• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

I wouldn’t even get upset if I lived south of the 42nd parallel. I mean you have to understand winter is not a guarantee. Heck, it’s not a guarantee south of the 45th. We don’t live that far north. Detroit is as north as Rome,Italy. Also the last 20 winters. Standards have risen. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s this winter we are seeing now is pretty much exactly how it was back then. Except maybe that tiny spot in SEMI that has over achieved but close. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dmc76 said:

I wouldn’t even get upset if I lived south of the 42nd parallel. I mean you have to understand winter is not a guarantee. Heck, it’s not a guarantee south of the 45th. We don’t live that far north. Detroit is as north as Rome,Italy. Also the last 20 winters. Standards have risen. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s this winter we are seeing now is pretty much exactly how it was back then. Except maybe that tiny spot in SEMI that has over achieved but close. 

Even with the last two winters and 2011-12...the last decade is averaging just over a FOOT above avg. That's 125-130% of avg snowfall the last 10 years. Talk about elevated standards.

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Can't control the weather, its just weird that this is the 2nd year in a row Winter hit hard and early (this year much harder than last) and now we have a big midwinter thaw (this year less torchy). Just yesterday I realized a little snafu in my up North plans as well. Again...Southeast Michigan has done much better than most of the subforum and I always plan a snow trip in February, so my complaints are always in check. So yesterday I was looking at hotels...everything and i mean EVERYTHING is booked. The lack of snowdepth in northern lower and the southern UP has everyone flocking to the  northern UP. It makes it even more amazing that you have SO much on the ground there still when areas just to your south so little. And snowmobilers know it.

I think a lot of snowmobilers book up rooms way in advance in certain spots and then cancel right beforehand if they can't make it or conditions aren't right.   I know Jonger has said in the past he does this.  Also, the UP 200 sled dog race is in February, and I know that draws a big out of town crowd too.

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I think a lot of snowmobilers book up rooms way in advance in certain spots and then cancel right beforehand if they can't make it or conditions aren't right.   I know Jonger has said in the past he does this.  Also, the UP 200 sled dog race is in February, and I know that draws a big out of town crowd too.

That is a good point. But I've never come across this issue before, where everything was booked. I didn't go up in Feb 2014 or 15 because our snow was so deep but normally i always make a trip that time of year regardless how good our winter has been. This year i may not be able to, idk yet.

I always say i prefer backloaded winters. Dont get me wrong I love LOVE snow for the Christmas season but Thanksgiving to New Years is such a busy time of year. Between work, holiday activities/parties, and shoveling my huge driveway I didn't have time for as many winter walks as I'd like. Now when things are settled down to boring the thaw comes.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That is a good point. But I've never come across this issue before, where everything was booked. I didn't go up in Feb 2014 or 15 because our snow was so deep but normally i always make a trip that time of year regardless how good our winter has been. This year i may not be able to, idk yet.

I always say i prefer backloaded winters. Dont get me wrong I love LOVE snow for the Christmas season but Thanksgiving to New Years is such a busy time of year. Between work, holiday activities/parties, and shoveling my huge driveway I didn't have time for as many winter walks as I'd like. Now when things are settled down to boring the thaw comes.

It's 100% snowmobiles. What dates do you need, I might have a spare room in Newberry.

21 hours ago, cmillzz said:

Our climate is colder than it should be really, mainly due to the warm blob/perennial ridge out west along with the Arctic torching like there's no tomorrow. The fact that we even see monthly departures below the 1981-2010 normals is ridiculous in 2018.

dumb.

We have cold anomalies at any point in the year.

There were ridges pumping record highes into the Midwest in the 1800s.

This winter's a broken record, lol. That active pattern once modeled is slowly fading. Latest GFS is clipper central after the 5th which may or may not deliver, lol.

I'm all in for spring now. Sad to see storms just falling apart as we we get closer. What a **** winter!

13 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

This winter's a broken record, lol. That active pattern once modeled is slowly fading. Latest GFS is clipper central after the 5th which may or may not deliver, lol.

I'm all in for spring now. Sad to see storms just falling apart as we we get closer. What a **** winter!

Some did have 2011-12 as an analog, which caused a major cringe every time I saw it

46 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

This winter is wayyy better than 2011-12 here. Absolutely no similarities whatsoever lol. More similarities to 2010-11 than 2011-12:lol:

By glorified I should have clarified I meant much colder. As far as frequent snowfalls, lack of precipitation, lack of any exciting storm for our sub, lack of 6”+ snowfalls for our sub, it’s right up there. 

Youve been one of the lucky ones to cash in. A lot of us haven’t even cracked double digits in the snowfall department, although I think ORD did nail 10” on the head last week.  

53 minutes ago, Chambana said:

By glorified I should have clarified I meant much colder. As far as frequent snowfalls, lack of precipitation, lack of any exciting storm for our sub, lack of 6”+ snowfalls for our sub, it’s right up there. 

Youve been one of the lucky ones to cash in. A lot of us haven’t even cracked double digits in the snowfall department, although I think ORD did nail 10” on the head last week.  

Snow aside, I was referring to temps as well. Plus it wasn't a dry Winter here in 2011-12. Though admittedly I didn't pull up a region wide map.

So with ORD only at 10" with January almost over, I ran some stats to see what it suggests where things may end up when all is said and done. 

Hint... it's not good.  Actually, it's even worse than I imagined.  With some minor snow possible in the remaining days of January, I adjusted the criteria a bit to look at seasons with less than 12" through January.  In Chicago's official records, there have been 32 seasons that have entered February with less than 12". How many of those 32 years rallied to finish with above average snow?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

One.  Only 1 out of 32 rallied to finish snowier than average, which was 1899-1900.  And it barely made it by finishing mere tenths above average.  Some years did rally to within a few inches of average but many ended up like 6-12" or more below average.

So this winter is going to have to pull off something that has almost been unprecedented in order to reach/exceed average.

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So with ORD only at 10" with January almost over, I ran some stats to see what it suggests where things may end up when all is said and done. 

Hint... it's not good.  Actually, it's even worse than I imagined.  With some minor snow possible in the remaining days of January, I adjusted the criteria a bit to look at seasons with less than 12" through January.  In Chicago's official records, there have been 32 seasons that have entered February with less than 12". How many of those 32 years rallied to finish with above average snow?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

One.  Only 1 out of 32 rallied to finish snowier than average, which was 1899-1900.  And it barely made it by finishing mere tenths above average.  Some years did rally to within a few inches of average but many ended up like 6-12" or more below average.

So this winter is going to have to pull off something that has almost been unprecedented in order to reach/exceed average.

GHD III? Book it. :lol: 

22 minutes ago, blackrock said:

If anything, this winter has been almost a carbon copy of last winter. Locally, this winter has provided more snow and cold, but the timeline of how things have unfolded is extremely similar. January has been a complete YAAAAAWN.

Someone posted that the NPAC at 500 mb has been very similar to last winter and I too have noticed an uncanny parallel with how the winter has played out as well. The noted exception being the reversed QBO from last winter. Despite the yawn this month just like last year I'm going to end up with a pretty good snow tally after tonight's little surprise. The cold has allowed LES near the Lakeshore which was almost non-existent last winter. But we've seen the snow pack wiped out several times as well

Hey beavis, here's a gear grinder for you. Paducah is currently running ahead of ORD with snow, 12.4" to 10.0".  Checking Paducah's records, there has never been a year that they have outsnowed Chicago... although the Paducah records don't go back as far as what's available for Chicago.  

It would be pretty amazing if Paducah actually finishes ahead, but there's a ton of time to go.

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hey beavis, here's a gear grinder for you. Paducah is currently running ahead of ORD with snow, 12.4" to 10.0".  Checking Paducah's records, there has never been a year that they have outsnowed Chicago... although the Paducah records don't go back as far as what's available for Chicago.  

It would be pretty amazing if Paducah actually finishes ahead, but there's a ton of time to go.

No words...

I knew Jan was a bad month but surprising to see that Gaylord is on pace to for a record low for snowfall for Jan.

As of Monday morning, Gaylord had a mere 9.1 inches total for the month, well off its normal January average of 35 inches. In 1956, January had a monthly total of 10.3 inches and January 2010, Gaylord had a total of 15.4 inches.

Archived