SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxChallenge 2017-2018

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

66/45/24

Well seeing I'm pretty close to OHwether is comforting. :lol: I really was freaking out about the low. I felt like I should go lower but ultimately decided there'd be enough southerly wind and clouds to warm them even if they do slip into the low 40s before 06z. Went aggressive on the high with 12-13C 925 mb temps. and a strong southerly wind.

Today was ok...am hoping to sneak another 1-2 knots out of the wind later ahead of the front, but I sort of doubt I get that.

For tomorrow, tough forecast, went 57/32/21/0

Pretty good agreement on temps dipping a bit through 1-2z and then rising a little bit late this evening.  It's very rare that models keep CLE's temp warm enough at night when there's a good SW wind, and clouds increase soon, so I went a little warmer than the HRRR for the 6z high.  It's handling the current temps at CLE well enough and is just a little too cool by a degree or two upstream, so I don't think the high will be much warmer than 57 or 58, but I also doubt it's much cooler.  The low for tomorrow evening was pretty tough.  There is some wooded area surrounding the airport and they're next to a river valley so they can radiate well if conditions are right...the PGF is very weak tomorrow evening, skies look clear, dew points will be below freezing, and CLE can cool fairly well with a very light SE wind...which along with many raw models (including the Euro) quickly dropping below freezing tomorrow evening made it intriguing.  I leaned towards the cooler models but didn't quite go all out as I'm not 100% confident.  If temps are a little warmer than modeled during the FROPA tonight there's a brief window for winds near 20 knots along and just behind the front.  

If I get close on the wind for today (which I think it will be) it'll be a good day regardless, but the low I'm nervous about.  It may get stuck at 35-36 with temps running several degrees warmer than modeled right now, a short window of good radiating conditions, and the raw models backing off a bit on the cold conditions this evening. 

47/33/10/0

Wasn't confident in the low...if the land breeze can overpower the onshore flow late tonight they could get below freezing late...pretty close to 50/50 odds IMO.  If they keep some onshore wind they'll stay up a few degrees.  For tomorrow evening good conditions to drop but increasing high clouds makes that questionable as well.  For the high, there's a pretty stout low-level inversion that should limit mixing heights and the potential to get too much warmer than guidance.  Dew points upstream are in the 20s with no hints of stratus, even downwind of Lake Michigan, so I don't buy the models keeping a low deck of stratus under the inversion all day...so I doubt they're stuck in the low 40s like some of the hi-res models have.  

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

47/33/10/0

Wasn't confident in the low...if the land breeze can overpower the onshore flow late tonight they could get below freezing late...pretty close to 50/50 odds IMO.  If they keep some onshore wind they'll stay up a few degrees.  For tomorrow evening good conditions to drop but increasing high clouds makes that questionable as well.  For the high, there's a pretty stout low-level inversion that should limit mixing heights and the potential to get too much warmer than guidance.  Dew points upstream are in the 20s with no hints of stratus, even downwind of Lake Michigan, so I don't buy the models keeping a low deck of stratus under the inversion all day...so I doubt they're stuck in the low 40s like some of the hi-res models have.  

How bout the southerly winds tomorrow night? Or are they light enough you think it won't have an impact on rad. cooling?

56/30/27/0.24

Made most of my forecast last night without the benefit of the USL. I ultimately decided my original high of 53F was too low especially given what happened last week. I kept everything else the same though I did consider upping the winds a bit given how impressive the GFS MOS 3 hourlies were. Hoping that since it's going to be a WAA situation the wind won't mix enough to get them to 30 kts+ at least tonight. All bets are off when the front goes through. The low is interesting to me, I could see how the USL ends up being right as they more or less run out of cold air to advect and just sit in the mid-30s. However, it seems models often underdo the CAA initially which I'm thinking will allow them to get below freezing.

34/22/18

Really went crazy figuring out the high. I initially had 32 so we'll see if I get burned. I just saw they got to 42 today even with a lot of clouds around. With 925s 4-5C cooler tomorrow I figured they should get in the 33-35 range. Looked like some good CAA tomorrow night so took the under on the low.

• 1 month later...

Archived