Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I was ready for a shake up as well.  I'll take this rainy/warmer pattern over severe cold and clippers that constantly miss well to the northeast.  

Winter rain usually doesn't do much for me, unless you're talking really big amounts as I'm always down for extremes.  I know it's a necessary evil in this type of pattern but it will still kinda suck if that's all we get over the next week or two.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Complaining time

What I see for February is another dry, cold NW flow pattern. More NW flow isn't gonna work here, it hasn't worked all winter, and it won't work now. We are seriously on track for ANOTHER sub 20" season and it's infuriating. None of these patterns work for us. Being overly optimistic is pretty useless at this point, or at least it seems. It truly is a perfect balance of screwage. When we get SW flow any sort of blocking feature disappears and it becomes a hard cutter party and the dakotas and the northwoods get pounded while we have our dry slot drizzle and 995mb pressure(which isn't even good for a solid rain event, go figure) Then HP spills out of Canada and all of our systems get suppressed to the gulf coast and they get snow while we, with our 1" depth get to watch as they get their 3rd or 4th snow event on the season. While we hold out hope that a 4" "big dog" clipper comes through to save us from our subzero tundra misery. Jesus this sucks, although it's not as bad as 2017 at least. At this rate severe weather season better deliver or I'm gonna end up in a mental institution

Is there any evidence for that?

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Nothing like 13-14 and 14-15 for you guys. Certainly were due for something widespread, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. But wow, LES does wonders for you guys. Sometimes I wish I lived in the snowbelts, but then I dont know if I'd enjoy a blizzard every single day. :lol:

Yeah these are the events so far this year. This combined with a bunch of clippers and that one good synoptic event makes this year pretty decent. Usually if we get colder then normal weather we have above normal snowfall seasons. Snow never gets old in winter, but once Mid March comes I want warmth and sun. 

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=A

17 minutes ago, cmillzz said:

Is there any evidence for that?

Yup. Here. Apparently the Euro weeklies are showing something similar as well, but cannot confirm. Can hardly tell what is going on with those JMA graphics either, but they appear to suggest a central/eastern trough and a suppressed storm track.

cfs-avg_z500aMean_us_5.png

cfs-mon_01_z500a_us_1.png

post-46-0-05014100-1516197286.png

DTvKa3qV4AAS1c5.jpg

Fact of the matter is unless you're lee of the great lakes, the Midwest just isn't as reliable for good snows as interior New England or the Cascades because it's a lot drier here during the winter. The Sierra Nevada in NV/CA also gets massive blockbuster storms but that area is also subject to unexpected long-lasting ridges and dry spells

19 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Yup. Here. Apparently the Euro weeklies are showing something similar as well, but cannot confirm. Can hardly tell what is going on with those JMA graphics either, but they appear to suggest a central/eastern trough and a suppressed storm track.

cfs-avg_z500aMean_us_5.png

cfs-mon_01_z500a_us_1.png

post-46-0-05014100-1516197286.png

DTvKa3qV4AAS1c5.jpg

Lol

11 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Time for an embedded "PLEASE PAY US" in the AFDs again

Since you brought it up, I am curious and maybe RC or someone can answer. Without getting into a political blame game, how does a government shutdown affect NOAA/NWS? Are staffing levels affected at all or is it just a pay issue during the shutdown?

To this date at least here in Indpls metro the thing I will remember about this winter will be the length of sustained arctic cold if not its extremes....and certainly not the amount of snowfall as has been previously mentioned in this thread.  Maybe if we start getting sw flow with moisture laden systems this will change for winter's second half.  Although I must admit that I am now looking forward to sv wx season instead of all the nickel and dime stuff we have had this winter.

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Since you brought it up, I am curious and maybe RC or someone can answer. Without getting into a political blame game, how does a government shutdown affect NOAA/NWS? Are staffing levels affected at all or is it just a pay issue during the shutdown?

NWS is considered a necessary service, so all employees still get to work, however all tours and other outreach programs are indefinitely suspended. Back pay will be sent out once a CR or spending bill is passed.

For several days models forecast 1/2-1"+ of precip for the QCA, and amounts were only around 0.2" for DVN/MLI, and 0.31" here.  Also, no thunder in this area as well.  We can't even manage a solid rain event in this POS winter.  No storms on the horizon, and we'll be taking 8.9" seasonal total/3.6" max event total into Feb.  Looking like another F of a winter for the DVN area.  Speaking of DVN, they only have had 8.3" so far in this POS winter.  

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Here's a complaint. The people at work saying how nice it is out and I even heard one say of the rain "its better than snow". That is just as annoying as the weather itself.

same and then when u say no rather have snow and lots of it they think u are crazy. Never understood the hatred for snow its winter afterall

17 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

same and then when u say no rather have snow and lots of it they think u are crazy. Never understood the hatred for snow its winter afterall

They aren't even necessarily snow haters either. Around Christmas they said it was pretty lol. It's like society programs you to think snow is bad lol

25 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

No surprise  you get them reactions. Winter weather can be tricky for drivers.  Tricky wx and Indiana drivers don't mix on the roads.    A state to avoid driving through at all cost.

Hey, I resemble that remark! lol Seriously,there are bad snow drivers wherever you go. However, it does seem that our state gets more than it's share of weather that makes roads icy rather than snow-covered. That could also be an INDOT issue.

Archived