Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the increased east coast storms in more recent years, I have a thought that may or may not explain it. SSTs have generally run above average off the coast so all else being equal, that would tip the balance in favor of getting stronger/more frequent storms that track close enough to hammer them. Even if there's some truth to it, that's probably not the only reason.

You know the NE and New England folks start complaining as early as November if they don't get some snow as if they haven't gotten enough in the last 10+ years. Even in the infamous 11-12 winter they had that October storm, lol. 

And a -NAO is no good for us. A -NAO means suppression and dry weather like what literally this entire first half of March has been like for our sub-forum. Just a horrible month. I'll pass on it. The one time we had some SE ridge confluence, it turned out to be record-breaking and we couldn't even get a nice storm out of it. I mean what does it take? 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

As far as the increased east coast storms in more recent years, I have a thought that may or may not explain it. SSTs have generally run above average off the coast so all else being equal, that would tip the balance in favor of getting stronger/more frequent storms that track close enough to hammer them. Even if there's some truth to it, that's probably not the only reason.

I think big snowstorms in general are increasing. I mean you can't compare apples to oranges as the Great Lakes and the east coast are 2 completely different climates. I can certainly vouch that 6"+ and 10"+ snowstorms are increasing at Detroit. And I would love to put some regionwide figures to it. The 2000s edged out the 1880s/1970s for the most 6"+ snowstorms on record for Detroit, and now the 2010s have already passed the 2000s, with a winter and a half yet to go. Whenever I have time I may do a little research and pick several cities in our region to see if the number of 2-day snowfalls of 6" plus have increased, decreased, or stayed relatively the same.  As much as we've discussed who's hot and who's not in recent years, as well as whos snowfall seems to be increasing and whos seems to be decreasing, we never really have went in to the amount of storms (other than us each talking about our favorite ones).

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

You know the NE and New England folks start complaining as early as November if they don't get some snow as if they haven't gotten enough in the last 10+ years. Even in the infamous 11-12 winter they had that October storm, lol. 

And a -NAO is no good for us. A -NAO means suppression and dry weather like what literally this entire first half of March has been like for our sub-forum. Just a horrible month. I'll pass on it. The one time we had some SE ridge confluence, it turned out to be record-breaking and we couldn't even get a nice storm out of it. I mean what does it take? 

They've had 3 24"+ snowstorms so far this winter, really impressive. Somehow they get the perfect tracks every few weeks. We've seen an increase in decent synoptic in WNY as well. 

Man i can't wait for our first significant long duration warm up of temps in 70s here in indy. Going to be nice after this awful stretch of March -nao ugly weather days where it's just nuisance snow showers with Sun the next minute. Can' buy a pattern like this is prime winter months but of course when we do it's suppression city

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Well, let's hope April is an improvement.  This March is a trash heap.

Averages going up, so there's bound to be some nice days even if the pattern overall isn't great.  Of course areas away from lake influences should tend to have more of those nice days.

I did a brief analysis of some of the 40's winter (so far) vs. the last 10 years (not including this season) of ~6.0"+ events in Toronto.

39-40: 6.5" - 1 Total, 40-41: 6.5", 15.7", 6.8" - 3 Total, 41-42: 7.3" - 1 Total, 42-43: 2 x 7.0", 11.8", 6.5" - 4 Total, 43-44: 8.4" - 1 Total, 44-45: 22.5" - 1 Total,  45-46: 0, 46-47: 7.3", 8.3", 5.9" - 3 Total, 47-48: 7.0", 6.0" - 2 Total, 48-49: 6.5", 7.3", 12.2" - 3 Total, 49-50: 5.8", 7.0", 9.5", 14.1", 6.4" - 5 Total   

Total: 24, 5 footers

06-07: 0, 07-08: 7.9", 6.5", 12.1", 3 x 6.0" - 6 Total, 08-09: 6.3", 6.0" - 2 Total, 09-10: 0, 10-11: 6.0", 5.7", 5.6" - 3 Total, 11-12: 0, 12-13: 6.0", 8.1", 12.0" - 3 Total, 13-14: 2x 6.0", 9.0" - 3 Total, 14-15: 6.0", 6.8" - 2 Total, 15-16: 5.5" - 1 Total, 16-17: 6.1" 6.5" - 2 Total  

Total: 22, 2 footers

However, winters like 06-07, 09-10, 11-12 and 15-16 are among the least snowiest winters on record on YYZ. Funny enough neither of them expect 15-16 had a decent storm. 

4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'd much rather get stuck with cold in March than April.... especially mid to late April, when I want to have some new plant starts going outside.

Good point, but this weather is still boring as hell lol.

Think the sleet and mix-bag storm from the 5th will be the highlight of the month for this area.  Sure would be nice to get a storm system with some balls around here.  Everything seems so wussy anymore.  The last truly exciting weather event was severe thunderstorm/very heavy rain event back late July last summer. Heaviest snow of the winter was a measly 4.3" Feb 5th.

Sure would be nice to get a storm system with some balls around here.  Everything seems so wussy anymore

#MWGA (Make Weather Great Again)

Seriously though, what is up with the atmosphere? Almost every storm in this region the last several years that looks like it might be high-end/high-impact whether for winter or severe has had its ceiling tempered in some way by verification time. The only overachiever I can think of is 2/28/17.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So done with this winter. I'm all in for Spring and this stupid block keeps suppressing not only the storms but the warmth too. <_< 

I hope we never see a -NAO ever again because they've been nothing but terrible for our region in recent years. Tired of seeing the east coast keep getting storm after storm. More than half way through the month and we have yet to see a single storm. **** this winter! 

12 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Mid-march and the systems are still getting suppressed to the south. Then, on the long range, any inkling of a system coming far enough north ends up with the system cutting way north and west and we get rain...per the usual anymore...man, what a boring string of winters.

Speak for yourself. 

:P

35 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

So done with this winter. I'm all in for Spring and this stupid block keeps suppressing not only the storms but the warmth too. <_< 

I hope we never see a -NAO ever again because they've been nothing but terrible for our region in recent years. Tired of seeing the east coast keep getting storm after storm. More than half way through the month and we have yet to see a single storm. **** this winter! 

0.9" to go to get to your coveted 40" season. Hang on at least for that. C'mon! :D

11 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

0.9" to go to get to your coveted 40" season. Hang on at least for that. C'mon! :D

:lol: Not happening. Besides 40" is my benchmark, but 45" is the norm. With our luck, the next two storms are going to be suppressed then all of sudden spring comes and we get storms and they're all rain. Rinse and repeat over and over like it has been for the last few years. So bs!  

I hope the east coast goes on a snow drought now, they've had a century's worth of snow in the last 10 years. And yet, they still complain season after season. 

40 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

:lol: Not happening. Besides 40" is my benchmark, but 45" is the norm. With our luck, the next two storms are going to be suppressed then all of sudden spring comes and we get storms and they're all rain. Rinse and repeat over and over like it has been for the last few years. So bs!  

I hope the east coast goes on a snow drought now, they've had a century's worth of snow in the last 10 years. And yet, they still complain season after season. 

Asking for the east coast to not get big storms is like asking for lake effect to not happen in the Lakes. It's not happening. The great lakes will always get more frequent winter weather and the east coast more big storms. It's not changing. 

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Lol. 0.9" is not happening? It's possible but unlikely with a month of accumulating snow possibilities.

It's okay to be frustrated. I get it. But your posts seem sometimes....manic? Maybe not that...I don't know how to describe it. Let's just say...frustration is fine but try not to become unhinged.

4 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Lol. 0.9" is not happening? It's possible but unlikely with a month of accumulating snow possibilities.

It's okay to be frustrated. I get it. But your posts seem sometimes....manic? Maybe not that...I don't know how to describe it. Let's just say...frustration is fine but try not to become unhinged.

Definitely agree with this. While it certainly has been a frustrating March - perhaps the most frustrating weather period since January-February 2010 - there is absolutely nothing we can do about the weather. I sometimes think Snowstorms would only be happy if every winter were like 2007-2008 and the first half of 2008-2009. Then again, we could get 18" and he'd complain that Buffalo got 24". :lol:

Archived