Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, adk said:

What is really interesting to me is how little snow fell south of Route 2. Sugarbush rarely has such a large divergence from Stowe. I'd say it was due to some measuring error if it wasn't for the snow cam and board they have set up. That confirmed it just didn't really snow down there. 

I'd be curious what you find in Bolton J.Spin.  It is still coming down pretty good on the west side. 

I had a chance to get out to the mountain for a tour this morning, so the depths I found should represent the state of the snow with yesterday’s additional snowfall, plus settling through this morning.

It was a bit tough to discriminate between the newest snow and what was below, so the numbers I’m reporting below represent what I found for total snowpack depth starting at the base of the Bolton Valley Access Road.

340’: 2”

1,500’: 8-9”

2,100’: 10-12”

2,500’: 12-16”

3,000’: 12-18”

Although it was hard to get an idea of where the base snow stopped and where the surface snow began, I do have some info.  Down at 1,500’ it seemed like there was maybe an inch or so of base, so most of that was new.  Up at 2,100’ there were a couple of inches down, and probably around four inches at 2,500’.  I’d guess six inches of base at the 3,000’ level.  The wind in the higher elevations made for a larger range of depths, but I didn’t find a huge increase relative to 2,500’.  Now that the resort has reported in with 10 inches, that seems like it makes reasonable sense.  There may have been a bit of settling, but I’d say snowfall of 10-12” was probably what they saw, and it was skiing great!  I’ll try to pass along some pictures from the tour when I get a chance.

I’ve checked on the snow totals from the Vermont ski areas for the past 48-72 hours, and they’re listed north to south below.  In general I used the 72-hour total if posted, or values from the report text if that wasn’t available.

Jay Peak: 22”

Smuggler’s Notch: 13”

Stowe: 15”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Sugarbush: 1”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

I’m not sure why Sugarbush revised their total down to 1” from the 3” they noted previously, but it makes the snowfall gradient look even more extreme south of the Northern Greens.

Good ole Jay at the top.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice sunset this morning in Central NH ( a friend took this picture at Newfound Lake) and maybe elsewhere and now another great sunset tonight in Vermont.  Not too often you see them at both ends...

Newfound Sunrise.jpg

Wow you really had a sunset this morning? That has to be a historical event at our latitudes :P

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean it does kind of feel that way when I wake up at 10-11 after getting home around 1 AM and the sun is setting 4 hours later.

Sunrise/ Sunsets....wasn't there a song about that?  Speaking of sunsets we are almost at our earliest sunsets of the year.  412pm here in Central NH.   Earliest is 410pm next week.  Then they start getting later.  Meanwhile, sunrises keep getting later until very early January.  So the net result is the shortest day on the solstice.  It's interesting to see how far southeast the sun rises in the AM and how far southwest it sets in the PM.  I should fly my drone at solar noon in a couple of weeks and do the same thing in late June to compare the daylight angle and brightness.  

Did I get that all right?

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Sunrise/ Sunsets....wasn't there a song about that?  Speaking of sunsets we are almost at our earliest sunsets of the year.  412pm here in Central NH.   Earliest is 410pm next week.  Then they start getting later.  Meanwhile, sunrises keep getting later until very early January.  So the net result is the shortest day on the solstice.  It's interesting to see how far southeast the sun rises in the AM and how far southwest it sets in the PM.  I should fly my drone at solar noon in a couple of weeks and do the same thing in late June to compare the daylight angle and brightness.  

Did I get that all right?

Yeah we have a window at the office that is nearly due east facing, and you can see the difference through the year as to how the sun rises. In the winter it is so far to the right of the window we can't see sunrise anymore because of trees, despite being at 400 ft ASL.

8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve checked on the snow totals from the Vermont ski areas for the past 48-72 hours, and they’re listed north to south below.  In general I used the 72-hour total if posted, or values from the report text if that wasn’t available.

Jay Peak: 22”

Smuggler’s Notch: 13”

Stowe: 15”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Sugarbush: 1”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

I’m not sure why Sugarbush revised their total down to 1” from the 3” they noted previously, but it makes the snowfall gradient look even more extreme south of the Northern Greens.

I was off today but Andre found ~1" of new dust at the base at 5:30am and grooming hadn't been on the upper mountain in a while (early season grooming patterns) so he assumed a similar amount for the upper mountain and bumped the total from 14" to 15" at 6am.  Remember we are just rounding to the nearest inch and there are always local variations, but trying our best to get a reasonably accurate totals to the whole inch.  My guess is its like 0.8" or something.

ihAPqMW.jpg

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Love thundersnow, Have experienced probably a handful of times.

I've heard it 3X, plus a thundersleet in Feb 2008.  My wife heard thunder during a paste job in Feb 2011 but I slept thru it.  The 3 times span a lot of years:  12/24/66 (15" pre-Christmas bonanza in NNJ.  I thought the 1st crash was  sonic boom; 2nd one confirmed what I'd thought impossible.), 11/21/89 (thunderblizzard that ushered in 5+ weeks of frigid temps), and 2/10/05 (21" dump but not especially windy or otherwise notable.)

Yeah we have a window at the office that is nearly due east facing, and you can see the difference through the year as to how the sun rises. In the winter it is so far to the right of the window we can't see sunrise anymore because of trees, despite being at 400 ft ASL.

Or why the sun first hits at least 3 different Maine points throughout the year, Cadillac Mt now, Mars Hill when the days are long, and West Quoddy Head near the equinoxes.  A study by Yankee magazine 40+ years back, using circles based on horizon distances from various points, came up with those locations and approximate dates for each.  IIRC, MWN was significantly too far inland but Katahdin was on the edge of competing for a few days twice a year.  And Nantucket was very close to taking the prize on the winter solstice.

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I still haven’t really seen it. We had thundersleet back in one of 5ose Feb storms at the beginning of the decade. I think I heard thunder with a snow shower in the 90s, but I can’t remember if it was all a dream. I could probably figure out what date that was.

Interesting. Found my weenie ob on coolwx.com and it was from the Feb 2001 storm around 4z. I’ll have to do a little digging to see if that made sense or if a transformer blew. lol

edit...check that. It was Feb 3 at 4z (or the evening of the 2nd). Feb 01 was a couple of days later.

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Love thundersnow, Have experienced probably a handful of times.

We've had it twice this month so far... and last year there were two distinct events that featured it.

It's important to note they are "different" types of thundersnow in that most people think of it as occurring in a dynamic synoptic system, like coastal storm.  I haven't heard thundersnow in a synoptic system since Feb 2011 but may have heard it up to half a dozen times since then in cold fronts, strong vort maxes with CAA, stuff like that.  Sort of like how a Lake Effect snow zone might hear or see thundersnow a few times a winter.

Both times this season and the two from last winter were all from strong CAA/low level convergence from a surface front which then hits the mountains and the lift goes nuclear.  Its often with graupel and snow, vs. straight snow in say a synoptic deform band or something.  The friction from the riming of the flakes and the turbulence or whatever you want to call it, mixed with heavy precip in these situations must be the trigger. 

MVL and the valley just missed it with 5SM VCTS -RN and a couple obs later 4SM -SN.  They very well may have had som GS in there too. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Interesting. Found my weenie on on coolwx.com and it was from the Feb 2001 storm around 4z. I’ll have to do a little digging to see if that made sense or if a transformer blew. lol

edit...check that. It was Feb 3 at 4z (or the evening of the 2nd). Feb 01 was a couple of days later.

Guess I may not have been dreaming. 

SPECI KAFN 030400Z AUTO 26008KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BKN001 OVC018 M03/M04 A2975 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT E P0000

Archived