Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

15 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

^^^ I'm almost always game for snow-on-snow tho, so I'll take 1-3 at a time. Maybe we get lucky and the 4-6th wave becomes more juiced like the Dec 13th storm did for some. Twice I penny, nickel, dimed my way to approx 6" depth. Be nice to raise the bar during Feb. Certainly looks likely I beat last Feb's paltry 2.9" total. 

Even the snow on snow starts to become less effective than it would have been in December, given the better chances of melting/sublimating with increasing sun angle.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Seems reasonable.  There are a number of disturbances progged in/near the area in coming days.  I'd call it the "throw **** at the wall" pattern.  

No kidding with the upcoming pattern. I count 7 clipperish type waves affecting us in the next couple of weeks. That's throwing it at the wall if anything is. Let's just see what sticks. (Not talking about sun angle)

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was looking back at 2013-14 at ORD. They were at 52.6" of snow on February 1.  A little behind this time.

lol slightly.  DVN and DBQ still in single digits for snowfall in early Feb, pretty crazy.

Now that it's Feb and the days are getting longer I'm starting to yearn a little for spring.  Seems a little counter-intuitive since it kind of feels like winter never really came with the lack of snow.  Still very much want snow, but I'm really starting to look forward to the warm season and sitting out on a back road time lapsing a monster thunderhead billowing up on a warm and humid evening.  

This week looks to be active around here, but really?!

The 12z GFS output depicts this for Northeast IN in the upcoming week (its snowfall output divided by 2):

Sunday-

4AM-9AM 1"

3PM-7PM 1/2"

Mon.-Tues

10PM-9AM 1"

Tues-Wed.

4PM-4AM 1"

Thurs

Noon-4PM 1/2"

Fri-Sat

10AM-10AM 2"

Total output 6"

Perhaps a wintry week, but not what I want.

I’ve had 5 people at the very least come up to me between yesterday and today and say “did you hear it’s supposed to snow 10+” this weekend???” I saw some news outlets around here post raw model outputs over the last few days of projected snow amounts over the next week on social media, even saw a case of them broadcasting it live last night. We realize this, but the vast majority of the general public sees this as we are going to see a major snowstorm this weekend/early next week, and then if we don’t see said snowstorm, their confidence in forecasters will go down. It’s a vicious cycle that happens quite a bit, but it really bothers me. While Warning of a wintry pattern ahead is a good idea, posting the 12z Euro showing 20” of snow in Chicago is a terrible idea, especially for a news outlet such as Fox 32 Chicago to do, which lots of people see. 

I'm pretty sure we're still under 10"...

It snowed for maybe 20 minutes total here on the south side. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve seen anything resembling a winter storm. There was an early thanksgiving one and a late March one that melted instantly and I missed the sweet spot for both of those. Probably the longest I can remember going without noticeable snowfall

17 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Well, if we don't get any snow in the next 5 days from this setup, I'm done.  Bring on some speedy Indiana F2's  zipping across bare fields, a 2 day March big dog and daylight past 5pm!

Having lived in GA my entire life, I wonder if Indiana has as much severe weather as the south ?

40 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Having lived in GA my entire life, I wonder if Indiana has as much severe weather as the south ?

The severe frequency matches up pretty well with Georgia.  Of course there are up years and down years like anywhere else.

The winter of true nickle and diming continues. My seasonal snowfall total stands at 9.6” for now. After this wave moving through Tuesday/Wednesday I’m done with this winter, anything now is just stat padding a junk winter. 

Winter grade stands at D+, saving grace was a 3” snowfall Christmas Eve, which was beautiful. 

Archived