Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you NNE guys are a little slow especially that Dryslot character, but free Euro in depth maps have been available at Joerges site for months and we have posted the link many times. Ryan is now his partner and is making his own site. But I like Joerges.  And he says free forever 

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/usa-east/temperature-f.html

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ha,  its already paying dividends having Matt and Danielle as neighbors.  When I visited last weekend I was complaining to Matt that I don't like having my antique Windows XP desktop running to upload the Davis weather station.  He suggested their IP Weatherlink logger.  So bought one and it came today.  Now I'm 24/7 online.  I'm building a little weatherpage with my 2 webcams and weather station for no stop shopping.  In time for our cold rainstorm here is the new Weatherlink page.

https://www.weatherlink.com/user/wxeyenh/index.php?view=main&headers=1

Nice Gene! Glad to see your data up 24/7.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I know you NNE guys are a little slo especially that Dryslot character, but free Euro in depth maps have been available at Joerges site for months and we have posted the link many times. Ryan is now his partner and is making his own site. But I like Joerges.  And he says free forever 

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/usa-east/temperature-f.html

Their wx.graphics site is more better, but doesn't have all of the levels.

It's 815pm and I'm at 33F.   I just went to the Gray NWS to see if there was a winter weather advisory up for Grafton County or perhaps the northern part half at least.  Nope.  No special weather statements either unless I read the technical discussion.  Looking at the 18Z GFS accumulated snowfall over the next 30 hours there is a large area of accumulating snow in the Whites.  Maybe its all elevation and like people have pointed out that no one lives there.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just in time my Nest webcam account is screwed up so the webcam doesn't seem to be working right.  Nest says there are some network problems today or my new weatherlink is hogging upload bandwidth.  Jeez....

Untitled.jpg

53 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's 815pm and I'm at 33F.   I just went to the Gray NWS to svv'wf there was a winter weather a dvisory up for Grafton County or perhaps the northern part half at least.  Nope.  No special weather statements either unless I read the technical discussion.  Looking at the 18Z GFS accumulated snowfall over the next 30 hours there is a large area of accumulating snow in the Whites.  Maybe its all elevation and like people have pointed out that no one lives there.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just in time my Nest webcam account is screwed up so the webcam doesn't seem to be working right.  Nest says there are some network problems today or my new weatherlink is hogging upload bandwidth.  Jeez....

Untitled.jpg

Seems Your wanting an overperformer on the front end and a very fast coastal transfer with high vv's

When I first checked outside around this morning in the 6:00 to 6:30 A.M. timeframe there was some light precipitation consisting of very wet flakes, but the intensity has since increased and some bigger flakes have appeared.  Temperatures are still too marginal here for more than a slushy dusting of accumulation thus far however.

Gona to moderate/heavy snow here (not sure where the boundary is). Windy and sticking (although it gets whipped up by the wind) in spite of 33.6 temp. Forecast not very encouraging for later in the day, but should at least get some upslope later. It's still early, all gravy at this point so let's enjoy what we get. I just want enough to play with my new snowplow lol. 

34F  light rain.   Hey  I upgraded my Weatherlink so it reports to the website.  I built a simple webpage that shows both my webcams and the Davis station.  I had some uploading bandwidth issues but I think they are resolved.  Can anyone check my site and let me know if its working right?

Thanks

Gene    http://www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

34F  light rain.   Hey  I upgraded my Weatherlink so it reports to the website.  I built a simple webpage that shows both my webcams and the Davis station.  I had some uploading bandwidth issues but I think they are resolved.  Can anyone check my site and let me know if its working right?

Thanks

Gene    http://www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

Seems to be working! Over to some drizzle/very light rain here, sun poking through occasionally. BORING!

Snow began in west Farmington (where my pickup was getting repaired) about 9, and when I headed out at 9:30 it was moderate SN with the main road (Route 2) whitened, though only a tenth or two accum.  Two miles SE and p-type changed to sleety-rimey things and the road was dark.  That continued until I was descending the south side of Mile Hill into Belgrade, where it was RA- with catpaws, which faded to dz in Augusta.  All RA outside the office, and there's a patch of blue to the south.  Looks like another "T" event for the home front.

2 hours ago, alex said:

Seems to be working! Over to some drizzle/very light rain here, sun poking through occasionally. BORING!

Alex,  It's been a real learning experience for me watching your cam and weather station.  Until you guys moved up there I really never had been able to watch a a high-quality cam and station in the heart of the Whites.  Over the past year this is what I have learned...  Any input from more knowledgeable posters is welcome to correct my thoughts.

With synoptic systems moving up the coast on a south flow things can be very wacky at your location.  I mean, that even if radar is showing lots of heavy precip around you that does not necessarily mean its raining/snowing hard at your exact location at the base of the northern ridges of the high Whites.  I think its because the flow has to lift over that whole area of 3-4500 peaks and you get downslope where the precip dries out to some extent and you actually warm up. Really very small microclimates.  For instance today.  I have been colder than you and while I'll have pretty good rain/snow you get much less precip with even breaks in the clouds.  This happened many times last winter.  

On the other hand, if we have a strong storm further east and the winds crank from the east or northeast you get lots of precip.  The flow has to still come over the Presidential Range but that is further east than the mountains just to your south which are at your doorstep.  That big snowstorm you got was with a north/northeast wind.  I forget the date but you had one of the higher totals.

After storms depart is when you get your best snow accumulations with upslope against the Whites.  If the flow is more from the west you don't do great as the Greens rob most of the moisture.  You still seem to get lots of the 2-4" fluff but not big accums.  Flurries always seem to intensify after dark.  If the departing storm gives you a direct north flow then you do the best as the wind comes right up against the spine to your south.

As far as temperatures go your location seems to be right up there with the few other areas that report the lowest temps in NH on radiational cooling nights.  Yea some areas way up along the Canadian border get a few degrees lower but not by much.  

All and all it is really interesting and I'll keep watching!!

Chow!

Nice writeup Gene - yes, definitely sums up the weather up here! Wacky is a good way to describe it. While in an ideal world I'd have snow no matter where the wind blows from and no matter what type of system, the thing I really have gotten to enjoy is the upslope. Even without the Mansfield totals, there's something really nice about knowing that we don't have to wait for a storm to get snow; I'd rather get more frequent snow even if I my totals in some of the synoptic setups are lower or the retention under southerly flows is not as good as it is on the other side of the notch. As for the cold... yes, the radiational cooling in this bowl can be RIDICULOUS, and to be honest, that's not something I enjoy particularly much. But when I combine scenery and weather, I'm really really really happy with the choice of making this my home! 

I was out and about today in our part of the Northern Greens, so I can pass along some weather observations from the area.  The early morning snowfall that we’d seen at the house hung around at varying levels of light intensity, but similar to what I’d seen earlier, it never really accumulated beyond a slushy coating of flakes since the temperatures were a bit above freezing.  The snow situation was the same though much of Waterbury at similar elevations, but up near 1,000’ at the top of the Shutesville Hill area along the Waterbury/Stowe line, you could see that there were slight accumulations of white on some surfaces.

Right down in the center of Stowe Village (720’) there wasn’t any sort of accumulation, but one didn’t have to head far up the Mountain Road, probably about a mile or so, and you started to see areas of white again.  That was only at elevations of perhaps 750’-800’.  The snow accumulation continued to increase right up to the resort as usual, where everything was white and there was about an inch on the ground around the 1,500’ level.  There was a ton of hustle and bustle at the resort, since they’re preparing to open tomorrow.

I was also up at Bolton Valley later in the morning.  I’d say the snow line was a bit higher there (whether due to it being later in the morning or simply their western aspect), with the first traces of white appearing at around 1,000’ on the Bolton Valley Access Road.  In the Bolton Valley Village at ~2,100’ the snow depth is 1 to 2 inches.

16NOV17A.jpg

Temperatures gradually warmed to around 40 F or so at the house in the afternoon, and I’m sure the snow levels headed higher, but once darkness came, the temperatures quickly dove back down into the 30s F.

It’s a bit ironic, but from what I saw, this morning’s wet snow was what actually melted out the final remnants of last week’s snow on the ground.  If that had somehow held on to start the winter snowpack, it would have been quite a feat, besting 2008-2009 (November 18th) by 8 days.  It’s got to be really tough to start the snowpack that early down here in the lower valleys though.

In any event, there’s the chance for some additional snow tonight as the cold front passes through the area.

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was out and about today in our part of the Northern Greens, so I can pass along some weather observations from the area.  The early morning snowfall that we’d seen at the house hung around at varying levels of light intensity, but similar to what I’d seen earlier, it never really accumulated beyond a slushy coating of flakes since the temperatures were a bit above freezing.  The snow situation was the same though much of Waterbury at similar elevations, but up near 1,000’ at the top of the Shutesville Hill area along the Waterbury/Stowe line, you could see that there were slight accumulations of white on some surfaces.

Right down in the center of Stowe Village (720’) there wasn’t any sort of accumulation, but one didn’t have to head far up the Mountain Road, probably about a mile or so, and you started to see areas of white again.  That was only at elevations of perhaps 750’-800’.  The snow accumulation continued to increase right up to the resort as usual, where everything was white and there was about an inch on the ground around the 1,500’ level.  There was a ton of hustle and bustle at the resort, since they’re preparing to open tomorrow.

I was also up at Bolton Valley later in the morning.  I’d say the snow line was a bit higher there (whether due to it being later in the morning or simply their western aspect), with the first traces of white appearing at around 1,000’ on the Bolton Valley Access Road.  In the Bolton Valley Village at ~2,100’ the snow depth is 1 to 2 inches.

Yeah it was very close to where I am.  Leaving home I had a white coating on the mulch beds and car windshields...but a mile up the road I started seeing a fresh coating in the fields and then passing Topnotch and the Matterhorn, it really started to increase.  Funny as I was seeing cars drive by my place this morning all plastered in white so I knew it had to be close. 

I had 0.5" at Barnes Camp 1,500ft.  There was still a decent coating of snow from the arctic front last Thursday.  Amazing how long that 2" has lasted at that elevation, ha.

Opening day is tomorrow...tons of activity and preparation.  Leaving this evening I grabbed a shot of the groomers doing their thing.  So nice to see those lights on the hill.  I can even see them from home up high right now.  The sure sign of ski season is seeing the twinkling lights of grooming machines at night.

6oyZR9J.jpg

Speaking of microclimates... really strange experience tonight. Left the house to go to the gym at the Mt Washington hotel, literally a mile and a half away, same elevation. My driveway was a sheet of ice. No ice there, but didn't make much of it - I assume they treated. I got out and it was drizzling. I drove home and it was not drizzling there, but the ice was even worse - like a brief bout of freezing rain mixed with sleet (the sleet was caked in, looked a bit like sandpaper). Strange difference for a mile or so and no elevation change. 

Hard to tell if the upslope kicked on or not. Radar shows some development along the western slopes with some spillover to the eastern side but it isn't a classic look by any means. Sugarbush cam shows about 1-2" inches overnight but that's a little south of where the better dynamics were modeled....

2 hours ago, adk said:

Hard to tell if the upslope kicked on or not. Radar shows some development along the western slopes with some spillover to the eastern side but it isn't a classic look by any means. Sugarbush cam shows about 1-2" inches overnight but that's a little south of where the better dynamics were modeled....

2" of the densest snow possible at the base area... this stuff is like sand.

No upslope fluff here...like walking on a beach.  The plow piles are substantial for a couple inches of snow.

Nov_17.jpg.004cde9a540f35551c8b9f1d4f38980c.jpg

Archived