• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

*rant* This whole winter has been crap with lots of cold but only crappy nuisance snows and heavy rains and then what seems to be one last chance at a fun "end of season" snow and we can't even get a Winter Storm Warning with once again 2-4 inches of "nuisance" while once again NYC and New England get another Nor'easter. They are so spoiled and I hate them and screw this winter! *end rant*

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I notice the title of this thread is Fall/Winter Banter. Where is the Spring Banter ?

Freakin' EC'ers are crashing the board with their parade of Nor'easters. However, who in this subforum is experiencing Spring?

The Toronto area is and its nice. Its slightly below average, but considering average is now into the 40s the upper 30s and sunshine feels nice. The nights are still cold though with temperatures in the low 20s.  There is little to no snow to be seen and has been sunny for days now. 

Happy that the snowstorms are missing us to the south and east as I personally find them pointless at this time of the year. 

However, I have a weird feeling that the GTA hasn't seen the last legitimate snowfall of the season (2" or more at one time) Im thinking that in early-mid April Toronto sees a 3-6" sloppy mess. 

8 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

The Toronto area is and its nice. Its slightly below average, but considering average is now into the 40s the upper 30s and sunshine feels nice. The nights are still cold though with temperatures in the low 20s.  There is little to no snow to be seen and has been sunny for days now. 

Happy that the snowstorms are missing us to the south and east as I personally find them pointless at this time of the year. 

However, I have a weird feeling that the GTA hasn't seen the last legitimate snowfall of the season (2" or more at one time) Im thinking that in early-mid April Toronto sees a 3-6" sloppy mess. 

I agree.

But it's not my preference. If I could choose the wx I'd rather just transition into 50s and 60s.

This month has been brutal. Arid and cold. Hideous combination.

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Not happening. Snow and Toronto broke up a long time ago.

This month, with all the Nor'Easters, has taken away some of my interest in snow. Such a disappointing and frustrating winter. It's been since what February 12th since we seen a snowstorm? lol. Maybe moving forward we'll see more 09-10 and 11-12 winters with that one odd 13-14 type of winter every few years. I don't mind it now, climate change ftw. 

Ready for some warmth already. This -NAO is terrible.

24 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

This month, with all the Nor'Easters, has taken away some of my interest in snow. Such a disappointing and frustrating winter. It's been since what February 12th since we seen a snowstorm? lol. Maybe moving forward we'll see more 09-10 and 11-12 winters with that one odd 13-14 type of winter every few years. I don't mind it now, climate change ftw. 

lol, if you want to call it that.

This pattern is so maddening. Snow south and east, snow north and east, snow north and west, snow south and west...while West Michigan sits in this freakin bubble of getting missed by everything. More pure suckage in terms of getting any synoptic snowstorms here. Then I look in the long range to see low pressures possibly making it far enough north to hit us...but no cold air in sight. Keep hoping for something to change...but nada. Time to start mulching the beds and working on the yard in the sunny, stale cold weather.

24 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

lol, if you want to call it that.

Lol, more like icing on the cake. 

Its to bad man. We don't see severe weather like areas further south in the summer and now we don't even have a legitimate winter anymore. What's left? 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

I am totally feeling your pain snowstorms. Winters have been painfully boring for the last 3 years. My season snowfall total for winter of 17-18 was 9.6”. Really puts into perspective how legendary winter of 13-14 really was. If you were to remove 2013-2014 from that list, ever since 2011 winters have been boring, around here anyways. Obviously Chicago and Detroit cashed in on GHD I and GHD II since then. 

Some of the mods and admins at StormTrack have created a chat that is dedicated to severe wx. I wanted to post it in here to see if it conjures any interest. Its very active and there's quite a lot of weenies, but there's a system in place to attempt to keep order. It's still relatively new and things are constantly evolving so if you join and have feedback don't hesitate to suggest something.

https://discord.gg/B9sHKBK

1 hour ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Some of the mods and admins at StormTrack have created a chat that is dedicated to severe wx. I wanted to post it in here to see if it conjures any interest. Its very active and there's quite a lot of weenies, but there's a system in place to attempt to keep order. It's still relatively new and things are constantly evolving so if you join and have feedback don't hesitate to suggest something.

https://discord.gg/B9sHKBK

I was literally about to link that. Guess you beat me to it :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The national temperature extremes in 1936 have been mentioned in various threads...but I came across this Monthly Weather Review paper which shows the daily temps in Glasgow, MT in Feb 1936. 

A bit chilly on Feb 15th-16th...with highs and lows of -31/-59 and -32/-57 respectively.  Wow...

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1980)108<0232%3AC>2.0.CO%3B2

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

The national temperature extremes in 1936 have been mentioned in various threads...but I came across this Monthly Weather Review paper which shows the daily temps in Glasgow, MT in Feb 1936. 

A bit chilly on Feb 15th-16th...with highs and lows of -31/-59 and -32/-57 respectively.  Wow...

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1980)108<0232%3AC>2.0.CO%3B2

Look at this flip.  Note the scale on the February map

cd2607-fb90-a37c-f6f1-0-10-c3a7-3b01_157_10_57_32_prcp.png.363d7f7598f0cb8d4741fd37e19d8525.png

cd2607-fb90-a37c-f6f1-0-10-c3a7-3b01_157_10_56_55_prcp.png.2af04e82545064dcbd2a5341778a78f4.png

Can we just skip to 2019 already?  We are in the heart of the storm season and I can't get anything.  A couple days ago big storms hit central Iowa pretty good, as far east as one county west of me.  This morning, northern Iowa is getting more heavy stuff, which they've had plenty of this spring.  The Quad Cities area is getting solid storms this morning as well.  What have I received this entire month?  ZERO!  0.00".  The 2018 weak-shear regime is just too hit-and-miss.

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Look at this flip.  Note the scale on the February map

Nice maps...even more evidence of how wild 1936 was.

Another data point:  in North Dakota, the all-time high and the all-time low both occurred in 1936...and less than 5 months apart.

121F in Steele, ND on 7/6/1936

-60F in Parshall, ND on 2/15/1936

So the tail from the morning MCS to the east sits back across my area.  The line bubbled up nicely as it approached Cedar Rapids.  The north side, south side, and east side received as much as 1-1.6" of rain.  Here on the west side, the line mostly skipped over us.  I only picked up a quarter inch.  Our luck continues to be terrible.

17 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

So the tail from the morning MCS to the east sits back across my area.  The line bubbled up nicely as it approached Cedar Rapids.  The north side, south side, and east side received as much as 1-1.6" of rain.  Here on the west side, the line mostly skipped over us.  I only picked up a quarter inch.  Our luck continues to be terrible.

Yea, I received 0.67 in my gauge. Looks like more storms this evening as well. Hopefully all of E IA scores a nice soaking from them.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Rain amounts have been fairly modest imby too so far, compared to other areas.  

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If the 12z HRRRx is correct there could be some flash flood potential over eastern Iowa later this eve/overnight.  It shows storms training behind the departing MCV induced complex.  Wherever that sets up could really get dumped on.

Archived