Newest Member
    joxey
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Not sure what you mean about a widespread snowstorm, but there have been plenty. Our sub has too wife of a geographical area to get a storm that would please all lol

Agree.  Off the top of my head, the January 99 storm is probably the closest thing to a storm to please the most people, but even that really didn't hit EVERYBODY with significant snow.  I'm not as familiar with the storms out east, but I doubt they get very many that bury the whole area (from the coast well into the interior/Canadian border).

In comparing the Midwest to the East coast (I grew up in PA), the Midwest tends to have systems that have a pretty narrow band of snow that pounds a smaller area, while many miss out. Thus, it definitely seems less exciting for a larger amount of people. However, systems tend to zip through more frequently than on the east coast, so there are more opportunities to get snow in the Midwest. The east coast gets the big dog storms...but it can be weeks between snowfalls. It's definitely about perspective and preferences.

I would just like to take a moment and apologize to all of you. I am originally from Michigan but have lived in the Southeast for nearly a decade now. A few years ago my parents moved back to Michigan.

The past 3 years, I have come to visit my parents NE of Detroit the day after a snowfall event. Over these 3 years, I have seen a total of 1.5 inches of snowfall over 6 (soon to be 8) weeks around the holidays. I have seen several grinch storms, as well as a sleetfest in Dec. 2015.

It is clear that I am to blame. I fully expect the possible colder trends between Christmas and New Year's to dissipate, or for us to merely get dry cold air here. I promise that I am leaving before New Years this year, so hopefully y'all will have a snowy New Years Eve.

Truly depressing as a snow lover by birth to see all of the snow I get to see melt year after year right before Christmas.

44 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

I would just like to take a moment and apologize to all of you. I am originally from Michigan but have lived in the Southeast for nearly a decade now. A few years ago my parents moved back to Michigan.

The past 3 years, I have come to visit my parents NE of Detroit the day after a snowfall event. Over these 3 years, I have seen a total of 1.5 inches of snowfall over 6 (soon to be 8) weeks around the holidays. I have seen several grinch storms, as well as a sleetfest in Dec. 2015.

It is clear that I am to blame. I fully expect the possible colder trends between Christmas and New Year's to dissipate, or for us to merely get dry cold air here. I promise that I am leaving before New Years this year, so hopefully y'all will have a snowy New Years Eve.

Truly depressing as a snow lover by birth to see all of the snow I get to see melt year after year right before Christmas.

Sounds like it's time to break that streak! :lol:

2 hours ago, Tarheel17 said:

Are you here yet? I was just lamenting that 10 inches of snow on the ground 6 days ago is gone. But better than the rest of the Midwest who has barely had any. It does suck. Last year we had all that snow and then it was murky and drippy on Christmas (but still white) then gone the next day. Stay positive though lol

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Are you here yet? I was just lamenting that 10 inches of snow on the ground 6 days ago is gone. But better than the rest of the Midwest who has barely had any. It does suck. Last year we had all that snow and then it was murky and drippy on Christmas (but still white) then gone the next day. Stay positive though lol

Indeed I am. I flew up on the afternoon of the 16th. My parents had a couple of inches from the last clipper that morning, and by the time my flight landed it has only been melting lol.

I am optimistic, but prepared for cold rain and missed opportunities. The SE has conditioned me for this.

1 hour ago, Tarheel17 said:

Indeed I am. I flew up on the afternoon of the 16th. My parents had a couple of inches from the last clipper that morning, and by the time my flight landed it has only been melting lol.

I am optimistic, but prepared for cold rain and missed opportunities. The SE has conditioned me for this.

Oh my. Lol. Sorry about your luck. At least you got to see snow on the ground. No offense but please do not extend your stay :lol:. Joking aside, one good thing I have learned in MI is that even in a horrible pattern we usually get something. Time will tell.

Fellow Great Lakes people, if you had snow, did any of it survive this thaw? My neighborhood is still covered under about 5 inches of snow, which is going to turn into a glacier soon once we drop into the 20s tonight. Pretty happy about this...as it will serve as a great, cold base for the new snows to come over the next couple of weeks. Today was a day of many around here pushing snow piles back (myself included) to make way for the snow to come.

16 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Fellow Great Lakes people, if you had snow, did any of it survive this thaw? My neighborhood is still covered under about 5 inches of snow, which is going to turn into a glacier soon once we drop into the 20s tonight. Pretty happy about this...as it will serve as a great, cold base for the new snows to come over the next couple of weeks. Today was a day of many around here pushing snow piles back (myself included) to make way for the snow to come.

Patches and piles left here.

12 minutes ago, blackrock said:

It's patchy across the 94 corridor from here west. Lots of piles n drifts tho, so it's winter for this lat. I never expected this high ratio clipper snow to survive, and I've enjoyed the clear and dry roads aside from this morning's black ice ofc. I will say that most ponds have remained frozen despite 40's, and more snow is seen in wooded areas

6 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

It's patchy across the 94 corridor from here west. Lots of piles n drifts tho, so it's winter for this lat. I never expected this high ratio clipper snow to survive, and I've enjoyed the clear and dry roads aside from this morning's black ice ofc. I will say that most ponds have remained frozen despite 40's, and more snow is seen in wooded areas

You guys down there were definitely in the warmth longer than up here. We didn't go above freezing at all until overnight Monday night/Tuesday morning.

45 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Just piles left. Though we were warmer down here. Peaked at 10" on the ground Wednesday evening.

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

Just piles left. Though we were warmer down here. Peaked at 10" on the ground Wednesday evening.

Wow...that is a lot of snow that disappeared so quickly. We were mostly in the lower 40s, and it was overcast most of the day, which helped reduce some melting. Even during thaws, sunshine is very rare over here.

2 hours ago, blackrock said:

1-2" of glacier in the twin cities after briefly tagging 40 yesterday. A few bare patches but the yard is 90% covered, and we won't go above freezing again for the foreseeable future. I have noticed these thaw days don't impact the snowpack or lake ice as much being a few degrees latitude further north in winter. It's nice.  

25 minutes ago, ORDIOWPITMSP said:

1-2" of glacier in the twin cities after briefly tagging 40 yesterday. A few bare patches but the yard is 90% covered, and we won't go above freezing again for the foreseeable future. I have noticed these thaw days don't impact the snowpack or lake ice as much being a few degrees latitude further north in winter. It's nice.  

Looks both ways, makes sure the coast is clear. *whispers"sun angle"

2 hours ago, ConvectiveIA said:

Hi I am in Des Moines Iowa. The biggest we have seen in the last two winters was 3 inches in mid March 2017. I find it sad. I was in Reno NV in 2009-2011 and our snow was measured in feet.

Wow, that's pretty bad for you guys.  Hope that streak of futility ends sometime in the near future.

7 hours ago, blackrock said:

Wow...that is a lot of snow that disappeared so quickly. We were mostly in the lower 40s, and it was overcast most of the day, which helped reduce some melting. Even during thaws, sunshine is very rare over here.

Saturday it warmed to the upper 30s in the morning before settling back. Sunday it got to the mid 30s and hovered there before slowly rising overnight. We spent Monday on a slow rise from the upper 30s to mid 40s and then stayed in the low-mid 40s all night Monday night and tagged 50 yesterday before falling back. No sun at all til yesterday. Mind you starting Sunday the dewpoints were near the air temp or slightly below it. So that will do it<_<. I mean im very p*ssed but i also am not surprised, especially during a la nina. I suspect we do that several more times this winter lol.  The people who say "I'm glad the snow melted", theyre even more irritating.  You have already had to drive in it and shovel it, so what is it hurting sitting on the grass? However, at this time I am trying to be on the positive side, especially knowing how we really have had more snow than most other places so far this season. I also have confidence, living in Michigan  that with cold will come at least some snow. Now if we're sitting in the 2nd week of January, bitterly cold, and absolutely no snow on the ground... I will be furious lol

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Saturday it warmed to the upper 30s in the morning before settling back. Sunday it got to the mid 30s and hovered there before slowly rising overnight. We spent Monday on a slow rise from the upper 30s to mid 40s and then stayed in the low-mid 40s all night Monday night and tagged 50 yesterday before falling back. No sun at all til yesterday. Mind you starting Sunday the dewpoints were near the air temp or slightly below it. So that will do it<_<. I mean im very p*ssed but i also am not surprised, especially during a la nina. I suspect we do that several more times this winter lol.  The people who say "I'm glad the snow melted", theyre even more irritating.  You have already had to drive in it and shovel it, so what is it hurting sitting on the grass? However, at this time I am trying to be on the positive side, especially knowing how we really have had more snow than most other places so far this season. I also have confidence, living in Michigan  that with cold will come at least some snow. Now if we're sitting in the 2nd week of January, bitterly cold, and absolutely no snow on the ground... I will be furious lol

Snow melt is so depressing to me...so hopefully we don't do it too much more! I noticed yesterday that even though the temp lagged from falling much in the afternoon, as soon as the dewpoint went into the 20s, snow melt halted. As expected, our snowpack is now a glacier. It will help for future.......thaws..... :( 

I have also been reminding myself that Michigan as a whole has done much better than the rest of the Midwest in terms of snowfall. Hopefully the rest can join in on the fun.

Here is a webcam in my area showing what it generally looks like. As you can see, still a solid snow cover...though it definitely doesn't have the fresh look to it anymore. Along all the busy roads there isn't much either. As soon as you get away from the malls and more urban areas, this is the look.

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/Jamar123/1/show.html

I was less annoyed with the melt-down in Dec '13. I think because we had at least scored a nice S stream system (a near warning event for mby-IWX would've pink boxed me, GRR gave out their fave-the purple headline). That broke a 2 yr drought of such synoptic snowstorms. Well, guess what, I've got another almost 2 yr streak going and I was hoping this season would kick-start with a decent synoptic system. Alas, we're still waiting for that and until we see something different from Ma Nature, she's saying S Mich peeps just be happy you have piles to look at! 

12 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I was less annoyed with the melt-down in Dec '13. I think because we had at least scored a nice S stream system (a near warning event for mby-IWX would've pink boxed me, GRR gave out their fave-the purple headline). That broke a 2 yr drought of such synoptic snowstorms. Well, guess what, I've got another almost 2 yr streak going and I was hoping this season would kick-start with a decent synoptic system. Alas, we're still waiting for that and until we see something different from Ma Nature, she's saying S Mich peeps just be happy you have piles to look at! 

All meltdowns are annoying to me. Yes there's plenty of piles in parking lots and some in neighborhoods but it's nothing to be happy about. It's crazy so much snow melted without a big torch, just persistent mild air and dews. Michigan does snow well in cold patterns though so here's to  hoping for a white Christmas!

23 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Were you "Nickysixes" or something like that who lived in Traverse City? Whatever happened to that guy? He used to post pictures around his home of all the snow...

Archived