Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Wow, Winter Storm Warnings for Extreme South Texas, when was the last time that happened? Considering many places in the sub haven't even seen any meaaningful snow yet. 

bro.png

And thus, the old "hurricane in summer, snow the following winter" theory rears its' head for Southern Texas area people again.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The odds they get snow before us let alone accumulating snow, you are talking astronomical odds for those two factors crossing. Easily in the millions to 1.

I doubt it's that high.

It's definitely rare, but it's still luck of the draw.... out of a very large deck of cards.

I can recall several years where Amarillo cashes in before traditional snowy locations get anything notable. 

Just now, Jonger said:

I doubt it's that high.

It's definitely rare, but it's still luck of the draw.... out of a very large deck of cards.

I can recall several years where Amarillo cashes in before traditional snowy locations get anything notable. 

Amarillo isn't Corpus Christi/San Antonio/Brownsville getting snow. Come on man, you are smarter than this...

Just now, josh_4184 said:

The roads are a complete mess with wrecks and cars everywhere, basically complete gridlock. 

Even here in Newnan, I'm not taking any chances.

I brought everything I needed yesterday so that I wouldn't have to go out today. Maybe late Saturday at the earliest. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, I don't know if I'd go millions.  Seems too high.  Would be interesting to figure out though.

Well look at it this way, how often do we have accumulated snow here or Chicago by now. 0.6 here and that all fell yesterday, ORD is at .1 for the year. I mean it is pretty rare to not have an inch by now for both locations. Then you combine this with the fact that this is about a 1 in 500 year storm down there. Have to remember it isn't that it is even snowing, it is snowing this early, and in great quantity for them too.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Well look at it this way, how often do we have accumulated snow here or Chicago by now. 0.6 here and that all fell yesterday, ORD is at .1 for the year. I mean it is pretty rare to not have an inch by now for both locations. Then you combine this with the fact that this is about a 1 in 500 year storm down there. Have to remember it isn't that it is even snowing, it is snowing this early, and in great quantity for them too.

Unusual, but not that rare to not have an inch in Chicago.  There's been like 40 years that took until December 10 or later.

Jon brought up a subject in the LES thread that I have a question about. I just bought two lots, one on each side of my property. That means that I have more sidewalk to shovel, so I'm contemplating buying a snow blower. I'd like recommendations. Remember, we average less than three feet of snow for an entire year and 6" snows only occur every other year. Therefore, I don't feel that I need a huge, expensive one. Does anyone have any experience with electrics? They are cheaper in price, but am wondering about their dependability and power.

41 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Jon brought up a subject in the LES thread that I have a question about. I just bought two lots, one on each side of my property. That means that I have more sidewalk to shovel, so I'm contemplating buying a snow blower. I'd like recommendations. Remember, we average less than three feet of snow for an entire year and 6" snows only occur every other year. Therefore, I don't feel that I need a huge, expensive one. Does anyone have any experience with electrics? They are cheaper in price, but am wondering about their dependability and power.

When I mentioned electrics, I was talking about lithium powered. I don't want that confuse with plug in.

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc4.html

Some of the reports are absurd, like 7" in Corpus Christi for example.

That's only from 3pm.

Since then, a widespread 5-8" is now being reported in the northern suburbs of Atlanta this far (2" per hour rates currently), and still several more hours of heavy snow to go.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I haven't looked but I wonder if the forecasters down there were having to play catch up.  

Highly anomalous events such as this have a way of being underdone.

Part of the problem was that it was such a marginal setup temp-wise, that it easily could have gone the other way.

The other part of the problem was pinpointing the location of the heaviest precipitation. For example, just yesterday, I was in the bullseye.

Archived