Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Snowstorms said:

With the oncoming torch, might be a long while till we see the potential for another "winter storm" in our area. Brutal. Absolutely brutal! :fulltilt:

Nah I am cool with that, I would rather it torch than have arctic air with nothing on the ground, tundra isn't appealing to me :lol:

I feel like the weather models have been super inconsistent. All the supercomputers have better spatial resolution than years ago, but it doesn't matter much if they have a bad forecast of a snowstorm, for populated areas. This model-watching is like 2008 or something. Yeah, and this time, we can even see the Euro precip maps and snow maps and it might not have helped so much!

Interesting (bone-chilling) fact. In 1982 I lived in Racine Wisconsin. According to NWS NOWDATA, Jan 11, 1982, Racine had a high of 0 and a low of -31. Chicago had a high of -4 and a low of -26 on January 10th. I think this -31F at Racine actually occurred on January 10, 1982. I have never been in a place with a colder temperature. This also was the day when the Bengals played the Chargers in the playoffs with the 2nd coldest temperature of any NFL game, with -9 in Cincinnati.

22 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I feel like the weather models have been super inconsistent. All the supercomputers have better spatial resolution than years ago, but it doesn't matter much if they have a bad forecast of a snowstorm, for populated areas. This model-watching is like 2008 or something. Yeah, and this time, we can even see the Euro precip maps and snow maps and it might not have helped so much!

nah it was better in 2008 it seems like watching models and not seeing all the inconsistency for every storm

With the oncoming torch, might be a long while till we see the potential for another "winter storm" in our area. Brutal. Absolutely brutal! :fulltilt:
What torch? We're going back into the freezer for at least a week after today.

On top of that...50 degrees at 3AM in Wisconsin in mid-January, and not a whiff of a severe threat anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mimillman, you wanted some futility records? Here's something.

Chicago has only had 2 seasons without a calendar day snowfall of 2" or more.  It happened back to back in 1920-21 and 1921-22.  Some years took until March to get it.  Digging deeper into the data from 1920-21 and 1921-22 and using historical maps to judge the weather patterns, it is apparent that while there were no 2" calendar day snowfalls, there were some 2" snows that just didn't all fall in the same day.  So we can say that Chicago has not had a winter where there wasn't at least one 2" "event" at some point.

So far in 2017-18, there has not been a 2" snowfall at ORD.  There is still so much time to go though and at this point it is hard to believe that would actually have a serious chance of happening.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago has only had 2 seasons without a calendar day snowfall of 2" or more.  It happened back to back in 1920-21 and 1921-22.  Some years took until March to get it.  Digging deeper into the data from 1920-21 and 1921-22 and using historical maps to judge the weather patterns, it is apparent that while there were no 2" calendar day snowfalls, there were some 2" snows that just didn't all fall in the same day.  So we can say that Chicago has not had a winter where there wasn't at least one 2" "event" at some point.

So far in 2017-18, there has not been a 2" snowfall at ORD.  There is still so much time to go though and at this point it is hard to believe that would actually have a serious chance of happening.

Good info.

Where do you get the data from?

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

It was. I said Id give ma nature a free pass though as its been a good winter. But thats her only pass allowed lol. I would be pulling my hair out in Chicago/Milwaukee. Hopefully Mondays clipper produces for all.

Considering what the models originally showed and then what they showed even in the near short term, this is worse than not getting snow. Going from model depictions over a foot, to even the 2-4 we were forecast last night. To end up with .6" I'd rather have no snow than a Lucy and the football misdirection.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

At Detroit there have been a few winters where the largest storm was under 3", but never under 2". The worst was 1957-58 when the largest storm was only 2.1". It was literally a 30-hour grinder of pixie dust in mid-Feb though, so the largest 24-hr snowfall that winter was only 1.8".

Since 1880, there were 4 winters where the largest storm was under 3":

1881-82: 2.6" (Jan 25)

1937-38: 2.4" (Mar 4)

1948-48: 2.8" (Jan 26)

1957-58: 2.1" (Feb 14-16)

The last time our biggest storm was under 4" was 1971-72. So these things are possible but very rare.

The Chowder Heads are probably gloating from their Olympus snow thrown's, drunk about their Patriot golden boy and smirking at our "Hot Topic" threads over 3 inch snows with a "Let them eat cake" arrogance of Silver Spoon fed prep school pansies but dammit, we invented basketball.  You're welcome :rolleyes:

its been extremely enjoyable following all the locations that don't see much snow getting nice hits this year.  The pictures and updates I received from a friend in the Charleston, SC. area were incredible and on par with the GHD storm chaos and excitement   The enjoyment and memories that storm brought really came at a prefect time for them.  Already talking about moving north!    Snow brings great therapy, especially in **** hole times.

Archived