Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Would be nice if for once, just once, we can get a nice Gulf/Texas Low. I can't even remember the last time we had one. I don't think we will get one this winter, maybe next year? 

It's been about 3 years now. I think February 2015 was the last time for Toronto... got around 9-10" of snow IMBY.

Before that, I think there was an event in February and March of 2014 that dumped 8-10"...

Our last biggie was February 2013 when I got 14" or so.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snowcaine said:

It's been about 3 years now. I think February 2015 was the last time for Toronto... got around 9-10" of snow IMBY.

Before that, I think there was an event in February and March of 2014 that dumped 8-10"...

Our last biggie was February 2013 when I got 14" or so.

February 2015 was 10x better further south than it was for us. The same could be said about the February 2014 event. February 2013 was a nice surprise where many areas of the GTA got between 10-16" of snow. We been shafted one to many times in the last few years where areas further south get a monster storm and we pick up a few inches, lol. Today and this weekend is no different.

I'm pretty disappointed with weather underground lately, as they've had a lot of very weird issues regarding personal weather station data.  Been uploading to them since around 2012, and over the past few months they've had some very weird issues with data display on their pages.  If you want to see what I'm talking about click my weather station link in my signature and check out today's graph lol.  Don't know what's going on with them, but I hope they get things straightened out soon.

EDIT:  WTF.  As soon as I posted this I went back to look at it again and everything looked normal.  Wish I would have taken a screen shot now.  Any of you other peeps who upload to WU having any of these weird issues lately?

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm pretty disappointed with weather underground lately, as they've had a lot of very weird issues regarding personal weather station data.  Been uploading to them since around 2012, and over the past few months they've had some very weird issues with data display on their pages.  If you want to see what I'm talking about click my weather station link in my signature and check out today's graph lol.  Don't know what's going on with them, but I hope they get things straightened out soon.

Forget disappointing...WU has been complete !@#$ for almost a year now.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

EDIT:  WTF.  As soon as I posted this I went back to look at it again and everything looked normal.  Wish I would have taken a screen shot now.  Any of you other peeps who upload to WU having any of these weird issues lately?

i've had on and off issues for a couple months. I believe they underwent some back end server changes a while back. 

5 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

February 2015 was 10x better further south than it was for us. The same could be said about the February 2014 event. February 2013 was a nice surprise where many areas of the GTA got between 10-16" of snow. We been shafted one to many times in the last few years where areas further south get a monster storm and we pick up a few inches, lol. Today and this weekend is no different.

We were basically bullseyed for the February 4-5, 2014 event. A stripe of about a ~foot across north Toronto and southern York with a stationary f-gen band (EC HQ measured 11.7"). Amounts further south were lighter. Eg, Windsor picked up 6", Hamilton 7".

We've been averaging a footer about once every 5 years. Good news is we're drawing due! :)

On 2/9/2018 at 9:01 AM, naptown said:

Did Indianapolis/Marion County have a Winter Storm Warning this year? I know south of the Indy area had one. We've had several advisories here but I don't recall being under a warning?

No. The warning was for southern sections of central Indiana.

8 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

We were basically bullseyed for the February 4-5, 2014 event. A stripe of about a ~foot across north Toronto and southern York with a stationary f-gen band (EC HQ measured 11.7"). Amounts further south were lighter. Eg, Windsor picked up 6", Hamilton 7".

We've been averaging a footer about once every 5 years. Good news is we're drawing due! :)

Great analysis, were more than due for big storm :lol:. I had a quick analysis of the last couple of years in Toronto of the biggest storms and its quite interesting; (Note I used a combination of a few stations) 

Biggest Toronto storms since 07-08

Feb, 07-8/2013: 14.6" - North York

Dec, 15-16/2007: 13.3" - Toronto

Feb, 06/2008: 12.0” - YYZ

Feb, 04-5/ 2014: 11.6” - North York

Jan, 17/2009: 9.3” 

Feb, 01/2015: 9.1” 

46 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Great analysis, were more than due for big storm :lol:. I had a quick analysis of the last couple of years in Toronto of the biggest storms and its quite interesting; (Note I used a combination of a few stations) 

Biggest Toronto storms since 07-08

Feb, 07-8/2013: 14.6" - North York

Dec, 15-16/2007: 13.3" - Toronto

Feb, 06/2008: 12.0” - YYZ

Feb, 04-5/ 2014: 11.6” - North York

Jan, 17/2009: 9.3” 

Feb, 01/2015: 9.1” 

You can add the December 14, 2013 storm that dropped 11" downtown (partially LES aided).

Actually, we had a decent run between 2013-2015 with several 8-12" storms (and Feb 8, 2013 which was 12"+). Now it's quieted off but we've had stretches like this before and we always bounce back. Just enjoy the ride.

12 hours ago, IllinoisWedges said:

There's too MUCH snow on the ground. Knee deep depth. Bring in the severe already, because this is terrible. 

Depth is fun when it gets to these levels (not something we see every winter). This is the wrong time of year to maintain huge depths for weeks on end around these parts so melting will kick in soon enough.

33 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

You can add the December 14, 2013 storm that dropped 11" downtown (partially LES aided).

Actually, we had a decent run between 2013-2015 with several 8-12" storms (and Feb 8, 2013 which was 12"+). Now it's quieted off but we've had stretches like this before and we always bounce back. Just enjoy the ride.

Good point. I guess were seeing stretches of bad and worse winters. 2007-2009 was a good stretch followed by a reprieve from 2009-early 2011. You could also add the December 2016 and February 2017 storms in there as well. Albeit lesser amounts, we still managed to receive ~6.0" from both events. 

On 1/28/2018 at 2:33 PM, Hoosier said:

So with ORD only at 10" with January almost over, I ran some stats to see what it suggests where things may end up when all is said and done. 

Hint... it's not good.  Actually, it's even worse than I imagined.  With some minor snow possible in the remaining days of January, I adjusted the criteria a bit to look at seasons with less than 12" through January.  In Chicago's official records, there have been 32 seasons that have entered February with less than 12". How many of those 32 years rallied to finish with above average snow?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

One.  Only 1 out of 32 rallied to finish snowier than average, which was 1899-1900.  And it barely made it by finishing mere tenths above average.  Some years did rally to within a few inches of average but many ended up like 6-12" or more below average.

So this winter is going to have to pull off something that has almost been unprecedented in order to reach/exceed average.

So ORD is now 0.2" above average to date and will move farther above average with more snow on the way... before a snowless period of undetermined length. Can this be the winter that defies the odds and rallies to end snowier than average?  Need about 13" more snow to break the seasonal average.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Depth is fun when it gets to these levels (not something we see every winter). This is the wrong time of year to maintain huge depths for weeks on end around these parts so melting will kick in soon enough.

With snow depth of 14", this is the 3rd winter of the past 5 to have depths exceed a foot.

So ORD is now 0.2" above average to date and will move farther above average with more snow on the way... before a snowless period of undetermined length. Can this be the winter that defies the odds and rallies to end snowier than average?  Need about 13" more snow to break the seasonal average.
I think we'll have chances next weekend and beyond through mid March at least. Maybe late season blocking on level of Feb-March 2013 is in the cards. That was quite the active stretch after an even slower start to season than this winter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, IllinoisWedges said:

There's too MUCH snow on the ground. Knee deep depth. Bring in the severe already, because this is terrible. 

Why so many people want this much snow is beyond me. I'm honestly ready for summer at this point. Wish more people would at least start looking forward to spring instead of rooting for more garbage snow/cold. This is beyond awful.

Probably won't be living here for much longer anyway. Great lakes region has some of the worst climo in this country imo.

11 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Didn't know where to really put this, but how about this for a turn...

0z ECMWF has temps near 60F, t'storm and around 2" of rain on Thur/Fri.

Love it. Wash away all this disgusting snow. Long range doesn't look very promising for snow prospects either, so there's probably near 0 chance that Chicago reaches its seasonal average.

23 minutes ago, cmillzz said:

Why so many people want this much snow is totally understandable. I'm honestly ready for winter to continue, like forevah. Wish more people would at least start looking forward to more snow instead of rooting for more boring weather. Blahh.

Probably won't be living here for much longer anyway. Great lakes region has some of the BESTEST  climo in this country imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYP

1 hour ago, cmillzz said:

Why so many people want this much snow is beyond me. I'm honestly ready for summer at this point. Wish more people would at least start looking forward to spring instead of rooting for more garbage snow/cold. This is beyond awful.

Probably won't be living here for much longer anyway. Great lakes region has some of the worst climo in this country imo.

We pray For the sake of your mental health and the health of the forum that you and your family arrive safely to Phoenix ASAP. 

JB beginning to write is mea culpa regarding his call for big time cold settling in the rest of the month.

MJO now looks to get stuck in 7 with hints it may head back to 6.  The tour through 8 and 1 doesn't look to happen.   If we keep looping in 7, and head to 6...welcome to an early spring as the trough sets up much further west. 

I'm good with that....anything other than this drizzly/foggy low 30s.

If you want to live in a nickel/dimer climate, Iowa is the place to be.  Over the last seven years we've had only one big snow event, the Feb 2015 Superbowl storm, which dropped 9.5" here.  All other storms have been 6.2" or less.  Beyond that, I've never measured a foot of snow from one storm in my entire life.  It just seems to be next to impossible to get a biggie here.

Fun last 9 days of winter, all featuring some snow falling from the sky.. Locally, Monday was our best day. The latter part of the week was frustrating at times, but we got into enough of the bands of snow to make it “good enough”. Certainly is a deep winter appeal out there right now. For someone though that walks through it for a living, it can be challenging, lol.

This plus the two or so week of late December/early January makes this winter solid enough in my book. Can’t expect mountains of snow or big dogs every winter. :D

Archived