Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Jonger said:

The tip of the thumb in Michigan has always had a bullseye on it for wind farms. There has been quite a bit of interest in allowing off shore wind farms in the great lakes. I think it's currently banned.

There are wind farms all around here. That’s all you see when you drive around here anymore. 

17 hours ago, roardog said:

There are wind farms all around here. That’s all you see when you drive around here anymore. 

Sounds kinda like the novelty may be wearing off. When it does you can write Gore a thank you note. We should harness the Sun, but not in the passive way currently touted. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been on the road (moving house) and I will look into getting a contest thread going this weekend, we'll see if there's enough interest to sustain it or not. I am a bit out of the loop on recent weather events, has anybody had any snow yet?

I just saw enough to satisfy my cravings on the road yesterday, nothing close to sea level around this region yet, but plenty in the mountains. It has started a bit early so perhaps a sign of a west coast trough, not the best news for snow lovers east of about Omaha. 

I was just playing around with my CoCoRaHS stats and realized how rare a 6" snowfall is around my area. I've been keeping them since 5/12/2006, so for 11 winters.  In those 11 winters, I've only recorded five 6" snowfalls. (I also had 5.9" on 3/4-5/2008). That averages out to one 6" snow every two years.

Also, I've had at least 6" on the ground for 74 days, or less than 7 days a year. The longest stretch of 6" on the ground was 2/5-20/2014 (16 days).

No wonder I weenie out at the prospects of a 6" snowfall.

3 hours ago, geddyweather said:

GFS has quite a thumper on the cold side for everyone from TX to parts of PA & OH, but it looks like it's the only one atm (at least in the limited number of models I available during my break lol). 252 hrs out? Weeeeeee

I would really love for this to happen but not holding my breath.

Buffalo,

Thanks for the info. you posted on the other thread. I have also looked at the Perrysburg area and other locations on the Chautauqua ridge. It seems like there are more opportunities in that area than the Tug. However, we actually want to be closer to my family than hers. :) My family lives in Northeastern PA, so the Tug is a better location to be closer to them. I'm not complaining. Ha! I just have to keep patiently searching for employment.

13 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Buffalo,

Thanks for the info. you posted on the other thread. I have also looked at the Perrysburg area and other locations on the Chautauqua ridge. It seems like there are more opportunities in that area than the Tug. However, we actually want to be closer to my family than hers. :) My family lives in Northeastern PA, so the Tug is a better location to be closer to them. I'm not complaining. Ha! I just have to keep patiently searching for employment.

Yeah, the city of Buffalo is actually making a comeback Economically. The colleges here are thriving and people are actually moving back into the city. The real estate market is just insanity right now. We've been looking for a house for 2 years in the Hamburg area, houses are going for 20-25% over market value. The outskirts and rural areas are still pretty cheap though and usually those spots get more snow. If you want to be really close to the city of Buffalo and still get a lot of snow Boston Hills, Springville, and Colden would be the spots. They're only 15 minutes from my house. Springville would probably be my choice for most snow/convenience to downtown Buffalo ratio. If you guys are in the medical/IT field I'd recommend moving to WNY for career aspects. But otherwise if you're going for most snow, the tug is where it's at. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah, the city of Buffalo is actually making a comeback Economically. The colleges here are thriving and people are actually moving back into the city. The real estate market is just insanity right now. We've been looking for a house for 2 years in the Hamburg area, houses are going for 20-25% over market value. The outskirts and rural areas are still pretty cheap though and usually those spots get more snow. If you want to be really close to the city of Buffalo and still get a lot of snow Boston Hills, Springville, and Colden would be the spots. They're only 15 minutes from my house. Springville would probably be my choice for most snow/convenience to downtown Buffalo ratio. If you guys are in the medical/IT field I'd recommend moving to WNY for career aspects. But otherwise if you're going for most snow, the tug is where it's at. 

The city of Buffalo is improving drastically. Not being from the city but travelling there every 2-3 months for airports, sabres games, bills games ect.. its really pulling its weight and putting the recent past behind it. 

Im from the Western GTA, looking to buy a house in the Niagara region on the Canadian side. Though nowhere near the amounts you get, I'm excited for the few events that give Niagara 3-6 inches of quick hitting lake effect before it sinks south. Niagara also gets "spray" lake effect from Lake Ontario. No bands really set up just unorganized mess but it still gives 1-3 inches. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

HHmmmm, wonder if I can get my wife to relocate :) 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Not worth, you have the perfect setup there. You're plot of land and house is amazing. You would have to move to Tug to make it worth it I think for how much you already receive there and retain. 

Yea I am pretty happy where I am :). If I had one wish it would be for Lake Michigan to be about 500 miles wider :)

2 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

The city of Buffalo is improving drastically. Not being from the city but travelling there every 2-3 months for airports, sabres games, bills games ect.. its really pulling its weight and putting the recent past behind it. 

Im from the Western GTA, looking to buy a house in the Niagara region on the Canadian side. Though nowhere near the amounts you get, I'm excited for the few events that give Niagara 3-6 inches of quick hitting lake effect before it sinks south. Niagara also gets "spray" lake effect from Lake Ontario. No bands really set up just unorganized mess but it still gives 1-3 inches. 

Yeah it really is a surprise. Back in the late 90s, early 2000s I thought the city was a lost cause. The turnaround has been incredible. Today is also the anniversary of the big LES storm from 3 years ago. 

Archived