Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

45 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My guess is powderfreak is "surprised" w another 5-6" at 3k tonite 

On cue the Spine just lit up on radar.  Here we go again haha.  This time though not a surprise.  This morning was.  I'm thinking 0.15-0.3" QPF for 3-6" at 20:1.  This will be fluff as opposed to this morning.

This is the 1.5 degree scan which gets blocked by the mountains but you get the idea.

IMG_7470.GIF.cff65f109073722ea8d473a347be9e7d.GIF

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

MSS actually tripped 0.08" liquid so far, I would wager that's an inch of snow anyway.

Could be more?  At least here this stuff is cold pow.  Fluffy but not ridiculous.  Nothing like the cotton candy of the other day.  Steady light snow at home but radar would indicate the mountain is seeing up to 1"/hr rates. J.Spin is going to get crushed.

3.2" on the hood of my car before leaving home this morning.  4-5" for the mountain.  Not much difference between home and mountain this time.

This was the largest single burst of snow so far this season at home.  Snow had a more synoptic consistency walking through it this morning, whereas last night it seemed a lot more fluffy before I went to bed.

Still snowing steadily.

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.14” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.5

Snow Density: 5.7% H2O

Temperature: 31.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

There’s been a couple of additional tenths of accumulation this morning subsequent to observations time, and there’s still some light snow around, so I’ll have at least one more update to make for this event.

Below is the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas – the first number is the 24-hour total, which should represent the snow from just this latest system, and the second number is the 48-hour total, which should include the preceding cold front snow as well.  Apparently these events have been pretty focused over the Northern Greens, because totals quickly fall off south of there:

Jay Peak: 6”/14”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”/11”

Stowe: 5”/10”

Sugarbush: 1”/3”

Killington: 0”/0”

Okemo: 0”/0”

Stratton: 0”/0”

Mount Snow: 1”/1”

What is really interesting to me is how little snow fell south of Route 2. Sugarbush rarely has such a large divergence from Stowe. I'd say it was due to some measuring error if it wasn't for the snow cam and board they have set up. That confirmed it just didn't really snow down there. 

I'd be curious what you find in Bolton J.Spin.  It is still coming down pretty good on the west side. 

This is a webcam question for PF...

I was spending a few minutes trying to look at weather conditions at ski resorts.  I first took a look at Loon Mtn since they are the biggest resort in NH.  Wow, the 2 grainy small webcams they have are zoomed in on a small section of a trail that was snow covered.  I couldn't get any sense of the general weather conditions, if it was snowing, how much snow fell, sky conditions etc.  Waterville Valley was slightly better but not much.  Bretton Woods has a nice cam that shows the trails, lifts and the mountain and sky and its live so you can see its snowing.  I looked at Stowe and at least you have a cam (static) showing the parking lot so you can see how much new snow is on the cars, sky etc.  Also you have a static cam up above.

Webcam technology is so cheap and good now with high res pictures.  My question is, do you think resorts do not want to show the public too much info in fear they may not come up?  Loon could do so much better, jeez my home cams are far superior for a couple hundred bucks.  What do you think being in the business?

Thanks

Gene

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You would think Jay would want to show the world all of the new snow they get. 

Please tell me you aren't serious......

The best eastcoast cam is the one at Sugarbush. There is no debate about this. It's lit. Its on a snowboard. It has 24hrs of video. It's awesome. Every mtn should have this set up and should just deal with the "truth"

16 minutes ago, adk said:

Please tell me you aren't serious......

The best eastcoast cam is the one at Sugarbush. There is no debate about this. It's lit. Its on a snowboard. It has 24hrs of video. It's awesome. Every mtn should have this set up and should just deal with the "truth"

Huh?

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You would think Jay would want to show the world all of the new snow they get. 

If they started doing this their season average would drop by about 60" maybe more lol. I cannot tell you how many times I've been there when they reported 2-3" or 4-5" and there is maybe a dusting. My favorite line of theirs is  "it all blew into the woods". 

3 hours ago, adk said:

What is really interesting to me is how little snow fell south of Route 2. Sugarbush rarely has such a large divergence from Stowe. I'd say it was due to some measuring error if it wasn't for the snow cam and board they have set up. That confirmed it just didn't really snow down there. 

I'd be curious what you find in Bolton J.Spin.  It is still coming down pretty good on the west side. 

Unfortunately my schedule was a bit too tight to head up to the mountain this morning (and Bolton hasn’t put any snowfall numbers up for this event), so I’ll have to see if I can get up there at some point to check on how things are going.  That snow is definitely still cranking along though based on the radar – look at that flow into the spine:

27NOV17A.gif

I can see from my web cam that we’ve also had another inch fall at the house.

Just now, PowderBeard said:

J.Spin and PF, which radar do you guys use for those images?

Wunderground and then use either the composite scan or 2.5 degree.

I like the 2.5 degree scan for Mansfield...just with those higher scans know with NW wind there is some downwind drift.  So I like to see the heaviest echoes right on the western slope, those are likely ending up right on the mountain crest and J.Spin's house, haha. 

At my house I like to see the echoes peak right over the mountain crest (county line) and it seems to snow quite hard at home.  The beam is rising so it'll often get higher than where the snow is being produced (low level precip with these orographic events).

Archived