Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I just think some patience is needed.  The longer range looks to have multiple troughs dumping into the west, which should get things going at least for parts of the Plains/Midwest.  That would open the door to tracks that could keep a lot of us on the warmer side, but the hope would be for a gradual step down over time.  I see a lot of people on the east coast getting excited about the upcoming pattern, but I say get in line and wait your turn lol

This would be the only way things could be bad for this region, if we get jumped and the east coast gets stuff.

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I always considered front/back loaded was in reference to snowfall.

I guess I would too... within reason.  I'd have trouble calling a winter back loaded if Jan/Feb were a furnace with snows that melted quickly.  

Back loaded seems like a lean toward climo anyway.  I mean, without checking, I'm guessing that most of us average more snow in Jan and Feb than Dec.  Certainly doesn't always play out like that though. Like last winter, which I would consider to be front loaded (or maybe bookend in my case since I had a big LES in March).

37 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I always see back loaded as talking about snowfall. So that would be a perfect example.

I agree with this assessment. 

Edit: Hoosier is also probably right in that what is considered “backloaded” might more accurately be considered “climo” when looking at normal temps and precip

WSW heck even WWA have been hard to come by the last few years. We did have a Blizzard Warning I believe 2/20/16 which ended up being 3” of wet slop and minimal wind.

Does look like a change in the current pattern around the second week of December, until then Zzzzzz and above normal temps. 

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Does the Euro still have a bias toward burying upper lows in the sw US?  The GFS is trying to bring the western energy into the central US around December 6th, but the euro wants to pinch it off and park it over SoCal.

Yes it does, it is due to over amplification of the troughs/lows.

6 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Max/min at Denver today was 81/47, a departure of +31. 

The max of 81 is an all-time November high...and it occurred on the 27th of the month. :o

That's impressive.  The latest 80 degree temp to occur in the calendar year had been November 16, and that was just last year.

Tomorrow night is the 11th anniversary of one of my favorite snowstorms.  This was an incredibly difficult forecast for DVN, as there was a very sharp drop-off in amounts on the northwest side of the deformation band.  Model run to run differences meant the difference between nothing, or a warning criteria event.  Finally by that night it became clear that the snow would back far enough northwest to impact us pretty significantly as the storm deepened over eastern IL.  That last minute deepening of the surface low is what shoved the band northwestward enough to get us into that heavy snow.  It seemed to take forever to get here, but the snow finally backed in from the southeast just before midnight.  It went from nothing to moderate snowfall in a very short time, and the winds quickly picked up as well with the arrival of the snow.  Snowed quite intensely for about 9hrs, and then very quickly shut off.  You only had to drive 15-20 miles west of the QC and you were completely out of the snow.

2ewi6ap.jpg

Radar loop

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Tomorrow night is the 11th anniversary of one of my favorite snowstorms.  This was an incredibly difficult forecast for DVN, as there was a very sharp drop-off in amounts on the northwest side of the deformation band.  Model run to run differences meant the difference between nothing, or a warning criteria event.  Finally by that night it became clear that the snow would back far enough northwest to impact us pretty significantly as the storm deepened over eastern IL.  That last minute deepening of the surface low is what shoved the band northwestward enough to get us into that heavy snow.  It seemed to take forever to get here, but the snow finally backed in from the southeast just before midnight.  It went from nothing to moderate snowfall in a very short time, and the winds quickly picked up as well with the arrival of the snow.  Snowed quite intensely for about 9hrs, and then very quickly shut off.  You only had to drive 15-20 miles west of the QC and you were completely out of the snow.

2ewi6ap.jpg

Radar loop

That one was a real pain in the neck for me.  Ended up significantly more northwest than it appeared about 60-72 hours out.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That one was a real pain in the neck for me.  Ended up significantly more northwest than it appeared about 60-72 hours out.  

Quite a northerly movement to it.  I would have been biting my finger nails. I didn't live here then, but it looks like this area got some of the heaviest in Michigan. Around 10 inches. Did you get any ice?

20 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Quite a northerly movement to it.  I would have been biting my finger nails. I didn't live here then, but it looks like this area got some of the heaviest in Michigan. Around 10 inches. Did you get any ice?

I actually chased this one (one of the few synoptic storms I've chased) because I was so ticked lol.  Ended up west of Chicago where they got hit pretty good.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I actually chased this one (one of the few synoptic storms I've chased) because I was so ticked lol.  Ended up west of Chicago where they got hit pretty good.

The NAM put out some insane precip forecasts in that deform zone from MO to IL.  I used to have a few model forecast images saved on an old PC.  Think it was like 3-4" of precip at one point.  Princeton IL did end up reporting 18" IIRC.  The snow that fell here was fairly dense, probably around 10:1 LSR.  

Archived