SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another ORD stat... there has not been a 3" calendar day snowfall yet, and this will be only the 3rd time in the past 30 years that it takes until February or later to get it (1988-89 and 2012-13 are the other 2 seasons).

In case anyone is wondering, the last time there was not a 3" calendar day snow at any point in the season was 1967-68, which, interestingly, was being mentioned as an analog by some.

Including this one, my last three Januarys, combined, have accumulated only 7.9" of snow.  It has been the same for places like Waterloo and Des Moines.  January has become a dead month.

Des Moines has still not had a 3" snowfall since December 2015.  This really is a pretty ridiculous stat.  Over the last eleven years, even my four lousy winters, combined, have had nine 3+" snowfalls, seven 4+" snowfalls, and three 5+" snowfalls.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Including this one, my last three Januarys, combined, have accumulated only 7.9" of snow.  It has been the same for places like Waterloo and Des Moines.  January has become a dead month.

Des Moines has still not had a 3" snowfall since December 2015.

Toronto has been in the same boat when it comes to January snowfall in recent years. Even December, however, the last two have been fairly decent. I'm starting to wonder if this is some new climate regime were entering into or is it just something temporary. 

33 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Des Moines has still not had a 3" snowfall since December 2015.  This really is a pretty ridiculous stat.  Over the last eleven years, even my four lousy winters have had nine 3+" snowfalls, combined.

I think this is in part because winters further west seem to have more variability as most of their snow comes from SW flow events. Even 100 miles further east, which isn't very far, it seems we can count on a clipper or two to drop 3" of snowfall. It seems Waterloo and Cedar Rapids are close to the furthest SW periphery that can regularly expect clippers.

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Des Moines has still not had a 3" snowfall since December 2015.  This really is a pretty ridiculous stat.  Over the last eleven years, even my four lousy winters, combined, have had nine 3+" snowfalls, seven 4+" snowfalls, and three 5+" snowfalls.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty jacked up over the 1/3-3/4" of fluff coming behind the cold front on Saturday!

Sun angle getting higher every day, days lengthening, nothing big in site.... I'm over this Winter.  I was hopeful but knew deep down the dry Fall pattern going into Winter was concerning.  I'm now by Prairie Du Chien, WI. (Long story), and despite the frequent clippers I've yet to crack double digit seasonal snowfall yet.  

The upcoming pattern, in my opinion, will favor the Kansas-Ohio corridor and points South for bigger storms, perhaps East coast too.  I'll bet when this next cold air shot (which looks a bit less impressive) lifts out and adjust back over the Northern plains around 2/14'ish we get another lakes cutter.  Probably a Minnesota special if that happens, just a gut feeling looking at how the long range data is trying to play out.  In the Southern Wi, IL, IA, MO, IN region perhaps we get a surprise in March or April but I'm not holding my breath.

Biggest snow last Winter in Muscatine, Ia where I stayed was a week after our tornado and that was only around 5-6".  

57 minutes ago, Justin said:

Sun angle getting higher every day, days lengthening, nothing big in site.... I'm over this Winter.  I was hopeful but knew deep down the dry Fall pattern going into Winter was concerning.  I'm now by Prairie Du Chien, WI. (Long story), and despite the frequent clippers I've yet to crack double digit seasonal snowfall yet.  

The upcoming pattern, in my opinion, will favor the Kansas-Ohio corridor and points South for bigger storms, perhaps East coast too.  I'll bet when this next cold air shot (which looks a bit less impressive) lifts out and adjust back over the Northern plains around 2/14'ish we get another lakes cutter.  Probably a Minnesota special if that happens, just a gut feeling looking at how the long range data is trying to play out.  In the Southern Wi, IL, IA, MO, IN region perhaps we get a surprise in March or April but I'm not holding my breath.

Biggest snow last Winter in Muscatine, Ia where I stayed was a week after our tornado and that was only around 5-6".  

Nice to hear from ya man!  Sorry to see you leave the area.  AFA snowfall, things can only get better right?  lol. :D

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I know there was some pretty significant damage and injuries with that tornado and nobody likes to see that but you have to admit, F-2 to 6 inches of snow in a week, that's some true Midwest weather right there.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, Hoosier said:

Hey beavis, here's a gear grinder for you. Paducah is currently running ahead of ORD with snow, 12.4" to 10.0".  Checking Paducah's records, there has never been a year that they have outsnowed Chicago... although the Paducah records don't go back as far as what's available for Chicago.  

It would be pretty amazing if Paducah actually finishes ahead, but there's a ton of time to go.

My money's on Chicago.

15 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I know there was some pretty significant damage and injuries with that tornado and nobody likes to see that but you have to admit, F-2 to 6 inches of snow in a week, that's some true Midwest weather right there.

Gotta love the Midwest.  I was surprised there were not more serious injuries considering it was around 1030pm on the last day of February.  Missed my location by just over half a mile, I thought I was in trouble.  

16 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice to hear from ya man!  Sorry to see you leave the area.  AFA snowfall, things can only get better right?  lol. :D

I am only a couple hours away.  I'll be visiting come Spring.  Luckily I got a couple places up here I do consulting work for.  Been thinking about starting some sort of business providing personalized weather information.  Family issues have pulled me all over the place the last year and I'm where I need to be finally.  

Money should easily be on ORD, but if the upcoming suppression comes to fruition, combined  with a clipper train, the underdog may increase it's lead and it would take a late game rally for the overwhelming favorite to come back. It may take a March hail Mary of a late season cement dump as the season comes down to the wire. Chicago may win by a nose as climo puts ORD in its' wheelhouse in March, because as you know, winter is a marathon, not a sprint and it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Therefore, ORD may be down, but not out.

Did I cover all of the bases with the sports metaphors? lol

ALEK is optimistic about the upcoming pattern for northern IL/Chicago metro ("bullish" in his words). Aside from when it briefly appeared like late December into early January could produce a big synoptic system, this is the only other time he's been optimistic about the medium-long range pattern all season. He's been pretty spot on (including calling under 1" at ORD for December 29th clipper), so let's see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

ALEK is optimistic about the upcoming pattern for northern IL/Chicago metro ("bullish" in his words). Aside from when it briefly appeared like late December into early January could produce a big synoptic system, this is the only other time he's been optimistic about the medium-long range pattern all season. He's been pretty spot on (including calling under 1" at ORD for December 29th clipper), so let's see how it goes.

Tell him to get his ass back over here.

16 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

10 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Tell him to get his ass back over here.

An extremely rare occurrence that I agree with Jonger.

Also I do agree with Alek.

36 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Bullish about multiple snow chances that add up or the potential for a big event?  If it's the latter, I don't know... not a great look for appreciable chances for big storms in northern IL imo.

Bullish about multiple snow chances that add up or the potential for a big event?  If it's the latter, I don't know... not a great look for appreciable chances for big storms in northern IL imo.
Multiple chances that add up. Agree on it not being a great look for big storms.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Multiple chances that add up. Agree on it not being a great look for big storms.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Seems reasonable.  There are a number of disturbances progged in/near the area in coming days.  I'd call it the "throw **** at the wall" pattern.  

^^^ I'm almost always game for snow-on-snow tho, so I'll take 1-3 at a time. Maybe we get lucky and the 4-6th wave becomes more juiced like the Dec 13th storm did for some. Twice I penny, nickel, dimed my way to approx 6" depth. Be nice to raise the bar during Feb. Certainly looks likely I beat last Feb's paltry 2.9" total. 

Archived