• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Late Season Heat Possible Again 10/2 ---?

Hoosier

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, not as impressive/uninterrupted as it once looked.

Wednesday could have sneaky warm potential in northern IL if the front slows down a bit... even by 6 hours.  It should be a pretty warm start on Wednesday morning with winds staying up a bit overnight Tuesday.   Although it's a second rate model, the 12z GGEM has a significantly slower frontal passage and suggests a very warm Wednesday around Chicago.

After looking a bit more, I think there's a good chance Chicago stays AOA 70 on Tuesday night.   Given the setup with winds likely staying elevated, MOS looks too cool and so does the 2m output (especially since they are underdoing the warmth on Tuesday) and even that stuff is suggesting upper 60s for lows.

Surface moisture looks a little more robust than what was modeled several days ago.  90+ looks a bit questionable with a few degrees cooler temps aloft.  88 at MLI on Mon/Tue looks pretty good to me.  I won't be shocked if 90 is made, but I'm not expecting it.  Either way another impressive wave of warmth heading in.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Surface moisture looks a little more robust than what was modeled several days ago.  90+ looks a bit questionable with a few degrees cooler temps aloft.  88 at MLI on Mon/Tue looks pretty good to me.  I won't be shocked if 90 is made, but I'm not expecting it.  Either way another impressive wave of warmth heading in.

I thought my MLI call was perhaps a little aggressive, but nice to see some backup lol. It is above practically all model output, but the guidance (whether statistical products or the raw output) always seems to underestimate these highly anomalous setups and what they can produce.  Will have to watch if clouds are a bit more extensive than thought, but I'd be surprised if MLI came in below 85 tomorrow.

I think upper 80s are becoming less likely now in the LOT CWA with respect to guidance trends over the past few days. Understand having to account for the very dry conditions but 925 mb temps have trended slightly cooler. ECMWF had been warmer on Tuesday but it came down to around 20 Celsius on 12z run today, with NAM and GFS around 18-19C. Also, models are suggesting broken cloud cover is possible on Tuesday. I'm wondering if that is overdone but nonetheless, with the slightly cooler thermal profiles, thinking mid 80s peak in LOT CWA now. Definitely not ruling out upper 80s considering how the heat wave went though. Will be interesting to see how tomorrow performs with a cooler start but lower dewpoints, similar 925 mb temps progged vs Tuesday though slightly cooler at 850 than progged for Tuesday.

I wish it were easier to find records for 500 mb heights by month.  The expanse of this 594 dm ridge is pretty impressive and can't recall a similar one off the top of my head (in October).

The SPC sounding climatology page helps give a sense of it with the max 500 mb heights by RAOB site. Clicked onto ILX and it had an October max of mid 590s registered in mid October. I don't think there's a way to check the date that occurred on though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The SPC sounding climatology page helps give a sense of it with the max 500 mb heights by RAOB site. Clicked onto ILX and it had an October max of mid 590s registered in mid October. I don't think there's a way to check the date that occurred on though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I found it.  I clicked on ILX and discovered the record October height is 594 dm on 00z October 13.   Going through the upper air archives for each year on that date, it was 00z October 13, 2008.  

ILN and DTX also had similar heights then. There have been some October ridges of 590 dm or a little higher in these areas, but based on the RAOB archives going back several decades, it might be fair to say that the only other October ridge of 594+ this far north in the Midwest/Lakes is the one from 2008.

101300.thumb.png.daebcaa3f8dc6978319532738d1c6628.png

101312.thumb.png.f483f02596f32669b8a4f254f3aa13ba.png

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I found it.  I clicked on ILX and discovered the record October height is 594 dm on 00z October 13.   Going through the upper air archives for each year on that date, it was 00z October 13, 2008.  

ILN and DTX also had similar heights then. There have been some October ridges of 590 dm or a little higher in these areas, but based on the RAOB archives going back several decades, it might be fair to say that the only other October ridge of 594+ this far north in the Midwest/Lakes is the one from 2008.

101300.thumb.png.daebcaa3f8dc6978319532738d1c6628.png

101312.thumb.png.f483f02596f32669b8a4f254f3aa13ba.png

Looks like it hit 84 at ORD that day, and 83 at MLI.  85 at SPI.

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

RAP/HRRR look like a high near 80 for ORD tomorrow.

There looks like some kind of weird shallow mixing/cloud issue on there through the morning hours.   Wondering if that actually occurs.

Would of course impact highs to some degree.

On 9/30/2017 at 8:58 PM, Hoosier said:

I'll go 84 at ORD on Monday.  I think areas out in far western IL could approach 90 on Monday.  So, I will guess 88 at MLI.

I think I'm going to bust at MLI.  Temps really struggling there...going to take a big rally.  I do think ORD could still get to 83-84.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Impressive 9 degree rise at MLI from noon to 2 pm.  My original call there might not be that big of a bust after all lol

Yeah not too bad considering more clouds than expected.  Made it to 85 here and 86 at MLI.  

Heard some cicadas earlier.  Can't remember hearing them in October before.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Topped out at 83 at ORD and MDW today.

Might end up being the warmest day of the period, with increased cloud and precip chances in the area tomorrow...and then the front passes tomorrow night/Wednesday morning.

I have a hard time seeing tomorrow come in cooler, though clouds do add some uncertainty on max temps.

Here's an interesting question.  Will it be a midnight high or daytime high on Wednesday?

I have a hard time seeing tomorrow come in cooler, though clouds do add some uncertainty on max temps.

Here's an interesting question.  Will it be a midnight high or daytime high on Wednesday?

I'm thinking the same or cooler for tomorrow, unless things significantly change.

As for Wednesday, probably depends on precip chances. But I can see a midnight high in the 70's. Maybe another post front peak in the afternoon.

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

HRRR/RAP showing widespread clouds and precip, with temps holding in the 70's tomorrow.

It will be hard to pull that off with many areas likely starting in the mid/upper 60s. Not impossible but even minimal sun should allow for 80+ 

The 5940 m height contour at 500mb is likely to happen in N Indiana, N Ohio, N Pennsylvania in 36 hours. Note that the average 500mb height for this area in mid-July is 5850 m, and 5820 m in Pennsylvania. So, 5940 m is not just a bit of an upper level ridge, but it is 90 m above normal for the hot days of summer. Along with that, the 850mb temperatures might be about 14-15 C in the evening and nighttime tomorrow, which may be near normal for mid-July.

The average 500mb height for October 3rd is 5730 m, so 5940 m would be 210 m above average.

Archived