Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had a memory like Will, but alas I can only remember it happening not when.

There was the WINDEX last winter or the winter before (see?!) that came through like a true thunderstorm. If it had been raining it would've been easily an SPS with gust to 40 mph. 

I also remember one from my formative weenie years, maybe late 90s, in Barrington. It was heavy snow, falling straight down, so wind wasn't an issue popping transformers. I saw several flashes, and remember being pretty excited about my first thundersnow experience. 

But that's all I can remember from RI. I had some in the 2011 Groundhog Day blizzard in IA. And at least 3 separate times in ME since moving here. 

Best thunder snow event by far was my Memorial Weekend snow several years ago.  The one in which I got 3" of snow over the course of a couple of hours that evening.  Not just one or two lightning strikes but many.  Almost like a summer thunderstorm all the while extreme snowfall at 33F or so degrees.  Best winter event of my life!

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I wish I had a memory like Will, but alas I can only remember it happening not when.

There was the WINDEX last winter or the winter before (see?!) that came through like a true thunderstorm. If it had been raining it would've been easily an SPS with gust to 40 mph. 

I also remember one from my formative weenie years, maybe late 90s, in Barrington. It was heavy snow, falling straight down, so wind wasn't an issue popping transformers. I saw several flashes, and remember being pretty excited about my first thundersnow experience. 

But that's all I can remember from RI. I had some in the 2011 Groundhog Day blizzard in IA. And at least 3 separate times in ME since moving here. 

Hmm. Early Dec 96? That did not have much wind, but I recall several flashes in that event. I went to HS in Taunton so maybe Barrington had it too?

Hmm. Early Dec 96? That did not have much wind, but I recall several flashes in that event. I went to HS in Taunton so maybe Barrington had it too?

I'm not challenging you, but how the heck do u recall "several" flashes in an event 20+ yrs ago? Ive always thought I had good memory about things but not numerical recollection about events

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just now, Lava Rock said:

I'm not challenging you, but how the heck do u recall "several" flashes in an event 20+ yrs ago? Ive always thought I had good memory about things but not numerical recollection about things.

That’s the famous Cantore thundersnow event...look up at my post. That was a bigtime storm.

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm not challenging you, but how the heck do u recall "several" flashes in an event 20+ yrs ago? Ive always thought I had good memory about things but not numerical recollection about events

I was in HS. I remember being in a music studies class. LOL.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don't have my laptop, but it was a 2 part system. The first part had snow down to the south coast, but it was during the day. So this was at night?

Definitely dark, but not well after dinner. So probably a mid-winter Dec or Jan event. After my cousins moved to Barrington but not when I was in high school, so that gives us a window of like 1991 to 1998. :lol:

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just went through years of PVD data, and didn't see any reporting of thunder in the METARs. Sad.

I've always regretted not being a big enough weenie then to ingrain that date.

Not surprised about PVD though in the 90s. T snow has been a familiar scene around here lately but nothing can come close to 09s constant barrage of pink lightning 

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just went through years of PVD data, and didn't see any reporting of thunder in the METARs. Sad.

I've always regretted not being a big enough weenie then to ingrain that date.

I was in Brockton during most of those years. A bit to your NE, but downwind so you'd think I would remember if so. Can't recall. Only one I can think of is 3/31/97, but you'd probably remember that one.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was in Brockton during most of those years. A bit to your NE, but downwind so you'd think I would remember if so. Can't recall. Only one I can think of is 3/31/97, but you'd probably remember that one.

Honestly that's probably the best match though. It's not inconceivable that I would be at my cousins (one street from home) that late at night.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Next several days look dull with some rain Fri and next week. Be nice to get some snow on the ground. Something brewing end of next week?

First you said you wanted it cold before it snows, Now you want snow before it gets cold?

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Honestly that's probably the best match though. It's not inconceivable that I would be at my cousins (one street from home) that late at night.

You said there was little or no wind though? April '97 would have had a lot of wind though maybe early enough in the storm there could have been periods of calmer snow.

It might be a little too early in the window, but Feb 25, 1990 would have been a prime suspect...it was an intense norlun that sliced through parts of RI. Norluns are always good contenders for thundersnow with little wind. Not really sure if there was another good one in RI...but my memory is def MA-centric back in the 1990s. That inverted trough that went crazy on 1/10/96 in E MA maybe could have produced there...the only problem was that the heaviest snows were in the morning.

April 9-10, 1996 could have produced (it had some pretty heavy snow in RI) it though it would have probably been more like mid to late evening. More than likely it was prob some mundane heavy snow event that happened to produce a nice band there is my guess.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You said there was little or no wind though? April '97 would have had a lot of wind though maybe early enough in the storm there could have been periods of calmer snow.

It might be a little too early in the window, but Feb 25, 1990 would have been a prime suspect...it was an intense norlun that sliced through parts of RI. Norluns are always good contenders for thundersnow with little wind. Not really sure if there was another good one in RI...but my memory is def MA-centric back in the 1990s. That inverted trough that went crazy on 1/10/96 in E MA maybe could have produced there...the only problem was that the heaviest snows were in the morning.

April 9-10, 1996 could have produced (it had some pretty heavy snow in RI) it though it would have probably been more like mid to late evening. More than likely it was prob some mundane heavy snow event that happened to produce a nice band there is my guess.

There was one event (honing in on 90-91) where we had a two hr window of TSSN. It was pretty mild in the morning iirc, but around 4pm it went nuts. I never can find the exact date. Thought it was later Feb or Mar. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There was one event (honing in on 90-91) where we had a two hr window of TSSN. It was pretty mild in the morning iirc, but around 4pm it went nuts. I never can find the exact date. Thought it was later Feb or Mar. 

Maybe you're thinking of 2/24-25/90.

1991 was such garbage...there wasn't much that winter. There were those back to back events in March 1992 around the equinox that could have been it too.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe you're thinking of 2/24-25/90.

1991 was such garbage...there wasn't much that winter. There were those back to back events in March 1992 around the equinox that could have been it too.

Definitely  wasn't the equinox 92 event, had no school on that one. I have to look back at some local GINXY sea scrolls for this.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely  wasn't the equinox 92 event, had no school on that one. I have to look back at some local GINXY sea scrolls for this.

My guess is either the 2/24-25/90 event or maybe you're thinking of something a little more removed from that...1993 maybe?

I'm pretty confident it wasn't 1990-1991 winter unless it happened maybe in January or it was some tiny event that just happened to snow good for 2 hours...Feb/Mar that year was pathetic. Do you remember roughly how much snow you got?

edit: I suppose there's a chance it was the 3/14/91 event? There was a burst of snow in that one...but it wasn't a big event. Maybe like 3-5". We did get a bit more back in ORH but I remember it was less to the east.

Ok, I just figured out that 3/14/91 was a Thursday...so maybe this is Scooter's event. I also remember it starting slowly in the morning but getting better in the afternoon...that would fit the "it was kind of mild in the morning but then went nuts" theme out in eastern MA.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ok, I just figured out that 3/14/91 was a Thursday...so maybe this is Scooter's event. I also remember it starting slowly in the morning but getting better in the afternoon...that would fit the "it was kind of mild in the morning but then went nuts" theme out in eastern MA.

Ha ha, I was actually in school for that. We had a solid 5 to 6 inches in that one where I was in Brockton.  The event I'm speaking of occurred on the weekend, I believe Sunday. It may have been your earliest suggestion. I'm on the road, but I have to look that up when I get a chance. I may be able to find some local co-op's that can help me. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha ha, I was actually in school for that. We had a solid 5 to 6 inches in that one where I was in Brockton.  The event I'm speaking of occurred on the weekend, I believe Sunday. It may have been your earliest suggestion. I'm on the road, but I have to look that up when I get a chance. I may be able to find some local co-op's that can help me. 

Feb 24-25, 1990 was on a weekend. So that is prob it.

42 minutes ago, eyewall said:

It was a great day to take to the skies before the winds really picked up. I also ventured to Moss Glen falls in Granville and Texas Falls:

38752205681_98450c460c_b.jpg

38035961354_1506a92493_b.jpg

23887569387_086c5d3766_b.jpg

38752210941_35a213f6c6_b.jpg

Is the Texas Falls campground rebuilt after Irene. The last time I visited there, summer of 2012, it was heavily flooding damaged. I would guess traces of that destruction are still around.

Just now, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Is the Texas Falls campground rebuilt after Irene. The last time I visited there, summer of 2012, it was heavily flooding damage. I would guess traces of that are still around.

I am not sure I didn't go up that far but a new bridge was in place across the river over the falls. The old one was quite a bit lower and I am guessing was wiped out by Irene. 

Archived