Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

12 minutes ago, mimillman said:

The only bright side about being 200 miles west from seeing the big dog is that it's still 4-5 days out. Everything else sucks.

Yeah.  Do acknowledge the lake effect backup if the big storm misses, but I'd much rather have the synoptic storm.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find amusing about this winter is that the exact region that was supposed to be very active this winter is the place getting nada...nothing...zilch. We shall hope for some lake effect that melts at the sights of the next thaw. Getting closer to moving somewhere that gets lake effect AND synoptic snowstorms.

1 hour ago, blackrock said:

What I find amusing about this winter is that the exact region that was supposed to be very active this winter is the place getting nada...nothing...zilch. We shall hope for some lake effect that melts at the sights of the next thaw. Getting closer to moving somewhere that gets lake effect AND synoptic snowstorms.

Good luck finding a place that does both well.  

Days like today just drive me nuts, and reinforce the horrible winter climo here.

A completely non-winterlike day with a high/low around 40/25...and somehow it's only 10 degrees above normal, even though it feels like it's 25 degrees above normal.  Our climo says a day like today is just as likely as a 20/5 day.  A 40/25 day is ridiculous anytime in DJF...and especially so during the heart of winter.  A 20/5 day is a typical winter day to me...and should be much more likely than a 40/25 day.  

I thought the recent cold temps would preserve the snow a bit longer, as the snow would have a lower temp and therefore not be as ripe for melting (as you often hear discussed in ski resorts as they determine likelihood of melting)...but that was not the case.  I guess it's not a relevant scientific discussion when there is only 3" of snow to melt. Even with the relatively low sun angle this time of year, our 3" of snow has nearly melted completely with only two days of 38-40 high temps. It seems like all of the stars need to align for snow to occur...yet it can disappear in the blink of an eye.  

The exponential Midwest winter gradient is rearing its ugly head again.  Compare here (42N) to central WI (45N)...and it's a whole different ballgame.  Normal Jan temps 30/15 vs. 25/5, lower sun angle, better snow retention, frozen lakes, longer nights, etc.

And before anyone comes down with the climo hammer...believe me, I know how horrible our climo is.  If we had a climo winter, it would be a D- grade.  So, winters like 2015-16 and 2016-17 get an F-.  Maybe an upgrade to an F for 2015-16 due to the big November storm.  Even the decent winters of 2013-14 and 2014-15 only get a B or B+, due to Christmas thaw and/or other significant thaws during mid-December to mid-February.  Those are fine in November or March...but the mid-winter period should not see thaws.  I don't want to have to deal with the possibility of lakes melting during the winter.  Lakes should freeze by New Years, then stay that way through JF.  It should just be a question of how deep the lake is frozen.

I find it humorous how people complain about the cold/snow in Chicago...yet we don't have a wintry climo.  Imagine if we actually did.  Even our coldest months on record are similar to an average January in northern WI.  Would be a fun experiment to drop all of the Chicago inhabitants onto International Falls...and try a winter there.  It's all relative. 

And now we have a decent snowstorm threatening parts of the forum...but only a few select areas will see decent amounts.  Whether it's IMBY or not, what happened to "spread the wealth" storms??  Snow and cold should occur simply because it's Winter...and not requiring 5,000,000 different things to line up perfectly.

Bah humbug. :fulltilt:

54 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I find it humorous how people complain about the cold/snow in Chicago...yet we don't have a wintry climo.  Imagine if we actually did.  Even our coldest months on record are similar to an average January in northern WI.  Would be a fun experiment to drop all of the Chicago inhabitants onto International Falls...and try a winter there.  It's all relative. 

Put a Chicago neighborhood in Ifalls and watch the chaos. Sounds like a good social experiment.

I am originally from Central Minnesota (St cloud). Even taking some people from there to the Falls in January would be funny to see how they deal with the cold.

Central/northern WI may have better snow/cold climo but southern WI has gotten absolutely nada just like northern IL and we are in perfect position to get shafted by the late week storm as well. If it's a choice between a dry deep freeze and days like yesterday/today, I'll take the thaw every time.

The forecast beyond Thursday has me :angry: as we look to be plunged into yet another prolonged deep freeze without a single high-impact precip event for this winter. At least this one doesn't look to be quite as deep as the last one (Teens/0s vs. 0s/-0s), but I am still getting disturbing shades of 2013-14 (minus the snow, although that was more like an inch here, 2 inches there every few days which made driving a pain almost every day and required nearly constant salting. I'd much rather track a big dog than deal with a dozen nickel-and-dimers).

44 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If I can make it through this whole thing with several inches of lake effect snow and some gusty winds, I will consider it a win.  I'd really like to get in on the main storm but I'm just not going to expect anything from it.  If it trends north, great.

The way this winter is going, I think it's more likely west central Michigan falls into a large, deep sinkhole that bombards Detroit with 6 feet of lake effect.

12 minutes ago, mimillman said:

The way this winter is going, I think it's more likely west central Michigan falls into a large, deep sinkhole that bombards Detroit with 6 feet of lake effect.

LMAO!!

I'm just hoping we can nickel and dime our way to 20" by the end of the season.  Think I'd consider that a win.

EDIT:  Just noticed Dubuque is already a foot of snow behind for the season.

Season total will probably be like 70" at DTW by the end of February while ORD/MKE will still be under 10" (seems like it may never snow again in those locations).

I mean that's some unreal bad luck for N IL and S WI. At least E IA cashed in on some decent snow during the clipper back in Dec.

7 minutes ago, gaylordweather said:

Don't forget La Crosse, WI: just 4.9" on the season so far. Good enough for 9th least snowy start to winter through yesterday. If we make it to the 15th without measurable snow (possible but not a given), we'll move up to 5th place. Rooting it on! This winter sucks so far....

lack_of_snow.jpg

Great graphic... in a bad way. 

9 minutes ago, gaylordweather said:

Don't forget La Crosse, WI: just 4.9" on the season so far. Good enough for 9th least snowy start to winter through yesterday. If we make it to the 15th without measurable snow (possible but not a given), we'll move up to 5th place. Rooting it on! This winter sucks so far....

lack_of_snow.jpg

That is nuts!

5.6" of snow on the winter, a quick 48 hour January thaw, just in time to melt what little snow pack we have, then plunge back into the freezer with a dry pattern, this winter sucks. 

2013-2014 aside, winters have been painfully boring since the dumpster fire 2011-2012 winter. 2014-2015 was okay, but December 14' I recorded just a T of snow, and was whiffed in February 15' by GHD II.

I am so over weak LA Nina's this is our 3rd one in the last 6 years. 

Archived