Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If winter ended today, I would have zero issues with it and give it an A+. This winter has been active for the most parts and only had a couple of bumps where it was kind of meh. This past week though has been easily top 5 weeks all time here.

I'd go B+ here at this point.  The last week has certainly done a lot to raise the grade.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If you want to live in a nickel/dimer climate, Iowa is the place to be.  Over the last seven years we've had only one big snow event, the Feb 2015 Superbowl storm, which dropped 9.5" here.  All other storms have been 6.2" or less.  Beyond that, I've never measured a foot of snow from one storm in my entire life.  It just seems to be next to impossible to get a biggie here.

Brutal. I've stopped cursing my luck re: snow so much the last couple of years because it's become apparent how much worse you-Cycloneville corridor has it.

I'll give this winter a B/B+ so far. I would have given it an A but were still about 8-10" below normal where normality has been hard to come by in recent years. I still think we have our best chance of the season coming between February 18th and March 5th. The cold December which featured a snowy Christmas week followed by a fierce Arctic Outbreak to start January and another mid-month and more recently this past week in February, has made for a pretty decent winter. We have nickel and dime our way up to 35.5" so far which is pretty remarkable. 

Indianapolis' winter storm warning drought continues. If you see those maps others have brought up showing days of weather services last wsw yes you will see the last one issued was on Jan 12th but that was for our southern row of counties and that was a dud storm too. The metro area counties haven't seen one since March 1st 2015. In fact the last snow bigger than 4 inches around here was on that date if I can recall. Pure misery for winter lovers wanting decent to good snows. It seems like the I 70 corridor between St. Louis to Indy has been cursed since. And the I 44 corridor from St. Louis to Joplin as well. The nations biggest winter screw hole. Seems like forever since I've seen a heavy blanked of snow on the ground here. Chicago to Detroit folks are so lucky and they still complain while you all know who the real losers on the thread are. Yep, us folks in Central Illinois and Indiana. This will all balance out some point but man 3 bad winters in a row. Last winter sucked but at least it was warm and sunny for much of it so it was kind of nice. This year just cold and gray with light at best events

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If you want to live in a nickel/dimer climate, Iowa is the place to be.  Over the last seven years we've had only one big snow event, the Feb 2015 Superbowl storm, which dropped 9.5" here.  All other storms have been 6.2" or less.  Beyond that, I've never measured a foot of snow from one storm in my entire life.  It just seems to be next to impossible to get a biggie here.

feel your pain here in Central Indiana as well

C+ here. This last week plus the week in late December saves this from an F, since most of December and January didn’t show up. 

I’ve only measured a foot in the GHD I storm. Next biggest was GHD II which was 10, I think. Thing is, it seems it’s mostly our bad luck. N IL, WI, and MN all have plenty of 12” storms, but they all miss Iowa of course. It seems strengthening lows just don’t track from STL to ORD any more.

7 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

C+ here. This last week plus the week in late December saves this from an F, since most of December and January didn’t show up. 

I’ve only measured a foot in the GHD I storm. Next biggest was GHD II which was 10, I think. Thing is, it seems it’s mostly our bad luck. N IL, WI, and MN all have plenty of 12” storms, but they all miss Iowa of course. It seems strengthening lows just don’t track from STL to ORD any more.

You need the old Madison special that track right over ORD 

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Man that's crazy.  I can think of at least 7 I've seen since the mid 80s.

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Bring on the thunderstorms

Agree.  Of course I'll take more snow if it comes, but I can honestly say after this week, and the extreme cold in early Jan I'm pretty satisfied overall.  Haven't technically had a warning criteria event, but I'm okay with that.  Gonna take in all this deep snow cover while it lasts and enjoy it, but whatever happens next is fine by me.

4 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

MKE hasn't seen a 12"+ storm since GHD 1 I believe, so although our big snow record hasn't been as bad as many on this board, we haven't seen a true big storm in awhile.

8 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

That seems to be a tough area to get such a storm!

http://www.weather.gov/dvn/Climate_Data#Snow

Good luck! Hope you see one soon! That link suggests you are do...

On 2/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, buckeye said:

JB beginning to write is mea culpa regarding his call for big time cold settling in the rest of the month.

MJO now looks to get stuck in 7 with hints it may head back to 6.  The tour through 8 and 1 doesn't look to happen.   If we keep looping in 7, and head to 6...welcome to an early spring as the trough sets up much further west. 

I'm good with that....anything other than this drizzly/foggy low 30s.

Almost missed this..

Phase 7 is usually a decent one up this way.. 6 can be cutting it close but yeah typically more favorable to my west/nw.. 8-1 is usually better for those south of i80 especially across IN and Ohio and i-95 of course so no surprise what JB is doing..

1 hour ago, cmillzz said:

It would be nice to finally see a warm spring for once. I mean sheesh, last spring was repulsive and so were the ones before it. Why is it so hard to see a spring like 2012 again? 

Last spring was nowhere near as bad as it could've been.   It ain't gonna be nonstop 70s/80s/90s as soon as March hits.

Mar17TDeptUS.png.b115f521ee924eae646405d65fd01b90.png

Apr17TDeptUS.png.8b339f540c75f148b731d5b352598bcb.png

May17TDeptUS.png.6d43357bd0fde61b8b213d65f7b77cb5.png

MAM17TDeptUS.png.4d0010f73290206a5825ed823c7fc15d.png

On 1/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, Snowstorms said:

Fifty shades of January 2017 coming up in the next 1-2 weeks. :lol:

Even with what TWC is currently showing for the next couple of weeks, this February looks to be the next January 2017/December 2014 given the lack of sunshine so far this month. This February looks to be the cloudiest month for this Winter.

I think this is the end of "real" winter 2017/2018 in the southern great lakes region.  Once we get to this time of the year, snowstorms get tougher and tougher to get in the southern parts of this subforum. Now im not saying we cant see snowstorms because clearly we can, I mean were about to enter the period where it can be 60s and sunny, winter storm, and 60s and sunny right after. 

5 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

I think this is the end of "real" winter 2017/2018 in the southern great lakes region.  Once we get to this time of the year, snowstorms get tougher and tougher to get in the southern parts of this subforum. Now im not saying we cant see snowstorms because clearly we can, I mean were about to enter the period where it can be 60s and sunny, winter storm, and 60s and sunny right after. 

I'm not denying that we're past our climatological peak snow-storm period, but 60s is a bit extreme, at least as a usual occurrence. Replace it with 40s and I can sort of agree.

4 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I'm not denying that we're past our climatological peak snow-storm period, but 60s is a bit extreme, at least as a usual occurrence. Replace it with 40s and I can sort of agree.

Yep, you're correct. My fault.

I think March might be toughest month of the year to get a handle on. You can see 0F or colder and periods of heavy snow, or 68F and sunny occasionally. 

1 hour ago, KokomoWX said:

It’s all but over here in north central Indiana. Snow all but gone with just the largest parking lot piles still hanging on. Heavy rains in the forecast the next two weeks. No signs it will turn cold enough for any meaningful snow.

yup, dirty piles here as well.    Models want to dump 4-5" of rain on us over the next 10 days or so.    All that said, I suspect we haven't seen the 'end' of winter here.   CMH seems to like snow in March during dying LaNina's.    yippee:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, cmillzz said:

Can’t wait for yet another awful March this year. CFS looks absolutely brutal.

I’m not even asking for a Morch 2012 at this point, just some days in the 60s would be more than enough for me. Is that seriously too much to ask for???

lol, this is like if you're sitting in a movie theater saying this movie sucks when you're still just watching the previews.

Archived