• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

At the half way point of met winter I would have to give it a A so far for my area. It's been colder and snowier then normal up to this point. We had the most beautiful white Christmas anyone could ask for with 6-7" falling on Christmas Eve and another 5" or so falling on Christmas Day. The hardest I have ever seen it snow was Christmas Day at our house, couldn't see 250', crazy snow coming down for a while. Great ice everywhere for the ice fishing guys. Really good snow and ice up at our cabin for Christmas/New Years week, was able to ride on the lake this year for that week which is pretty unusual. Interested to see how the second half of the season ends up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Something about seeing multiple Lakes Cutters on the long range enrages me.....Even the UP gets rain from them.

Yeah... I can’t wait for 35° and heavy rain. Long range looks disgusting by winter standards unless you live in the UP, Northern WI and MN - they’ll be measuring snow in feet by The beginning of February.

Amazing how lows can be five to ten degrees below zero multiple times, be locked into a tight arctic airmass with highs only in the single digits to teens at most - yet we get absolutely NO synoptic system to move into said airmass. Happens all the time in Canada, but just won’t produce between here and there. Then, it warms up to JUST above freezing and we get nailed with moisture laden systems that would otherwise produce amazing snows, yet... it rains torrents because we’re 5° too warm. 

This is going to be “that winter” where it was brutally cold, ended up below average... yet managed to warm up just enough to rain for synoptic systems, followed by more cold and clear weather. Yuck. Cash me out, I’m ready for spring.

41 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Something about seeing multiple Lakes Cutters on the long range enrages me.....Even the UP gets rain from them.

That 12z GFS was putrid, lol. Even the 12z CMC was terrible. 

Really hoping that doesn't end up being the case. Would be horrible! Had an eerie resemblance to last winter's woes after December. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Yeah... I can’t wait for 35° and heavy rain. Long range looks disgusting by winter standards. 

Amazing how lows can be five to ten degrees below zero multiple times, be locked into a tight attic airmass with highs only in the single digits to teens - yet we get absolutely NO synoptic system to move into said airmass. Happens all the time in Canada, but just won’t produce between here and there. Then, it warms up to JUST above freezing and we get torrents of moisture laden systems that would produce amazing snows, yet... it rains. This is going to be “that winter” where it was brutally cold, ended up below average... yet managed to warm up just enough to rain for synoptic systems, followed by more cold and clear weather. Yuck. 

Yup. Thankful for Lake Michigan, as it has supplied for me here. So, can't complain about that. Though, I have yet to see a synoptic system drop more than 2 or so inches here this winter. I try to tell myself, "Look at the South and the east coast...they are warm, but then they get cold and snowstorms this winter." So, I think, well...perhaps what we need is to get into that warmth, so we can get snowstorms when the cold air mixes in...but nope, doesn't seem to work that way in the Midwest. The dry air always rushes in. Seems to be the climo of the Midwest. I ask locals if this area has always missed out on the storms...if it was like this when they were younger. Almost everybody says NO WAY. They said it was also not normal to have these thaws where we lost our 18 inch snowpacks in two days (has happened twice this winter).

On the flip side of things... finally excellent continuity on the globals for GL cutters lol.

Blackrock, I’m with you. The lakes have saved face for both of us. Eventually the pattern will break, whether it be yet this winter or following years. I still think someone (in the sub) stand a chance for something sneaking up on them and dropping some heavy snow yet in the coming weeks. 

Kind of a bummer that tracking is pretty much shut down for the next 2 weeks and probably longer.    Once we get into mid and late FEB, my desire for snow begins to diminish drastically.   Thoughts turn to outdoors, spring, and severe wx.

That all being said, I'm thankful for this recent period of snow and winter wx.   I've often complained recently that it's been hard to get a real December and January winter.   We finally had that.   Snow amounts weren't that crazy but still a great run when compared to recent years.   From here on out it's blockbuster or bust!

This winter easily beats the last few I can remember. Brutal cold, ice, sleet, snow, blowing snow. We have 5-6 inches on the ground in most spots with higher drifts. Our creek froze up completely, thawed before last week's storm, and quickly froze up again. If we can manage one good 6+ storm before April it deserves an A. 

2 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Yeah... I can’t wait for 35° and heavy rain. Long range looks disgusting by winter standards unless you live in the UP, Northern WI and MN - they’ll be measuring snow in feet by The beginning of February.

Amazing how lows can be five to ten degrees below zero multiple times, be locked into a tight arctic airmass with highs only in the single digits to teens at most - yet we get absolutely NO synoptic system to move into said airmass. Happens all the time in Canada, but just won’t produce between here and there. Then, it warms up to JUST above freezing and we get nailed with moisture laden systems that would otherwise produce amazing snows, yet... it rains torrents because we’re 5° too warm. 

This is going to be “that winter” where it was brutally cold, ended up below average... yet managed to warm up just enough to rain for synoptic systems, followed by more cold and clear weather. Yuck. Cash me out, I’m ready for spring.

I know or it is suppressed and the south gets their good snows for their standards while we just get crappy 1-3 2-4 3-6 at best winter weather advisory nuisance events over and over. Miss the winters when we'd have at least 1 big widespread synoptic system. Seems like it's been like 3 to 4 years pretty miserable if u are a snow lover.

8 hours ago, slow poke said:

At the half way point of met winter I would have to give it a A so far for my area. It's been colder and snowier then normal up to this point. We had the most beautiful white Christmas anyone could ask for with 6-7" falling on Christmas Eve and another 5" or so falling on Christmas Day. The hardest I have ever seen it snow was Christmas Day at our house, couldn't see 250', crazy snow coming down for a while. Great ice everywhere for the ice fishing guys. Really good snow and ice up at our cabin for Christmas/New Years week, was able to ride on the lake this year for that week which is pretty unusual. Interested to see how the second half of the season ends up.

:huh: You do realize this is the complaints and whining thread, right?? 

I'd give the winter a D+ at this point. Would've gone lower had it not been for the perfectly timed snow around Christmas.

It took until that Dec 24th storm to get a snow that didn't melt or sublimate away within hours after ending.  My seasonal total just crossed into double digits with the most recent snow, which is still running below average.  My biggest storm so far has been less than 4".  Also, while it has certainly been cold, we didn't really get in on the more extreme stuff... heck, places south of here had colder temps.

2 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Torrents of rain? :huh:. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have heard this complaint this winter from someone in the Great Lakes. Am I that out of touch with surrounding areas? Because we have had HARDLY ANY rain. We have had less than a quarter inch of rain here since December 1st. Part of the reason winter snowfall is over 10" above normal and winter precip nearly 1.50" below normal to date. That and the dry, powdery nature of the snow.

I know this is the complaint thread though. Now that we are creeping towards mid-winter, this is the annual time of year where winter is over type posts start creeping into winter weenies minds, as well the old sun angle comments, so the timing of this thaw is pretty bad as it only adds to it. We are not even halfway thru the snow season, so I will just go with the odds.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd give the winter a D+ at this point. Would've gone lower had it not been for the perfectly timed snow around Christmas.

It took until that Dec 24th storm to get a snow that didn't melt or sublimate away within hours after ending.  My seasonal total just crossed into double digits with the most recent snow, which is still running below average.  My biggest storm so far has been less than 4".  Also, while it has certainly been cold, we didn't really get in on the more extreme stuff... heck, places south of here had colder temps.

I say this every year and I remain with it this year. I don't like mid-winter grading. So Ill stay out of it. Its definitely up there for here, probably B+ or A- TO DATE, but so much time left it could go either way.

44 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Atleast then there could be a severe/tstm aspect added into the mix... this just sucks. 

And as for torrents of rain... tis’ on the horizon.

Fifty shades of January 2017 coming up in the next 1-2 weeks. :lol:

Had it not been for all the LES enhancement this winter, I would have lost it by now. This is the 4th crappiest winter since 2011. Must be a new record. 

My only complaint is with the computer models that swung wildly last week from a 2 footer to western NY blitz and this week stay steady eddy with the rain storm this weekend. Where is that se trend when you need it? :devilsmiley:

Gonna be hard ( not impossible )  to knock down my winter grade of a A. That can be thanked to the Christmas eve/day snowstorm which was a first for me. I was not here when the last one happened. A white Christmas is a huge part of my winter grade. Got that and then some.

Last week's storm was an economic disaster for the lower peninsula.

Nobody goes to northern Michigan from October through Memorial day if there is no snow. 

Stayed at a hotel in Gaylord passing through and there usually aren't any rooms. I was only one of five people in the entire hotel. LOL

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Last week's storm was an economic disaster for the lower peninsula.

Nobody goes to northern Michigan from October through Memorial day if there is no snow. 

Stayed at a hotel in Gaylord passing through and there usually aren't any rooms. I was only one of five people in the entire hotel. LOL

A coworker said she was in the eastern UP this weekend, and that we had more snow here than they did.

6 hours ago, blackrock said:

A coworker said she was in the eastern UP this weekend, and that we had more snow here than they did.

She must have been referring to the southern part of the eastern UP. North of M28 there is 2 to 3 feet of snow. I was up there last weekend as well.

7 hours ago, blackrock said:

I only have about 7-8" otg currently, that torch and rain really did a number on us and we missed out on the last cold outbreak as the winds were mainly out of the N or NNW which is a no go for my area. So I would not be surprised if areas along the coast and down towards extreme SWL have more snow than us.  And Jonger is correct, the torch really did a number on the economy up here, it happens every year pretty much, we were fortunate to have a great X-Mas and New Years week however. 

38 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

I only have about 7-8" otg currently, that torch and rain really did a number on us and we missed out on the last cold outbreak as the winds were mainly out of the N or NNW which is a no go for my area. So I would not be surprised if areas along the coast and down towards extreme SWL have more snow than us.  And Jonger is correct, the torch really did a number on the economy up here, it happens every year pretty much, we were fortunate to have a great X-Mas and New Years week however. 

Yeah, that torch destroyed our snowpack with the high dewpoints. December was rocking with lots of snow, but January has been boring. The northerly winds most of the month have kept the snow band mostly offshore. Yawn. We have had some nice southerly flow enhanced snows (very short duration, but heavy) that have salvaged the winter here. Not sure how I would grade the winter. The intense thaws have been disappointing.

Unfortunately, it looks like this upcoming weekend is going to obliterate most of your remaining snowpack.

26 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Yeah, that torch destroyed our snowpack with the high dewpoints. December was rocking with lots of snow, but January has been boring. The northerly winds most of the month have kept the snow band mostly offshore. Yawn. We have had some nice southerly flow enhanced snows (very short duration, but heavy) that have salvaged the winter here. Not sure how I would grade the winter. The intense thaws have been disappointing.

Unfortunately, it looks like this upcoming weekend is going to obliterate most of your remaining snowpack.

Yea, definitely gonna be toast after the next brief torch /rain over the late weekend.  

Archived