Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Record Breaking Heat Wave

Hoosier

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be by far the biggest heatwave of the year in the Midwest. DTW set a record of 91 sat and tied 89 yesterday. They will likely not hit any records today or tomorrow. 

Unless we hit 90 today or tomorrow, DTW will finish 2017 with 5 days of 90+, well below the normal of 12. The breakdown is 3 of these in spring, 1 in summer, 1 in Fall lol

I've already moved on to tomorrow lol

NAM would get it very close to 90 tomorrow.  GFS a little cooler.  Tomorrow will have organized sw/wsw flow ahead of the front... something we haven't seen a lot of lately.  Curious to see the RAP/HRRR later.

I just can't envision it happening tomorrow.

I'll continue to ride with 87.

56 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

This has to be by far the biggest heatwave of the year in the Midwest. DTW set a record of 91 sat and tied 89 yesterday. They will likely not hit any records today or tomorrow. 

Unless we hit 90 today or tomorrow, DTW will finish 2017 with 5 days of 90+, well below the normal of 12. The breakdown is 3 of these in spring, 1 in summer, 1 in Fall lol

DTW hit 90. So 3 times in spring, 1 time in summer, 2 times in Fall :lol:

One thing I was curious about with this streak is if the lakefront location prior to 1942 helped with breaking some of these records. It turns out that it may have with the records on 9/20 and 9/24. On 9/20/1931, Midway Airport hit 92 degrees, so this year would've been a tie using MDW data as the official Chicago record. On 9/24/1891, the previous record holder for 9/24 with 91°, the Aurora COOP hit 96 degrees.

Midway was the Chicago climate site for previous 9/21-22 records and none of the non-lakefront sites on 9/23/1937 were warmer than this year, so those are very impressive record highs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI a degree behind yesterday at this time.  2 degrees behind here.  Upper 80s it is.

It seems a bit strange that temps are ratcheting back a degree or two per day during a heat wave.  Usually at the least temps stay as warm as the spell goes on, if not warmer.  Especially with an incoming cold front.  

Woops.  Up to 91 now here.

Today is the 6th consecutive day on which the temperature reached or exceeded 90° in Chicago. It is also the 6th consecutive day on which the temperature set or broke the daily high temperature record. That ties the record for longest September heat wave with 9/8-13 1931 and 9/4-9/1959. It also further exceeds the previous record of 4 consecutive days after September 15, which was set from September 19-22, 1895 and tied during September 15-19, 1955.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW hit 90. So 3 times in spring, 1 time in summer, 2 times in Fall :lol:

Toledo has hit 90 today, so they have had four 90 degree days June, one in July, and five in September. None in August. Toledo's hottest temp in August was 87, which is fairly unusual.

40 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

If you're including ties, then March 2012 had 9 consecutive. Including only new records set, it was 5 straight 3/14-18 a tie on 3/19 and 3 straight on 3/20-22.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, good catch.  I had taken a quick look at Calendar Day Summaries in the NOWData section, which only lists the most recent occurrence in the event of a tie.

I discovered something interesting about the non-hot August. Toledo's maximum monthly temperature of 87 in August was very unusual. An August max of 87 or less has only happened in the Augusts of 2017, 1986, 1981, 1967, 1915, 1904, 1882, 1877, and 1875. That's 9 times since 1873, or once per every 16 years, and only 6 times since 1900. Source: NWS NOWDATA, "Toledo Area" which merges Toledo City data in the old days with Toledo Express Airport (post-1954). Of course, if you were to count the 88's, then the number would go up somewhat.

8 hours ago, Chinook said:

By the way, I was looking at the GFS yesterday and I saw that a couple of time periods had a 5910m contour pop up yesterday. I have not seen that in the northern states in September.

DTX said they did officially measure heights of 591dm overhead yesterday.

EDIT: A couple runs of the GFS were showing heights above 594dm with the potential warm spell upcoming in October.

Throwing caution to the wind and going with 90 at ORD tomorrow.  Wouldn't even be shocked at 91.  Mild start again, and going to gamble on clouds not being enough of a factor in time to stop it.  The signs are there with model performance in this pattern, and trends, including the early runs of the RAP and HRRR.

Archived