bet get you might hit 5" or even 6"!

4.25"  fluff.....

I was out yesterday morning and yelling at the deer to eat fast and fill up.  This might be the last grass they will see till April.  Some years we do loose snowcover but most years once it lays down in early Dec that is it.  With more storms this week and a slight melt and then refreeze the durable bottom base will start.

Love living in a place that truely gets 4 seasons although Spring seems really short...

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.05” L.E.

As of roughly midnight last night there was a final tenth of an inch of snow that was obviously from Winter Storm Benji based on the radar, and I figured that would be it for the event.  However, this morning there was actually a total of 0.5” of snow on the snowboard, and the additional snow really seemed to be of a different origin because it was extremely dry and fluffy.  So something clearly snuck in there overnight.  Diving into the BTV NWS forecast discussion, this snow seemed to align best with this part of the discussion:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 617 AM EST Sunday...Area of light snow has flared up in the vicinity of Lake Champlain this morning with activity expected to hold together through mid-morning as it moves only slowly eastward. Have updated forecast to account for this enhanced area of light snow that may put down a dusting to two inches of snow over parts of northwest Vermont this morning.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 911 AM EST Sunday...No changes were needed with this update. Two areas of light snow continue to slowly move eastward this morning...one over northwestern VT and the other across the Adirondacks. Expect this precipitation will wane a bit through the morning hours as it pushes east, but snow showers should increase this afternoon, particularly over the higher terrain, as the upper trough swings across the region.

I’m going categorize this morning’s extra snow as post-Winter Storm Benji, and split it out from that event.  There really doesn’t seem to be enough mentioned about this morning’s flare up of snowfall to split it out as its own event, so I’m going to roll it in as part of the trough moving through the area, which would include anything else that falls today in line with the BTV NWS forecast discussion.

The big, fluffy flakes from this flare up have continued to fall for a lot of the morning around here in Waterbury, so that’s been quite picturesque.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

Archived