• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Powerball

2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

On 2/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Why is it so difficult to get sunny days in the midwest ? It seems nearly impossible to get a cloud free day in the winter. I think even the east coast gets more sunshine. Is the midwest the cloudiest region in the country outside of the pacific northwest?

And now you understand part of the reason why I moved down to your old neck of the woods in Metro Atlanta. :lol:

But that said, it's been Detroit / Seattle-like cloudy since Friday (2/9/18) around here (If you combine a few hours of 3 days, we've had maybe 9 hours of total sunshine since then) despite temps well into the 70s and near 80*F and that doesn't look to change until at least Thursday. I'm NOT a happy camper about it either. 

3 hours ago, blackrock said:

Traverse City can see big-time thaws with southerly winds, which cause downsloping off of the higher elevations to the south. If there is a strong surge of warmth moving into Michigan, TVC can often be the warmest spot in all of Michigan. I am learning you really want to be at a higher elevation in the lake effect snow belts to experience a great winter.

Yep. Traverse City area is beautiful - we have a friend who moved there a few years ago, and loves it. 

14 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep. Traverse City area is beautiful - we have a friend who moved there a few years ago, and loves it. 

It is indeed a beautiful area. I could never live there though. Way too overcrowded and congested with tourists from Chicago and Detroit....like your friend. lol

I'll take more snow if it comes, but really don't see much potential anytime soon.  Next week's potential looks like a thread the needle type event, so good chance that misses any one location.  I'm ready to move on to Spring.  Kind of jealous of all the thunderstorm activity south and east of this area.  Haven't heard thunder since sometime back in October or September.  It's done a good job avoiding this area the last 5 months.

46 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'll take more snow if it comes, but really don't see much potential anytime soon.  Next week's potential looks like a thread the needle type event, so good chance that misses any one location.  I'm ready to move on to Spring.  Kind of jealous of all the thunderstorm activity south and east of this area.  Haven't heard thunder since sometime back in October or September.  It's done a good job avoiding this area the last 5 months.

Re: thunder.... really?  I received three thundershowers from this last system.

What a surprise, the GFS trends warmer and wetter for that early March storm as the SE Ridge keeps pumping warmth in the east. That's what? The 5th fooking rainstorm in a row? Unbelievable! What a terrible end to a lackluster winter. 

Bring on Spring! 

20 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Heard some in Sydney Australia a few weeks back... It was also 104 degrees, so it gave me my "Summertime pulse storm" fix. 

Like others have said, we very well may see another cold shot, but it looks like the slow inevitable climb towards warmer temps has begun. 

I think the winter forecasts on this part of the board were pretty damn good overall. Up and down winter powered by waves in EPO blocking and then relaxation. The east coast establishment's fantasy of a big -nao was delusional based on how the fall pattern developed. Others showing a 13-14 winter were delusional as well.

The snow was stingy at times and areas in the lower lakes/northern OV will probably be heading toward below average by March 1st. That was sorta predicted as well(though, I thought it would be further north, ugh)...........always hope for a March bailout you really don't want.

But the board deserves a A+ for forecast. Great job.