Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

Part of the problem was that it was such a marginal setup temp-wise, that it easily could have gone the other way.

The other part of the problem was pinpointing the location of the heaviest precipitation. For example, just yesterday, I was in the bullseye.

I got online and watched the live newscast for down there. The reporter happened to be driving through....Newnan. :) I immediately thought of you. It looked like it was sort of just sleeting there?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny that those way deep in the south are getting decent snow earlier than many northern cities. Definitely a freak storm for them. I mean no need to worry for northern cities as snow is coming for many months ahead and this could likely be the only snow for the season if not years for some of those locations. But its crazy that they are getting it first. But as a weather observer what really impresses me is that they actual have one of the "snow saber" sticks in Mobile :lol:. Every time I see a deep South snow, even the nws measures with a ruler. 

If we were to take a time machine back to July and we then had a crystal ball, and with that ball we were only able to get a single piece of random weather information- and that ended up being that Mobile, Corpus, northern MX, NOLA, ATL, etc had measurable snow on this day, I think we’d be excited for the winter to come. So... I’m excited I guess? If I play thought tricks on myself like that anyway.... otherwise my new fat bike with studded 5” tires and bar mitts and clip on snow boots are sitting in the garage fantasizing for snow...... while I sit in my house looking at south Texas snow

. Pro

I’ll admit... since these southern tropical cities are picking up their first ever snowfall - that we ALL will be in for a doozie at some point this winter. Likely earlier rather than later. 

Freak storm for them down south for sure. Mobile?? Atlanta?? The northwest panhandle of Florida?! - and all the way up the eastern seaboard. Impressive. 

10 hours ago, blackrock said:

I got online and watched the live newscast for down there. The reporter happened to be driving through....Newnan. :) I immediately thought of you. It looked like it was sort of just sleeting there?

Yep. We had mixing issues all throughout the day yesterday (we kept flipping between snow, rain and sleet). But there was actually a bit of glaze on the sidewalks and roadways because of the sleet by yesterday evening.

That said, everything's covered in snow this morning, though nothing like the Northside of the city. The totals coming in look to be a widespread 8-10" up there. 

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Yep. We had mixing issues all throughout the day yesterday (we kept flipping between snow, rain and sleet). But there was actually a bit of glaze on the sidewalks and roadways because of the sleet by yesterday evening.

That said, everything's covered in snow this morning, though nothing like the Northside of the city. The totals coming in look to be a widespread 8-10" up there. 

How much did you get?

20 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, I don't know if I'd go millions.  Seems too high.  Would be interesting to figure out though.

I vaguely remembered an early southern snow sometime where we didn't have snow in the north. Couldn't remember anything else though. Lo and behold...I read that this was the first time Houston has seen snow since getting 1" on Dec 4, 2009. The winter of 2009-10 had the 2nd latest first flakes on record for Detroit. So our first trace was Dec 4th, the same day (our first measurable was Dec 7th). Needless to say, Detroit outsnowed Houston that winter 43.7" to 1" (and 403.3" to 1.7" since lol). But that winter the deep south had white ground before many in the north. I do not remember the regional extent of that snow. So millions to 1? No. But definitely rare and freak. This season, several northern cities (Pittsburgh, Albany) have only seen a trace while Georgia has had 8"+ in areas. I don't know if there's a way to figure out odds. But I'll bet a million dollars that Albany (currently a T) will beat Birmingham AL (currently 4.0") by March lol.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's cool. I know you missed winter lol

:lol:

This event was cool from the perspective of how unusual this much snow is down there, especially in one storm so early in the season. But I'm glad it'll be gone by the end of the day. I do hope to see plenty of snow when I come back for Christmas though. 

BTW, rapid clearing and full sunshine behind a rain/snow event is awfully nice. :P

1 hour ago, Indystorm said:

And NWS IND has erroneously posted a graphical nowcast from Nov. 5 concerning svr t storms. on this Sat, afternoon. Ahh, this computer age!

Yeah that was weird. I had the proper nowcast up in the window and sent it. Then we started getting calls, etc about severe storms! :lol: I love technology!

4 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

Where's the "Dislike this" button?    I guess the "and Surrounding States" didn't mean anything to you?

Bruh. I'm not talking about that thread in particular(and you and I both know its mostly Ohio peeps posting there anyways), there's at least one other, and again, it doesn't bother me, and I was curious if there was a particular reason from the past why this was. No need to get upset over it.

6 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I'm not sure why Ohio peeps think they need their own threads. Not trying to be ignorant(EDIT: It also doesnt really bother me), I'm legitimately curious as to why this is. 

Ohio's interests (and really the southern areas of this forum) are often at odds with posters farther north.  People from different areas used to go at it when everybody was in the same threads.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Ohio's interests (and really the southern areas of this forum) are often at odds with posters farther north.  People from different areas used to go at it when everybody was in the same threads.  

That's what I was thinking was the most likely reason, which was supported by the first response I got. Given that they are more aligned with the East coast states than many of the other states in this sub, I can see where some bickering might arise due to warm sector placement. It only came to mind really out of curiosity and not much else.

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

The snow sticking here is kind a#& backwards, covering the roads immediately but having trouble sticking to grass.  Must still be some sub surface warmth.

The flakes were so fine that they settled to the ground, not that they weren't sticking to the grass. I picked up 1.6" and some lawns still have grass tips depending how long the grass was. 

Archived