Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

23 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

If I go out before ~11am it's sweats over shorts maybe with a light jacket or something then strip the layers in the afternoon and put them back on as the sun drops. When it's this dry the air heats and cools quickly.

Speaking of dry - It's getting desperate in the forests around here. Crunchy and dusty :o  Surprisingly most of the reservoirs are bank full though.

It depends on what I'm doing, if I'm just sitting outside then sure.  If I'm moving or doing yard work I still don't have a need for sweats.  As for the dryness, I mentioned yesterday in the NW thread that I am hard pressed to find a drier 4 week period than the current one in the records for IMBY. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Can't remember the year, but maybe October 2014?   Had .25 inch of rain for the whole month...this is right up there.   Lots of dry autumns the last 5 years

I measured 3.19" that month, that was some cutoff between us.  

Edit: Oct 2013 I measured 1.29", maybe that is the month you are thinking of.  

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I measured 3.19" that month, that was some cutoff between us.  

Edit: Oct 2013 I measured 1.29", maybe that is the month you are thinking of.  

Most likely.   I was not sure of the exact year, but it could have been 2013.   From 9/6/17 to today, 10/4/17, we've had about .25 here for that 30 day stretch coupled with the hot/dry/low humidity air, it's looking pretty bad around here.  No relief in sight...

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Most likely.   I was not sure of the exact year, but it could have been 2013.   From 9/6/17 to today, 10/4/17, we've had about .25 here for that 30 day stretch coupled with the hot/dry/low humidity air, it's looking pretty bad around here.  No relief in sight...

Yeah, this stretch has been drier that that stretch in 2013, albeit by a few hundredths. 

I imagine that we're in line for a robust fall brush fire season.  Lots of rain earlier in the summer, then a very dry late summer / early fall.  Once we get some days with brisk NW winds, we could end up with a frisk day in the Meadowlands or out on the Island.

Next 8 days averaging an astounding 72degs., or +10 to +11 degrees.  This is normal for the first days of September.

By mid-Oct., when a return to normal or less should  occur, the 850mb. temperature should be somewhat below its norm of +7C for that period.

48 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging an astounding 72degs., or +10 to +11 degrees.  This is normal for the first days of September.

By mid-Oct., when a return to normal or less should  occur, the 850mb. temperature should be somewhat below its norm of +7C for that period.

This month will be a complete furnace, it could rival Dec 2015 in extremes. I wouldn't be shocked to see spots put up a +9 or better this month. I also expect another 90+ reading. 

We're in a good spot to receive the remnants of Nate late Sunday into early next week as the circulation merges with a frontal boundary moving through the lakes. PWAT's approach 2.50" as abundant tropical moisture surges Northeastward. I like a widespread 2-3" with locally higher amounts, especially over the higher terrain.

This is why all the braying about the dry spell is stupid.  This year has been an extreme example to be sure, but early fall in the NE is almost always about long periods of dry (or dryish) weather punctuated by brief events with a tropical connection.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

Newark getting closer to the record for the most 80 degree days after 9/15 last tied in 2007.

59d61ce602150_Screenshot2017-10-05at7_46_07AM.png.094a291488c908fd4fc1dd5f751652fe.png

2017 is in some good company on that list...2017 could be numbero uno when all is said and done...it's been dry and warm lately but that's not unusual for this time of year...in 1922 it was very dry and the temp reached 89 on 10/5...

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/60008290/$1900

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/60008309

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1922-10-06/ed-1/seq-9/

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1922-10-06/ed-1/seq-24/

44 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

This is why all the braying about the dry spell is stupid.  This year has been an extreme example to be sure, but early fall in the NE is almost always about long periods of dry (or dryish) weather punctuated by brief events with a tropical connection.

2013-2017 was one of the driest 5 year September streaks we had around the area.

Archived