NNE Fall Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Whiteface snow...

Sugarloaf with snow this weekend too...

I'm not surprised it snowed (I did have it in the forecast for the summits when I left work Thursday). It did get sneaky low in elevation though.

Looks like our sounding had a really dry layer that peaked around 2000 feet. So it kept the wet bulb temp 1C or colder down to about 3000 feet. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the snow level on MWN is around 3500ft. It's 30F at 4kft and 39F at 3300'...quite a difference in 700ft.

We will get a good idea from Alex's cam if the clouds break up later.  For those of you that have lost the link here it is   http://1800cam.ddns.net:8155/stream.jpg

I'm going to start posting back to this thread now that winter is approaching.   Well, should be approaching...

I flew the drone one year ago today in the  afternoon and I'm going to do the same route for foliage comparison.  Need this wind to calm down a bit.  Was also mostly sunny last Oct 16th so hopefully, the low clouds will thin so can compare sun to sun...  Also flew the drone last Oct 18th which I deemed "peak day" so can do the same on Wednesday.  Foliage did really bump up yesterday but then lots of wind strip too..

Wonder if we are going to have an active brush/forest fire season?  Other than the rain from Nate almost nothing in 5 weeks.  With many leaves falling over the next few days it increases red flag conditions if we get a strong wind event before a general rainfall..

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm going to start posting back to this thread now that winter is approaching.   Well, should be approaching...

I flew the drone one year ago today in the  afternoon and I'm going to do the same route for foliage comparison.  Need this wind to calm down a bit.  Was also mostly sunny last Oct 16th so hopefully, the low clouds will thin so can compare sun to sun...  Also flew the drone last Oct 18th which I deemed "peak day" so can do the same on Wednesday.  Foliage did really bump up yesterday but then lots of wind strip too..

Wonder if we are going to have an active brush/forest fire season?  Other than the rain from Nate almost nothing in 5 weeks.  With many leaves falling over the next few days it increases red flag conditions if we get a strong wind event before a general rainfall..

Did you hear if they determined what caused the recent Kinsman Notch fire?

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

My north side hill can't dry out this time of year. You must dry out a lot faster on a southern slope. I just planted a few trees and perennials and the ground is very moist. Had an additional 0.07" last night to keep the sfc wet.

Eeked out .38" last night, like Freak said I think in the other thread, seemed like some orographics helped maybe. 

Winds were ripping, actually lost power for a few hours in the middle of the night.

Been spending a lot of time in Seattle the past month for work, love going there, great city and such a beautiful landscape......when there not socked in with clouds and 50F-55F like it was most of last week when I was there :)

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Thread bump. 

Oh it has been a while my friend.  Good to see you again.

ysRcfIx.jpg

I was up on the summit at sunset yesterday in shorts at 60F and a warm south breeze... now down into the upper 20s and spitting snow this morning.

October_16b.jpg.19764af3c047798a5ef65655eae33a22.jpg

Ahh, it’s funny, I came to the thread to comment that, while heading to a class today here on the UVM campus, it absolutely felt like one of those days where it could easily be snowing along the spine.  Well, there you go, and down as low as 2,700’.  Tis the season.

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Ahh, it’s funny, I came to the thread to comment that, while heading to a class today here on the UVM campus, it absolutely felt like one of those days where it could easily be snowing along the spine.  Well, there you go, and down as low as 2,700’.  Tis the season.

Here are a few pics from up above 2,700ft... hiking trail is the Hazelton.  Snow started on the trees around the Cliff Trail/Nosedive intersection.

Snow was falling pretty lightly and the ground seems very warm from this torch of a month so most accumulations were off the ground...except on Upper Nosedive there was a dusting of snow of a few tenths of an inch covering the ski trail up in the Nosedive turns.

22496075_10103198084165560_1113585565985

22528613_10103198086256370_8602165414549

22496055_10154844672867382_4853197774935

PF, nice to see the pup.

Tonight might end my growing season.  Gardens are beautiful right now.  Actually, a fairly wide-ranging area around me has escaped frost so far.  Newfound Lake is 62F.  The other night, while most other areas of Grafton Co. had a killing frost Newfound, produced a wide area of low clouds over and around the lake.  So in my travels, I don't see that anyone's gardens have been hit by frost yet.  Tonight should do it...

41/34  at 630pm

10 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

This years colors not as nice as last nor 2015. I was up this past weekend and the previous and colors were better Columbus day weekend. Hiking Welch Dickey on Saturday, colors were past peak above say 2000', but still some nice color in the valleys. 

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Here are a few pics from up above 2,700ft... hiking trail is the Hazelton.  Snow started on the trees around the Cliff Trail/Nosedive intersection.

Snow was falling pretty lightly and the ground seems very warm from this torch of a month so most accumulations were off the ground...except on Upper Nosedive there was a dusting of snow of a few tenths of an inch covering the ski trail up in the Nosedive turns.

Wow, I’ve been busy so I only just now saw the posts at the beginning of this thread about the September snow.  So this was actually at least the second snowfall of the season.  It’s kind of funny to think that we actually had that September snow, and now this October snow in what is sort of warm pattern, but these things happen I guess.  Anyway, it’s been fun checking out the snow on the Mansfield summit this morning.  All I took was a simple cell phone image so it’s pretty small, but the white has been hanging out in the 3,500’-4,000’ range on up.

17OCT17A.jpg

16 hours ago, MarkO said:

This years colors not as nice as last nor 2015. I was up this past weekend and the previous and colors were better Columbus day weekend. Hiking Welch Dickey on Saturday, colors were past peak above say 2000', but still some nice color in the valleys. 

Is Welch Dickey nice? Our place is 20 mins away from there...thought about doing a December hike there. Does it get icy early in the season? 

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Is Welch Dickey nice? Our place is 20 mins away from there...thought about doing a December hike there. Does it get icy early in the season? 

Great hike, although I've never hiked it in winter. Considering there are times you will need/use your hands, and exposed steep rock slopes, I'd say it's not recommended during icy conditions.

First frost last night.  Colors improving but not nearly like last year.  Great visibility right now.  Waiting for a couple of minutes after sunset and going to fly the drone.  I should be able to see the Green Mountain spine to the west.  Just after the disk of the sun goes down the ridgelines are most visible.  

View from my webcam right now.  Looks like you can reach out and touch those mountains!

Oct 17 2017.jpg

Always great to see white mixing with the oranges and yellows. 

I agree- colors are very muted this year. Then again, when it's in the mid 70s in the middle of October and super dry, that is going to happen. 

The 10/25-10/30 time period is looking interesting. Some blocking appears likely and an intrusion of seasonal cold air comes with it. Maybe upper trough hooks up with impulses and gives us a classic Halloween storm with upper elevation snows? Seems possible.....

4 hours ago, adk said:

Always great to see white mixing with the oranges and yellows. 

I agree- colors are very muted this year. Then again, when it's in the mid 70s in the middle of October and super dry, that is going to happen. 

The 10/25-10/30 time period is looking interesting. Some blocking appears likely and an intrusion of seasonal cold air comes with it. Maybe upper trough hooks up with impulses and gives us a classic Halloween storm with upper elevation snows? Seems possible.....

Yeah, I love those October storms and ski outings – they’re such a great way to kick off the season, and they can really sneak up on you sometimes because there’s always at least a little wonder as to how the snow levels and accumulations will play out.  They’re also really ephemeral – it can be quite tough to even get a second day of great snow because of the temperature volatility this time of year.  Of course that fleeting nature of the snow and descending your way right back into autumn is part of what makes the experience special.

Checking my archives from the past few seasons, it looks like we’re generally catching one of these decent October events at least every other year (depending on one’s snow depth threshold for making turns).

Last year the October 28th timeframe was our Halloween-ish storm.  I went for a Bolton Valley outing, and I can see from my report that it looks like accumulations were topping out around 20 inches at the local resorts.

28OCT16D.jpg

28OCT16F.jpg

28OCT16I.jpg

Another fun one in recent years that always comes up at our house was October 26th, 2013.  I guess it was a weekend day because I was able to go up with my older son, and the memories are vivid of having the Halloween music playing on the cable radio holiday station as we prepped all the gear.  That was another decent dump with over a foot up high on Mansfield:

26OCT13G.jpg

The fleeting nature of the powder was definitely there for that event though – the whole family was able to head up for turns the next day, but Ty and I had to continually lament to E and Dylan with the old “should have been here yesterday” story because the powder was nothing like when it was fresh.  There were still some nice turns to be had up high though:

27OCT13A.jpg

Whatever happens this October, the footsteps of the impending season are definitely getting louder at this point.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I haven’t read a cause but it flared up again. 

back when it first started I read that they thought it was caused by a meteorite, as someone allegedly saw one in the immediate area just before the fire was reported. 

The fire’s cause — not believed to be suspicious — attracted attention after MacKay reported that a Bath resident driving on Route 112 through Kinsman Notch near Lost River Gorge on Monday evening told him that he saw what he believed was a meteor or comet.

13 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

back when it first started I read that they thought it was caused by a meteorite, as someone allegedly saw one in the immediate area just before the fire was reported. 

Yea, I read that too which is what prompted my original question wondering if they confirmed that one way or the other. I’m guessing we’ll never know for sure. 

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yea, I read that too which is what prompted my original question wondering if they confirmed that one way or the other. I’m guessing we’ll never know for sure. 

When the fire first started someone reported that they saw a fireball hit the mountain.  There has been lots of reporting on this.  Basically impossible scenario.  Concord Monitor did a whole story and said no meteorite.   I spent time researching the possibility myself.  Couldn't find anytime a meteorite started a forest fire.  Would have to have been a very big fireball.  No one but this one guy saw anything and no sonic boom etc. etc.   By the way a 1 pound meteorite can be worth up to a million dollars.  Go get em boys!

Archived