Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

4 hours ago, Central Illinois said:

I'm pretty sure most of the forum is under 10" at this point unless you live in WI/MI

..THE MADISON WI CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR FEBRUARY 4 2018...
VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2018

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
 TODAY
  MAXIMUM         18   1216 AM  55    1890  28    -10       30
  MINIMUM          9   1202 PM -23    1965  12     -3        6
  AVERAGE         14                        20     -6       18

PRECIPITATION (IN)
  TODAY            0.08          1.47 1986   0.04   0.04      T
  MONTH TO DATE    0.32                      0.17   0.15      T
  SINCE DEC 1      2.73                      3.14  -0.41     4.79
  SINCE JAN 1      2.00                      1.40   0.60     2.76

SNOWFALL (IN)
  TODAY            1.4           6.0  1903   0.4    1.0       T
  MONTH TO DATE    4.3                       1.7    2.6       T
  SINCE DEC 1     18.2                      28.1   -9.9     33.8
  SINCE JUL 1     18.5                      32.2  -13.7     33.8
  SNOW DEPTH       3

DEGREE DAYS
 HEATING
  TODAY           51                        45      6       47
  MONTH TO DATE  194                       180     14      194
  SINCE DEC 1   2900                      2914    -14     2776
  SINCE JUL 1   4259                      4493   -234     3798

COOLING
  TODAY            0                         0      0        0
  MONTH TO DATE    0                         0      0        0
  SINCE DEC 1      0                         0      0        0
  SINCE JAN 1      0                         0      0        0

If you'd told me Madison was still below 10" (at least going into this weekend), I'd have believed you. We've had so many inch here, 1/2" there snowfalls followed by suppressing deep freeze, followed by a thaw, we've spent the vast majority of this winter with bare or nearly bare ground.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Chinook said:

Here's a pretty interesting picture. I have seen sun dogs before, but never with blowing snow, only with cirrus clouds.

cMeYaNU.jpg

The mechanism is the same with cirrus clouds and blowing snow. Winds get the ice crystals (ice plates work the best) all oriented in the same direction/plane. Actually the blowing snow works the best just because it is closer to us observers.

Now that we're back to snow I'm over it. 

Living downwind of the lakes is not all it's cracked up to be. It's always snowing, even if it's just 1-4" a day. A significant lake effect outbreak must be a huge headache. The roads are always snow covered, the car needs to be cleaned every time you need to go somewhere, and the driveway always needs shoveling. 

Lake effect is more like a nuisance snow than an exciting snowstorm. 

It just hurts knowing that this event could have been decently noteworthy(and was modeled that way even yesterday) but the overnight and today runs are trending awfully towards "marginal" warning event at best. It still is a warning snow I guess........ better than WI or IWX can say, so I should probably stop whining and take what I can get.

I am so ready to put this winter out of its misery, but this thing is going to linger well into March, me thinks. 

Some more incredible stats for CMI.

last 7” snowfall was 3/1/15

last 5” or greater was 3/1/15

last WSW was 2/24/16 and a major bust 

A brief warmup of 42 degrees tomorrow, just enough to melt our measly 2” snow depth and reset the landscape to bare ground again. 

I hope Chicago peeps enjoy the 10-14” of snow. 

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The WRF "family" I will call it, came in pretty wet.  So it's pretty obvious that LOT is leaning toward the wetter hi-res and global output.

Lol. I didn't want to clutter up the storm thread, but I also call it the WRF family (We Are Family, Sister Sledge from the '70's, look 'em up). Man I'm old.

This event ended up being a bit disappointing, but I'm pretty happy with how Feb has gone so far.  Definitely blowing Jan out of the water.  With today's 1.2" we're now up to 7.3" for the month already.  Should get another inch or so tomorrow night, and again Sat night.  Baum's prediction of a foot plus for this month is looking pretty good. :beer:

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This event ended up being a bit disappointing, but I'm pretty happy with how Feb has gone so far.  Definitely blowing Jan out of the water.  With today's 1.2" we're now up to 7.3" for the month already.  Should get another inch or so tomorrow night, and again Sat night.  Baum's prediction of a foot plus for this month is looking pretty good. :beer:

New euro has a few inches falling on you Friday night.

1 minute ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Can I join this thread? I got 6” last night, but will be low for LOT as I watch a great line go south today after watching the line go north last night.

good amount of frustration and grumbling around here regarding this busted forecast 

At least you got warning criteria, we didn’t even get that. Tonight’s snow looks like another glancing miss to the southeast. This is the biggest Cedar Rapids screwjob that I can remember in quite some time. Literally everything is avoiding us.

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

At least you got warning criteria, we didn’t even get that. Tonight’s snow looks like another glancing miss to the southeast. This is the biggest Cedar Rapids screwjob that I can remember in quite some time. Literally everything is avoiding us.

Definitely. But just brutal  to get photos from 20 miles north and 20 miles south with significantly higher accumulation 

19 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Definitely. But just brutal  to get photos from 20 miles north and 20 miles south with significantly higher accumulation 

Nature of the beast when you have essentially a 2 or 3 county-wide train of snow trucking through the sub.   Gonna be a lot more heartbreak than glory.  We just went through it in Ohio, (albeit smaller amounts), CMH lucked out but literally 1 county south or couple counties north got screwed. 

This forum is overdue for a widespread snowstorm.  I'm talking an arctic high in place getting attacked by a G.O.M. qpf bomb.  Ala January '99....  double digit snows from the eastern OV to the Missippi River and lower great lakes.   Instead we have these weak waves running boundaries with a 25 mile wide swath of snow on the edge.  

Torching away at 48 degrees, good riddance snow, landscape reset to bare ground (damn near) at this point I want no more snow to stat pad what has been a boring winter. 

Sorry guys, im bitter and starved for a good 6-10” storm. Don’t mean to constantly complain. But I have good reason. 

17 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Torching away at 48 degrees, good riddance snow, landscape reset to bare ground (damn near) at this point I want no more snow to stat pad what has been a boring winter. 

Sorry guys, im bitter and starved for a good 6-10” storm. Don’t mean to constantly complain. But I have good reason. 

The snowpack if I can call it that was pretty fragile here.  Today's modest temperatures and partly cloudy sky killed all but the man-made piles.  

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Holy crap!  I didn't realize that level of warmth had made it that far north.  

Archived