Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

A torch Oct-Nov is a guaranteed warm winter so I don't understand any calls of cold, snowy winter. 

Of greater concern would be a very warm October and then a relatively snow-free December. Some data for New York City for the cases where October had a monthly average temperature of 60° or above (keeping in mind sample size limitations):

Oct2017-SeasonalSnowfall.jpg

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the exception of 10-11 and 02-03, the quality of the snowstorms has been better during the warmer winters of 05-06, 12-13, 15-16, and 16-17. The only problem for our area is when a warm winter features a raging +EPO like 01-02, 06-07, 07-08, and 11-12.

Feb 06 second greatest snowstorm in NYC

Feb 13 one of the greatest snowstorms Suffolk and CT

Jan 16 greatest NYC snowstorm

Mar 17 greatest BGM snowstorm 24hrs

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

With the exception of 10-11, the quality of the snowstorms have been better during the warmer winters of 05-06, 12-13, 15-16, 16-17.

Feb 06 second greatest snowstorm in NYC

Feb 13 one of the greatest snowstorms Suffolk and CT

Jan 16 greatest NYC snowstorm

Mar 17 greatest BGM snowstorm

Sooner or later the warmth will be too much to overcome and borderline snow events events will be rainstorms. 

I think our prosperous snow feast will end this year, I see something like a 07-08 setup for the area.

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Sooner or later the warmth will be too much to overcome and borderline snow events events will be rainstorms. 

I think our prosperous snow feast will end this year, I see something like a 07-08 setup for the area.

too early to say that-depends on the Nina strength and blocking....

22 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

too early to say that-depends on the Nina strength and blocking....

Chances are good that we'll set some sort of noteworthy record this winter. We have a shot at our 3rd warm winter in a row making for a new 3 winter warmth record. There is also the chance we can have another near to above normal snowfall season making for the best 6 year run in over a century.  If snowfall is below normal, it will only be the 5th time since 00-01. If cold and snowy somehow we also extend the streak to 6 years.

20 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

12z Euro back to having the best rains well N and W of the city.   Still gives us all an inch or so, but a far cry from the wetter 0z run

It will come down to the strength of the WAR. Too strong and best rains will end up north and west. We may not get another opportunity for tropical rains like this anytime soon with such a dominant WAR pattern in place since mid-September. So we really need to maximize this event here or the dry conditions will expand.

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will come down to the strength of the WAR. Too strong and best rains will end up north and west. We may not get another opportunity for tropical rains like this anytime soon with such a dominant WAR pattern in place since mid-September. So we really need to maximize this event here or the dry conditions will expand.

Your area is much drier and not representative of much of Suffolk County. We had a very wet September, with 4.48", and much of suffolk did well with Jose and got slammed last weekend. Everything by me is green and lush. 

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Your area is much drier and not representative of much of Suffolk County. We had a very wet September, with 4.48", and much of suffolk did well with Jose and got slammed last weekend. Everything by me is green and lush. 

amazing what a few miles makes--we've had no rain of significance since 9/6.   A couple of .05's or even .20's here and there, but not enough to do more than settle the dust.  Lawn has not been mowed in 2 weeks.

21 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My area here on the South Shore has been very dry similar to the Wantagh station. I also missed out on most of the rains during the August 18th flash flood event which was a north of the Southern State special. It's been a very dry pattern here this extended summer season.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

October wasn't a torch that year

Yeah, but I think colder lows contributed to that.  I had mornings in the 40's and even 30's, but it would warm up by the afternoon.  I also remember easily getting into the 70's towards the end of the month.  As we've seen recently, warm overnight lows are helping to bump up the departures.  

8 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah, but I think colder lows contributed to that.  I had mornings in the 40's and even 30's, but it would warm up by the afternoon.  I also remember easily getting into the 70's towards the end of the month.  As we've seen recently, warm overnight lows are helping to bump up the departures.  

Yeah it warmed up late, but only one 80 degree day for the month

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

You’ve been very lucky. The areas of Suffolk I frequent all look pretty toasted for the most part. The grassy median along Nicolls Road is virtually all brown from Sunrise Highway north to NY-347. Areas around the Northern State Parkway don’t look bad though.

There will be no trees along the Southern State Parkway at this rate. In some sections the “forest” has thinned out significantly between the recurring droughts and Sandy, Irene, and the March 2010 Nor’easter. They may as well replace the dead and dying trees with pitch pines and shortleaf pines which are both native species and are far more drought tolerant than the species currently present.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

..true..last saturday i got 1.5" of rain...the rain/hail fest lasted almost an hour..

7 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

My worst nightmare. We can't keep slowly crawl upward in averages without at some point in the future having our barely snow events turn into cold rain. 

At some point the cold when it does come will just not be enough for us. I hope that day is far into the future but who knows. 

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

You’ve been very lucky. The areas of Suffolk I frequent all look pretty toasted for the most part. The grassy median along Nicolls Road is virtually all brown from Sunrise Highway north to NY-347. Areas around the Northern State Parkway don’t look bad though.

There will be no trees along the Southern State Parkway at this rate. In some sections the “forest” has thinned out significantly between the recurring droughts and Sandy, Irene, and the March 2010 Nor’easter. They may as well replace the dead and dying trees with pitch pines and shortleaf pines which are both native species and are far more drought tolerant than the species currently present.

Exactly what I have been thinking. Historically there was a strip of pitch pine forest that extended along the south shore all the way to Brooklyn. Out east it's mostly due to soil composition but this strip has more to do with precipitation. It's been just brutally dry here. And it's nice to have the new Wantagh station to officially prove it.

24 minutes ago, Sundog said:

My worst nightmare. We can't keep slowly crawl upward in averages without at some point in the future having our barely snow events turn into cold rain. 

At some point the cold when it does come will just not be enough for us. I hope that day is far into the future but who knows. 

I think around DC is reaching that threshold.

Next 8 days still averaging 70degs., or +11degs.

Low temp. is averaging 64degs. on its own.

Nothing looks normal till the 18th. or later.  The next 45-days look forfeited to the heat gods too.

When we get to +7degs. for the month, we will be moving toward the warmest Oct. ever.

Archived