Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

WAR pattern continues to hold on while the coldest departures remain to our south and west. The SST's continue to run much above normal with mid 60's at the beach today instead of the usual upper 50's for this time of year. 

eps_t2m_5d_anom_noram_120.thumb.png.01126a9025e595ad4f24cddf8c412a63.png

eps_t2m_5d_anom_noram_240.thumb.png.b9ca327560ae447dd44426e0789debfd.png

The super warm SSTs along and off the east coast are causing a positive feedback loop, which is sustaining the very persistent WAR. It has been a staple ever since the beginning of September and shows no signs of letting up in the foreseeable future...

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The super warm SSTs along and off the east coast are causing a positive feedback loop, which is sustaining the very persistent WAR/SE ridge. It has been a staple ever since the beginning of September and shows no signs of letting up in the foreseeable future...

Classic Niña look too, no?  Even if we get some appreciable Atlantic blocking this year, I'm increasingly becoming concerned that we are going to need some significant PAC PNA/EPO to pare back the SE ridge.  The fact that our Niña seems east-based and relatively weak offers some hope though. Next few weeks will be telling, in my (amateur) opinion.

6 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Classic Niña look too, no?  Even if we get some appreciable Atlantic blocking this year, I'm increasingly becoming concerned that we are going to need some significant PAC PNA/EPO to pare back the SE ridge.  The fact that our Niña seems east-based and relatively weak offers some hope though. Next few weeks will be telling, in my (amateur) opinion.

The SE ridge is very common to La Nina’s, yes. As of right now, the Niña is not very weak. Region 3.4 has dropped like a rock to below -1.0C. That aside, we are seeing pure, classic La Niña tropical convective forcing with this event. Last year’s Niña had a mix of both Niño and Niña forcing at times. As far as getting a persistent, predominant +PNA circulation this winter with a healthy La Niña in place, that would be extremely unlikely 

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

WAR pattern continues to hold on while the coldest departures remain to our south and west. The SST's continue to run much above normal with mid 60's at the beach today instead of the usual upper 50's for this time of year. 

eps_t2m_5d_anom_noram_120.thumb.png.01126a9025e595ad4f24cddf8c412a63.png

eps_t2m_5d_anom_noram_240.thumb.png.b9ca327560ae447dd44426e0789debfd.png

17 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The super warm SSTs along and off the east coast are causing a positive feedback loop, which is sustaining the very persistent WAR. It has been a staple ever since the beginning of September and shows no signs of letting up in the foreseeable future...

7 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

I am wondering if the WAR was what Larry Cosgrove meant when he said in his newsletter last night that more cold could be centered over the Great lakes versus the Eastern Seaboard and why cold and snow lovers could be somewhat disappointed again this winter but it will still be less "non-wintry" then the last couple of winters. Still a bit early to know for sure what impact the WAR could have on our winter, right now I am more concerned on it becoming more active storm wise which it looks like is in the process of happening.

10 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I am wondering if the WAR was what Larry Cosgrove meant when he said in his newsletter last night that more cold could be centered over the Great lakes versus the Eastern Seaboard and why cold and snow lovers could be somewhat disappointed again this winter but it will still be less "non-wintry" then the last couple of winters. Still a bit early to know for sure what impact the WAR could have on our winter, right now I am more concerned on it becoming more active storm wise which it looks like is in the process of happening.

I didn’t read Larry’s newsletter yet but from what you describe, yes, that would be my guess (WAR) as to what he was talking about, also possibly the La Niña and dropping PDO as well. A strong WAR would argue for more lakes cutters and inland/inside runners and the cold being centered west of the Appalachians, over the Great Lakes/Midwest/northern Plains/northern Rockies

54 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It's a very impressive stripe of near record SST's for this time of year right across the Atlantic to Spain. Ophelia took advantage of these SST's and really pounded Ireland.

neatl_oisst_anom_current.thumb.png.ea6a7219d34e0f8f7e07ada5e9ee72c2.png 

With today's 76°-57° split and the latest MOS guidance, the implied probability that October 2017 will become the warmest October on record has increased to about 2-in-3. The implied probability that October 2017 will become the first October to register a monthly mean temperature of 64° or above has increased to about 3-in-5. On account of the warm sunshine, large amounts of Monarchs were continuing to migrate southward across the New York area.

Mamaroneck10222017-16b.jpg

The latest EPS weeklies feature an Alaskan ridge and flat Western Atlantic and SE ridge pattern for early November. Colder than normal temperatures for the Rockies to the Great Lakes and a narrow stripe of above normal temps along the East Coast.

eps_z500_anom_noram_276.thumb.png.4febf38a5575cdd1875cbdb7e170d63e.png

eps_t2m_anom_noram_276.thumb.png.33f32021066e1be3f9169f15a8d55cde.png

Archived